Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. wwguy

wwguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a shot from yesterday's afternoon ride along the front range of the Owyhee Mountains in SW Idaho. Basically our local high desert OHV area when snow starts kicking us out of the timber this time of year.

On a clear day it really does seem like you can see forever. Or at least as far as my eyes can see, LOL.

[​IMG]

If interested I posted a few scenic shots riding the same area last week on my Beta 300 two-stroke here in this thread.
  2. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Okidoki, after a proper warm up into town and back and let it sit for 5 minutes when I returned home I then twiddled with the CO and ended up setting at +15, the sound from the muffler was the smoothest and it was a nice even beat, set at 25 it was beating but every 5-7 seconds the was a slight stumble of sorts suggestion a little high.

Will run with 15 now.

Checked my TPS, 16-97 is the setting, with the T400 cam throttle and setting my CO the bike is pretty good as is, I may adjust this if I get bored, will see.
  3. MudDodger

MudDodger n00b

Oddometer:
  4. KevinMTB

KevinMTB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    greenboy 667 likes this.
  5. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know, that picture exemplifies why I ride off-road. Around where I live, huge numbers of people are migrating to the thousands of nearby new homes being built for commuters who travel to nearby high-paying bay-area jobs. The roads are now choked, traffic is plagued with bad manners, and it just isn't the same small town I grew up in. The constant barrage of bad news on TV, the increasing stupidity of human civilization sometimes just makes being in the middle of all that a downer. So...I ride. Up in the hills, you can look across the valleys and see that the world is more than us. These machines provide a kind of freedom that cannot be had otherwise.
  6. max384

max384 Bandaided Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am envious of the offroad riding available out west and the scenic views that come with it. I'm lucky to live in an old coal area, where there are tons of trails through the woods. I discover new ones nearly every time I ride. And part of my daily commute back and forth to work is through trails (assuming I'm taking my bike, not my truck. lol). It's great riding, but the scenery just isn't there... Not like it is out west. Every time you guys post these scenic vistas and whatnot, I start getting stir-crazy.
    Bitingdog and Bugchewer like this.
  7. wwguy

wwguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here. I travel extensively for work and Idaho has been my happy safe place to return to. But even little old Boise ID is getting that way as growth outpaces funding and building critical infrastructure like roads and schools. This year we made the unenviable #1 spot on Forbes list of Fastest Growing American Cities. (Apparently everyone is moving here because some idiot keeps posting photos on the internet of riding dirt bikes in idyllic natural settings.)

Riding takes me away from all that, which is probably another reason I enjoy solo riding so much. It's my Happy Place.

[​IMG]
    Plebeian, Bugchewer, Dirtleg and 4 others like this.
  8. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like that procycle cap is the same as the acerbis cap at rmatvmc. But rmatvmc says that it only fits acerbis tanks, procycle says that it fits acerbis, ims, and Safari?
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1367/38227/Acerbis-Locking-Gas-Cap?c=13
    How does the procycle cap handle the different tanks?
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yes same cap. Someone on the DR thread found it fit way back when.
    I'M on my 2nd IMS tank with Acerbis cap fitting. Buy it where you want or not.
  10. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    We have our "safari" only cap which I am currently using on the IMS, I had lent the cap to my mate with an Acerbis on a DR.

Same same.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  11. KLRWiley

KLRWiley Wiley

Oddometer:
    but different
  12. Kempy

Kempy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had n acerbis tank cap which does fit the safari but it’s tighter than it should be so suspect the safari thread is different, it does work though
  13. Einhorn

Einhorn ADVaddicted

Oddometer:
    Very nice picture! You remind me of my own in the Greek mountains at an altitude of about 2000 meters! (about 6500 feet)

[​IMG]
    Bitingdog, simmons1, ACR and 12 others like this.
  14. Kuttula

Kuttula 2011 WR250R, 2005 KTM 250 EXC, 2007 DRZ400SM

Oddometer:
    I used to swap CO settings every ride between on and off road. At the time I felt that changing it made it better off road in low RPM, but at the cost of high RPM performance. However after a while I realized I wasn't even noticing any difference off road anymore so I just left it at stock.

In regards to the snatchy throttle off idle. I did the fix detailed by Liberty1 here: http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t12385-snatchy-off-idle-throttle-response-fixed

This fix was super quick and easy, and it WORKED! I turned it up as high as I could while keeping the idle at 2k. I was worried I wouldn't like the higher idle, but I don't notice it at all. Literally no downsides to this, and you can do all the changes with just lifting the tank up, you don't even have to disconnect it. You will Need the jointed 1/4" socket tool though. Best part is if you hate it, it's so easy and quick you could just change it back really easily.

The snatchyness is caused by some rule that when the throttle is completely closed all fuel flow must stop completely. The mod bypasses the rule by keeping the throttle always just slightly open, because you are still in the idle range the idle screw lets to turn it down to a normal level. This prevents the 0 throttle fuel shut off scenario, which is what causes the jerkiness when the throttle has to go from ON to OFF to ON. I am sure Yamaha intended every off road enthusiast to do this mod, because it was so easy and obvious.

Real world performance was instantly noticeable when doing slow figure 8's on wet pavement. Before the mod whenever I transitioned the throttle on or off my rear tire would skid out as it was being jerked around so much. After the mod everything was totally smooth on and off. On actual off road the change was night and day better performance increase, way better when negotiating rock gardens.

A side note comparing a stock geared bike to a bike with slightly lowered gearing back to back I realized that with the stock gearing the snatchyness was way less noticeable as with my slightly lowered gearing.

I never messed around with my TPS, because I did a TPS mod on my FZ1 a long time ago and it was a major pain in the ass to get to and the security bit screws would just strip immediately. It was stressful and I never wanted to mess with it again haha.

Also the ODI grips come with a quicker turn cam that I use now instead of the old R6 throttle tube. Getting a quick turn throttle was another huge improvement for me off road throttle response.

Edit: I forgot to mention how I never noticed at all how terrible the snachyness was until after riding my 2 stroke for a season then getting back on the WR250R. After switching rides for a while it felt unbearably bad in comparison.
    Two Moto Kiwis likes this.
  15. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting... I noticed that lowering gearing slightly (14/50) helped reduce the snatchy 1st gear herks n' jerks...
  16. mf13368

mf13368 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The CO discussion prompted me to try to check mine. Can get to Diag mode but can't get to CO.
  17. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Do you have to jump the black wire for US bikes?

Also once you get to CO you have to push and hold select 1 and reset simataniously that shoud bring up C1.

I will try the Liberty 1 trick but I am pretty happy with where mine is at now ...still, always up for a play.
  18. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I changed my CO setting and it helped a bit but still far from perfect. I did the Liberty1 change (increase idle speed) but will soon put it back to normal as it feels weird while doing hard braking entering a corner.

Other than this issue my WR is perfect for ADV rides. I’ll eventually do the TPS change and hope that finally fixes it. You can get around the snatchyness by feathering the clutch but that’s annoying.

I’m starting to lust after a carburetor. Should I go see a psychiatrist?

Bitingdog and Plebeian like this.
  19. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes you do.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  20. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Nah... start talking carbs and they will swing you on a stupid way out diet :D

Funny, we have our 2007 Super Enduro R with 93000 on the clock, been looking at replacement moto for our two up riding here in NZ, while I don't mind technology the amount of hippyshit on the new motos is turning riders into steerers.

Enter 1 Super Enduro, 100 trench cutting hooligan horsepower, no ABS, no traction control, no launch control, no wheelie control, only Andi outacontrol AND Carburetors :clap...me thinks she is gonna get a big birthday and live again, not much to get her back on the road.

PlowHand, see you at the clinic :wings
    PlowHand, Bitingdog and rsteiger like this.