Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely!
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ll have to dig my manual out and get a pic. They must have changed it.
  3. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN) is the only magazine I pay for (the AMA magazine comes with my membership). It’s expensive but well worth it. I’ve used Mobil1 synthetic car oil exclusively for decades with excellent results but have recently switched to Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic. Here is the chart from last months MCN publication...

CF67154F-CD50-4EE2-BA87-B316D616BB0C.jpeg
    woofer2609, Bitingdog, ACR and 6 others like this.
  4. SuperChuck

SuperChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After about four months of reading I just got through all the thousands of backlog posts on this thread. Damm. Now what to do... read it again?
  5. drifteast

drifteast Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, pretty good to go through it all in 4 months! I can't remember when I started reading this thread, maybe January... Started at page 1 (not sure how far I got, I wrote it down somewhere), then as it closer to getting my WR, I switched to the back end and have been keeping up since. Now I just need to fill in the gap :lol3 Awesome thread, though; I've learned a lot and have been keeping track of post numbers that are of interest. :beer
    ACR and SuperChuck like this.
  6. coresports

coresports DS4Life

Oddometer:
    Pretty good few pages where it goes totally off the rails...I can't recall where but really funny stuff

derblauereiter, ACR and SuperChuck like this.
  7. SuperChuck

Oddometer:
    Yeah there's some great stuff here. A lot of repeated stuff, but the repetition and the numerous voices echoing it proves that it's not just one wack job on the internet giving haphazard advice... instead it's a handful of us wack jobs doing so, so I guess that makes it better?

It's great that there are very few breakdown posts. This is a damn reliable bike. There are a couple of contentious exchanges, but very little senseless bickering. Good people on this here thread.

If I could sum it up, it would be discussions of the following,

Suspension
    Tires
    Gearing
    Sump guards & radiator guards
    Reiterating the few recalls to new owners
    Suspension
    Gearing
    Gearing
    Tires
    Suspension
    Pretty pictures from weekend romps
    Gearing

Oh, and chain sliders
  8. barnsy

barnsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    14 litre safari tank. Does anyone know how the pulse pump feeds the factory pump when the the engine is of and fuel level low as it cant self prime when above fuel level?
    darkhelmetnl likes this.
  9. coresports

coresports DS4Life

Oddometer:
    For sure...I've learned more than I thought which proves you really can teach an old dog new tricks! This is the only thread I follow. Ride on!

Yinzer Moto, Bitingdog and SuperChuck like this.
  10. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About how many miles can you get out of a stock rear trailwing tire?

I have 800 miles on my rear tire and leaving for the tat in a couple weeks from Tellico Springs, TN, give or take a few days.

Center lug is at about 9mm measured at the centerline of the tire.

I am wondering how long it will last, trying to figure out where I will be to get a new tire etc....
  11. SuperChuck

Oddometer:
    My OEM rear was bald at 5000 miles, mostly highway riding. It was worthless for dirt far before that though.
    Bitingdog, Ginger Beard and Janus9 like this.
  12. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:

Mine became a liability for offroad riding at around 2500 miles. There was still plenty of tread left and had I not simply wanted to replace it, it would have easily lasted another 1000 miles.
    Bitingdog and Janus9 like this.
  13. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't have the Safari pump, I have the IMS 4.7 gallon with the wings. I'm assuming the Safari tank also has tubes that go to the bottom of the wings and operate on vacuum from the engine? If that's the case, when you first start the engine, there is enough fuel in the lines, and usually a small pool of fuel on the lip of the pump that it will start no problem, and then vacuum will start bringing the fuel up from the wings nearly immediately.
    Kempy likes this.
  14. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't have the Safari tank either but I have a IMS 4.7 with the pump and pickup system similar to the Safari. The engine needs to at least be cranking over to create the vacuum pulses to drive the pump. I believe there is usually enough fuel in the pump to at least get the bike started and after that (or even during cranking) the pump is pulling fuel from the wings. However, if one side of the tank is empty the pump will draw air from that side and not fuel (at least this is my experience on the 4.7 IMS). Normally there is fuel in at least one wing and you have to lay the bike down to get some fuel to the other side and it will run then - unfortunately or fortunately I know this from experience.
  15. coresports

coresports DS4Life

Oddometer:
    I liked my trail wings for what they are...decent around town, dry dirt roads but that's as far as I would ride them...I swapped mine out for better tires well before they were worn out and if at all possible I would before you go..you won't regret it...not sure what the tat involves or your skill level but you will never say 'man I wish I did not have so much traction'.

Bitingdog, drifteast and Janus9 like this.
  16. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese

Oddometer:
    When I did the same thing and finished I started reading ride reports. Starting with the MotoMaverck’s WRr round-the-world journey is a pretty good one!
    SuperChuck likes this.
  17. Kempy

Kempy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Safari tank, never run it dry but have drained it dry a few times when the tank has been off and empty. The pick ups are right at the lowest point so if you run it that low your screwed anyway. Fuel will sit in the pump well which will get the bike going then the vacuum kicks in. Never had a problem with it priming. Why are you concerned ?
  18. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    Go ride!
    ACR, Plebeian, Bitingdog and 3 others like this.
  19. gentimmy

gentimmy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Too hot to ride during the day in TX already - gotta ride at night which means finding yourself in standing water/mud. We are gonna get one last trip to Hidden Falls in before the bikes have to spend the majority of their time in the garage July/Aug

254C41F5-1C56-4DF3-BDE1-1CB4D4CBE5D2.jpeg
    mf13368 likes this.
  20. coresports

coresports DS4Life

Oddometer:
    IMG_20181105_165125586.jpg Still better than the + - 4 months my wrr spends in my living room during the winter if that makes you feel better ha ha

ACR, Plebeian and gentimmy like this.