Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap
  2. greenboy 667

greenboy 667 Keep your bloatocycle - I want a PR7!

Oddometer:
    If I had a Rekluse I'd use both. And park without pointing uphill or downhill so much. But I already had that sussed out.
    Adanac rider likes this.
  3. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where have you been? You still have a clutch lever with a Rekluse but the effort is higher. Maybe I have been in training for a Rekluse and didn't know it?
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  4. greenboy 667

greenboy 667 Keep your bloatocycle - I want a PR7!

Oddometer:
    Is it? I've read it both ways. Even on the Rekluse site ; } ...Only way to know is to get your own and do a good job adjusting everything because hearsay is too much like taking someone's word on their seat-of-pants dyno testing.
    rsteiger and Border411 like this.
  5. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the best way, but what I've used on several bikes, including my current KDX200 is an easy clutch... they're especially good if you need additional cable length, which sometimes happens with bar risers and such. You can also get these from China for about $15, and yes, they work fine too. I also use a Magura hydraulic clutch on my YZ250, but IMO, it really isn't that much better than the Easy Clutch, and it costs nearly ten times more. Easy Clutches have three leverage points so you can adjust the friction zone somewhat.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moose-Easy-Pull-Clutch-System/312158808926?epid=1741529624&hash=item48ae1d6b5e:rk:4:pf:0&checksum=312158808926bfc3e763ac5b4f989d4c05ad6408c21e&enc=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
    rsteiger likes this.
  6. Border411

Border411 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outlaw Racing also makes an EZ Pull clutch setup. Only thing that you have to disconnect is the clutch safety switch. What I like about the OR clutch setup is that the cable adjuster actually swings to keep the cable inline better. With the RSC clutch lever the angle is extremely severe, which increases drag and I would assume wear out that area of the cable quicker. I bought the OR unit and my bike is a true "1-finger" operable clutch with a significantly increased engagement zone.

Oh.... And I bought it new for $15.
  7. max384

max384 Bandaided Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you buy the cable, buy two. Then when you install it, run both cables side by side, but only connect one. This way if your clutch cable breaks while you're out on a ride, replacing it with your spare is quick and easy, and you've always got a spare. I've been doing this for years, and it paid off big time when I had a cable snap about a thousand miles from home on a trip.

I would have have gone with that one, except I like a shorty lever, and they didn't have a short option.
    PlowHand and Yinzer Moto like this.
  8. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol.. You are funny.. I had GO RACE upgrade my WRR suspension and since then I have let at least eight experienced riders of WRR and other makes of bikes ride it and they ALL have been amazed how planted, controllable and compliant the bike is now.

these are riders of all the major brands.

I don't have to justify the expense to upgrade....they do it for me with their comments.. And I enjoy it every ride because it IS that much better and worth every penny.

Your comments suggest you have never ridden much other than a stock suspension..which is sad because the stock WRR suspension truly needs upgrades..
  9. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have go race, good stuff and very affordable. I am talking about DLC coatings, cone valves, etc. Not basic services that Go Race provides.

And if you paid anywhere within the price range that I listed, you are an idiot. Go Race is cheap compared to what I am talking about.
    N8 likes this.
  10. NWRambler

NWRambler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just happen to have the OR lever on the way myself. Curious though, I assume you've got one finger operation using the innermost cable option, which pulls less cable. Does it clearly pull enough to shift smoothly?
  11. Border411

Border411 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It takes some fine tuning, but it works perfectly on my bike.

Also @max384 .... Isn't that what they make hacksaws for?! (Haha!). I actually have my perch moved in a little so it is just enough for 2 fingers to grab on, but miss my ring finger when I pull it in all the way, which I rarely need to do.
    max384 likes this.
  12. max384

Oddometer:
    I had actually considering buying the OR clutch lever and doing just that, and then rounding off the cut end. The biggest reason I didn't go this route is because there wouldn't any sort of "nub" on the end of the lever, and I was worried by fingers would slip off. I didn't want to cut it down, find out I didn't like it, and then spend the money on the RSC anyhow. I'm actually surprised they don't make a short version, considering how popular the shorty levers are.
  13. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where have I been? I'm a guy who has ridden with a Rekluse for probably 15 years now. Clutch lever is still there and it's a pretty decoration sitting on a handlebar that doesn't get used so who cares what the clutch pull effort is.
    rsteiger likes this.
  14. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use to do that but when needed I found the spare to be gummed up quite a bit from dirt and water over the years it was sitting there not being used. The reality is I probably should replace that cable every couple of years especially given the cost of a new cable.
  15. sperduton

Oddometer:
    Well I'm am on the adventure rider website, not enduro rider.
    Yup, that statement you wrote exactly describes me. I'm over 50 with a family, I'm really short (28 inch inseam), extrememly fat and out of shape and I don't ride anywhere near as much as I want to ride. Yup a rekluse helps me be able to ride further and longer. If people didn't want to ride further and longer with less effort, we would all be riding dual shock bikes with 3 inches of suspension travel and drum brakes. Now I'll go back to my maps planning out my 1200 mile dirt trek for next summer and shopping for a WR for my kid. That's more fun than discussing rekluse clutches.
    rsteiger likes this.
  16. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on that Brother!

I am in my late 50's (so to be exiting the 50's) with a family... and looks like I am starting over again with a 4 y/o. Planning on a trip out to Arkansas this April with my brother and one of his friends from CO and I know what you mean about mapping out the ride. Usually I end up putting a bunch of tracks in the GPS with a plan in mind but once I get there the plan goes out the window but all the mapping comes in real handy.

"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything" - Dwight D. Eisenhower
    PlowHand likes this.
  17. sperduton

Oddometer:
    Yup. I'm a big gps user also. I'm will be riding a combo of the Michigan Trail Safari and the Michigan Dual Sport Safari.
    PlowHand and rsteiger like this.
  18. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just had a final (from me) thought on the recluse system. I had a 96’ Harley FXSTS (beautiful chromed springer front end!) that I commuted through Orlando on each day for a couple years. MUCH stop-n-go traffic, so much so that I also commuted on a bicycle (32 miles round trip) that only took 15 minutes longer than a motorcycle or a cage! That would have been a great application for the recluse. If I was in the market for a new street machine today I would most likely get a Honda Africa Twin because of several reasons but their “automatic” transmission would make it just that much more attractive to me. An air conditioned riding suit would also have been nice in that Orlando heat and humidity.

About 10 years ago I bought a couple of automatic 50cc machines for my grandchildren and their friends to ride (they had trouble getting them away from the adults). It was weird not having a clutch to operate, and teach them how to use a clutch. Also, none of the kids got hurt on them - but several of the adults did. That was another good application for an automatic clutch.

I think the recluse is a great option for the right person and situation. Many seem to really like them.

Have I ever mentioned that I love my WRR? :thumb

Yinzer Moto and rsteiger like this.
  19. sperduton

Oddometer:
    Me TOO !!!! I mean I love my WRR, not your WRR...:-)
  20. max384

Oddometer:
    Yeah, replacing the cable often is cheap insurance. I never really ran into too much of an issue with the spare cable. There was always a bunch of grease and grime on it by the clutch end, but that just wiped off. I just feel better having it there. BTW, when I replace my clutch cables, I continue leaving the spare one in place. Basically, it's just a spare for emergencies.
    rsteiger likes this.