Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:

It would be an interesting experiment to have two identical bikes, and the only difference is that one makes more intake and exhaust noise. They both make the same power. Then have a group of people ride them and ask which makes more power.
  2. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my CDR trip through Wyoming, a ranger informed me Union Pass is where the problematic grizzly from Yellowstone get dropped off. Not an area you want to camp along CDR. I agree. Try to know your surroundings and ride through ( don't camp ) if you have any doubts. I travel with canister of bear spray strapped to my MOSKO R40. Somewhere very accessible.

29709021215_52ec6eb2d6_b.jpg
  3. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Bear spray is the best way to go, it requires very little aim in a moment of panic. It is also more likely to work. A bullet is more likely to just piss a bear off more unless it is placed with precision. Bear spray works on meth head humans too!
  4. greenboy 667

greenboy 667 Keep your bloatocycle - I want a PR7!

Oddometer:
    Bear spray in montana. But elsewhere?

[​IMG]
    Dirtleg, Bitingdog and Yinzer Moto like this.
  5. mekros

mekros Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Time to throw in a silly question....

There has been a perception in the various threads that the WRR has gotten more torque over the years. Does anyone know roughly what year this happened? Has there been any documentation from Yamaha saying there has been a mapping or other update?

Thanks!
  6. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:
    I have both a 2008 and a 2015. Over 40K miles experience between both bikes. With stock gearing, exhaust, and tires I cannot feel any difference in engine output. I also swapped with my buddy for part of a trip, and neither of us could feel any difference between my '15 and his '17.

With 17" S/M tires, the lower rolling resistance and effective lower gearing makes the bike just a bit peppier and tractable.
  7. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I always tell people the ones with the gold forks make more power because I have one with gold forks but in reality they are all the same.

My wife’s is an 08 and mine is a 15. They are the same bike.
  8. mekros

mekros Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks BluePill and Yinzer. Good to hear real world experience.
  9. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    My experience is just the opposite. I had an 08, bought it new, and it always made most of its power up higher...I now have a '15 and it has good low end and a solid midrange - I swear it has about 5 HP more than the 08 did. The '15 pulls a gear higher everywhere and will easily cruise about 5 MPH faster. The '15 is a 49 state bike, and the 08 was a 50 state bike (CA approved). The difference is so great I even checked to make sure it wasn't an overbore engine...LOL... no kidding! One thing I think is happening is the mixture is richer across the board - there is no lean feeling anywhere like the 08 had - it feels like an off-road 250 power-wise. I wonder if the CA bikes had/have a different MAP.
    GF-kam likes this.
  10. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    The gold forks handle better. Everybody knows that!
    Dirtleg, woofer2609 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  11. Arrivo

Arrivo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody who lives at 5300' feet and rides to 11-12,000 feet care to share your FMF EFI settings, I'd appreciate it! I have a 2013 WR250R. Q4, Powerbomb header, FMF programmer - 333888 is where it is set (the bike was in Georgia)
    Proud Highway likes this.
  12. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Did you carefully look at both the 2008 and 2015 WR250R to makes sure the AIM, EXUP, air box stuff, and mufflers look identical ?? Did you check the drive and rear sprocket size? Identical ?

Only one way to find out. Maybe we can all chip in $10 bucks to help get both these bike put on a professional Dyno.

Logic would say that if all WR250R have identical parts, the only difference is fuel mapping. Interesting. So maybe the biggest gain is through fuel mapping.

Very interesting. Thanks.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  13. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both bikes have the stock exhaust, no modifications to the smog stuff, and I had the gearing slightly lower on the '08 as it didn't pull that great unless it was wound up more, the '15 has stock gearing. The airboxes were modified on both bikes. The 08 had the charcoal cannister, the '15 being a 49 state bike, does not. I bought the '15 used with low mileage. When I'd dice with some friends on the '08 I kept the engine bouncing off the rev-limiter, the '15 actually runs better in the mid-range. Very strange - but good - as I really like the '15 much more than the '08 I had, and I thought the '08 was a great bike. Mebbe it has a bad chip that makes it run better...LOL.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  14. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:
    Could be production tolerance differences. Example: If the actual fuel pressure regulator in the '15 was a bit off-spec on the high side, the common mid-range lean condition could be eliminated by a slightly richer mixture. Or the exact positioning of the spark pickup coil gives another one or two more degrees of advance.

The idea behind "Blueprinting" an engine is to take every specification tolerance and set it to the side of spec. that favors performance. Once in awhile, the stack-up of variation ends up that way in production, and you get a de facto blueprint engine from the factory.
    kawagumby, rsteiger and Bitingdog like this.
  15. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    Saturday in Squamish. I am so pleased with the Motoz Enduro IT rear tire. Even with only 40% tread remaining, It's still hooking up well 20181118_025457.jpg 20181118_025555.jpg Screenshot_20181118-025050_YouTube.jpg
  16. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was looking for a different rear tire to try on my WRR. Something that is a bit more aggressive but will wear fairly well. I have ran the rear D606 before and so far that seems to work the best for me in terms of aggressiveness and tire life. However, I have read some good things about the Motoz Enduro IT rear tire and then I also have read some not so good things. One of the user comments on RMATV is that the tire does not do well in muddy loose single track but your pictures would seem to indicate that it does a pretty decent job.

So how does it perform in muddy loose single track and what sort of mileage are you getting out of them?
  17. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes a rear tire can make the difference, some is way bigger in diameter, and weighs a ton, this would alter the gearing significant. I've had tires so different that I needed to change the front sprocket to get back close to the ratio before the new tire.
    Perhaps this could be part of the difference, together with a clogged airfilter (or the use of different airfilteroil, ect ect)
    rsteiger likes this.
  18. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    Hello Mr. Steiger,
    I have been very pleased with this tire in mud, sand dunes, roots and rocks. It's killer app however is steep and loose hillclimbs. There is no offroad surface that this tire doesn't best the D606. On pavement, their roughly equal, both lean over & grip well. Like the D606, it's a bit noisy between 45-55 mph, but above 55 gets significantly quieter. Lifespan on pavement favors the D606 by about 30%, but the Tractionator IT lasts better than the D606 offroad (I'm thinking because it grips better, much less wheelspin)

I'm currently at about 3300 kilometers (2000 miles +/-) and have 40% tread remaining. My riding is 75% off pavement, 25% on.

When I bought the Motoz Enduro IT, the only size in stock was a 130/90/18. Larger than the 120's I usually run, but there have been no ill effects. No noticeable difference in power. Bike is a stock 2014 with 14x52 sprockets
    Dirtleg, ACR, mk23 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those of you that have lowered the rear with just the stock shock clevis adjustment, did you also lower the front by raising the forks or just keep it stock?

Has anyone here played with the front height to see how it changes the handling of the bike?

I am thinking about lowering the rear with the stock clevis and wondering what I should do for the front.
  20. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have not done this to my WRR but I rode a friend's WRR who maxed out the rear but kept the forks in the stock position.

The bike changed directions pretty quick with that setup but it also was prone to head shaking on the highway at highway speeds. Depending on how much you drop the rear my guess would be the bike would be less prone to headshake at HW speeds but may tend to push the front in the turns.

Best thing to do is first set your sag and then I would drop the rear and ride the bike to see what you think. If you want to increase how fast it turns then raise the forks in the triples a little bit. Don't be afraid to play around with it until you find something you like.
    Bitingdog likes this.