Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that is going to be one of the biggest face palms of 2019. People are going to buy it because it is DOT and be upset they only got 500 miles out of it. That is a enduro race oriented tire. Many enduro races use public roads to connect trails, street legal tires are checked and required by some race promoters. The FIM designation means it has a tread design that has short tread blocks, so when throwing roost, the roost is directed more rearward, instead of up and out of the trail. This helps slow erosion.
    greenboy 667 likes this.
  2. greenboy 667

greenboy 667 Just say NO to BLOATOCYCLES

Oddometer:

Yeah, that's what it says,

"street-legal enduro rubber for competitions, the Battlecross E50. Leveraging the experience and technologies gained through the development of tires for off-road riding, the Battlecross E50 tires have been designed to deliver high traction and cornering performance on a variety of road surfaces as is required in enduro competitions. The new tires are both DOT approved and compliant with FIM regulations."

FIM regulations: Regulation regarding groove depth to prevent excessive soil excavating by the tire, which may harm the natural environment (groove depth of the rear tire: less than 13mm).
  3. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol... Younger more fit riders are more likely to think they are too good of a rider to benefit from a Rekluse..

Because they think they know it all.

Older more experienced riders know better.
    bradrh likes this.
  4. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Being in my 40’s, I am still learning, maybe one day I’ll slow down a bit. The average age of the dirt bike ride this past Sunday was just under 50. And were were doing stuff like this.

F8E477BD-2ABC-478F-9650-E7CF4C56324E.jpeg

My one dirtbike buddy is in his 70’s and starting to slow down a bit. Is that when I might appreciate a rekluse?
    Bitingdog, 2WheelNeal, wwguy and 4 others like this.
  5. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Hey All,

Do any of you guys have a lead on how to reset readings and lights?

I did the full FMF Pipe and Fuel Mapper and somehow threw a code (presumed to be the flapper code). I added the 12o'clock servo plug and I'm still throwing a code.

Does anyone have a lead on a reset tool?
  6. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:

Bluepill at your service........

Adanac rider and plumber mike like this.
  7. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:
    Sheesh............

Bunch of whiney-ass little kids on this thread. Get out and ride. Take Tylenol with you. Let's see how you're doing when you hit 75 like me.:clap:clap

[​IMG]
  8. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    You don't look a day over 68!
    rsteiger and plumber mike like this.
  9. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    You rock! :thumb

rsteiger likes this.
  10. coresports

coresports DS4Life

Oddometer:
    Thats awesome...I'm 55 and feel im in the 3rd gear of life...assuming of course 6th is just overdrive and barely used No plans on slowing down riding my wrr or windsurfing for that matter...

Bitingdog and PlowHand like this.
  11. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:

:clap:clap:clap
    Bitingdog and 2WheelNeal like this.
  12. samandkimberly

samandkimberly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the weight - I’m 210 lbs and the front fork springs are fine. I did make up a 3/8 spacer set for the fork spring, but took it out after a while.

I went the Racetech route, and the suspension is great. I did it purely because I like to do my own stuff. The GoRace price is great, and I’d much prefer to support a tuner like Travis than Racetech, as my experience has been hit-or-miss with them over the dozen or so kits ive bought over the years.

Both are good choices. I’m sure a new shock is fantastic too.

Sam
    Border411 likes this.
  13. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    So based on the recent activity in this thread, I can only assume that you are using a Rekluse clutch on your WRR? :hide
    wwguy, plumber mike and Tiger993 like this.
  14. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's not a bad idea about being able to remove and sell separately. Do you (or anyone else) know if any shocks available for the WRR have a hydraulic preload adjuster? I put luggage on pretty frequently, but adjusting preload manually with a spanner wrench each time is unrealistic. With an HPA, it would be a breeze.

I'll have to look into these as well. Thanks for posting.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Same thing with the forks, the GoRace valving goes into the forks in just a few minutes of work. I figure, you could pop it out and sell it separately.

I looked into it a while ago and could not find a quick adjuster. Xtrig makes one for most dirtbikes but nothing in the diameter for the WRR. It is a mechanical adjuster but works really nice. It only takes seconds with a 10mm socket to adjust preload. It is aimed at motocross guys. Some like to tinker with preload, small adjustments will change how the bike puts power to the ground and how it turns.
    I was thinking it would be great for our bikes, like you said, sometimes I am unloaded andnothers I have camp gear. I set my sag with camp gear because that is how my bike is usually loaded.
    Bitingdog, 2WheelNeal and GravelRider like this.
  16. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big deal, wait until you lose your hair....
    Just kidding...I'm like you...just ride the damn things!
  17. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:
    Day 2 sorting routes and dealing with closures on the FLorida Adventure Trail. Sill a lovely day of riding.

Made a friend that's full of more bull than I am.:lol3
    IMG_20190212_162718.jpg

IMG_20190212_114333.jpg

IMG_20190212_110532.jpg
    Bitingdog, NEPA 450x, mk23 and 11 others like this.
  18. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I did it right, I'd need new springs. So, a whole new unit, set up for me, with warranty and one free service made some sense. Problem is, I am on a tight hobby-budget and my riding style doesn't require much in the way of performance upgrades... I'm more of a backpacking with a motorcycle guy, not so much an hardcore enduro guy.
    PlowHand, FLICKIT and GravelRider like this.
  19. wwguy

wwguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not aware of your specific increase to weight, or your experience and preference for your specific suspension setup, so please take my comments accordingly.

I just wanted to point out that adjusting preload doesn't increase or decrease spring stiffness, which is what significant changes to rider and/or gear weight requires for optimal suspension performance. Adjusting preload increases or decreases initial bike height, but the spring still compresses at the same rate (except perhaps for progressive springs, but that's another topic.).

For example, consider a stock WRR suspension ideally set up for a 175 lb. rider with 90mm rider/race sag (1/3 of suspension travel) and 25mm static/free sag. Significantly increasing net rider weight (including gear and luggage etc.) lowers the bike and increases rider sag, which I believe is what you're describing above. At this point, you can raise the bike back up by increasing shock spring preload, but it won't solve the underlying problem of a now too-soft spring for the increased weight. The spring will still compress at the rated rate (8.2 kg of force per mm of travel for a stock spring.) Additionally, the actual range of spring stroke (0-95 mm for a stock spring) will be further reduced by the additional preload compression. So basically you'll be sacrificing suspension travel and performance for ride height.

A sure sign that your spring is too soft for the load: Increasing preload to gain correct rider/race sag results in static/free sag decreasing below 20mm or so. It's impossible to change one sag setting without affecting the other. Thus the commonly accepted workflow of setting rider sag first, then checking static sag to see the effect on spring rate. Typically static sag values below 20mm indicate a too-soft spring, and values above 35mm indicate too hard spring. Some riders prefer working within a different range, such as 25mm to 45mm etc., but the relationship between the sag values still reflects the same basic physics.

Granted, dual-sport riding brings additional challenges with varying riding styles and loads throughout the year, but the basic premise of suspension operation is still the same. The million dollar question is how much weight change justifies the expense and effort to swap springs in and out.

I'm not saying that you or anyone else is doing anything right or wrong. I'm just pointing out that adjusting preload is a fine-tuning mechanism for a properly rated spring, and not a valid workaround procedure for an overloaded one.
  20. mekros

mekros Adventurer

Oddometer:

Sorted it out myself, it helps if I use the correct coolant hose.

The build continues...
    Yinzer Moto likes this.