Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    My 08 oem pump unit said Made in China.
    I bet everyones pump says the same thing.

The replacement Kemso also said Made in China, even though they say Japan. I suspect most every pump in use on every bike is Made in China. It works so what can you do?

That issue was a mfg clearance issue and binding when hot, not an ethanol issue.
    The WRR pump is used in alot of Yamahas. They all had problems those years.

I'm suspecting the fpr failure is a different issue. The bike was stored and thus gas sat in it and probably funked it all up inside.

In the end blue marine Stabil or Startron are the best answers. I long term store with marine Stabil. The red stabil is shit.
    https://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-22240-Marine-Vapor-Technology/dp/B001CAW2DK
  2. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ethanol will absolutely do bad things to plastic tanks. My buddy has a Ducati 848 Nicky Hayden edition (garage queen) and ethanol made the paint on the tank bubble up. Well, guess where Nicky signed them all...on the tank. Took months but Ducati had him sign another tank (luckily happened before his death) and ship it to the dealer who had the inside coated first then reinstalled on the bike. The silver lining is now he has a custom signed tank as Nicky added his # to the signature unlike the original. He also has the original tank on display in his man cave.
    So without question when I winterize the bikes I treat all the fuel and run them a bit to get it all through the system then metal tanks get topped off and all plastic tanks are drained completely and the bikes are run until no fuel is left in the system. This has worked for me for years with no problems.
    Oh, and the fuel cap on my cheap Poulin chainsaw is a bitch to get on and off as well. :lol2

Side note, I also put an exhaust plug in all of them. Same friend had mice pack the exhaust of his Multistrada full of dog food. $2500 for a new aftermarket one. I figured that is cheap insurance. Every year I text him a pic of mine with the exhaust plugs in it when I put them away...friendly reminder and all. lol
    PlowHand likes this.
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    The WR was introduced in 2008, ethanol has been in fuel for a long time at that point, if Yamaha is putting incompatible plastic in the fuel system, that is inexcusable. I doubt they are. Most automotive tanks are plastic, manufacturers have this figured out now. With the exception of some European manufacturers. The other day I read on this site where a guy with a new KTM 790 is having fuel issues because of ethanol, that is inexcusable on the manufacturers part. I have a Scorpa trials bike where the tank is warped because of the crap. That is to be expected from little manufacturers.

I have run all types of junk fuel through the WR and the bike does not care. I spent 2 weeks in Mexico, this past spring, most of our fuel came out of unlabeled barrels and jugs that were along side of the road. Only a handful of fill ups were from real fuel pumps.

I have not experienced a WR fuel pump failure but from the reports that I have heard about, it is a typical electric motor failure. When the pump cools down, it will work again. If it were ethanol related, it would be locked up permanently.
  4. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    I've had my 2010 since new in 2010, always used fuel with ethanol, never an issue in 40k miles. The fuel pump issue was a big topic on this and other forums not long after I got my WR-R nine years ago. My understanding is that some 2008 models (somewhere on this thread is a listing of "from" VIN-xxx "to" VIN-xxx) had defective fuel pumps. After the 2008 models (first year for the WR-R) Yamaha apparently got the problem resolved.
    PlowHand and Yinzer Moto like this.
  5. Oldsteed

Oldsteed Circus Bear Supporter

Oddometer:
    :deal

I'm still running the original pump on my 2008. No issues yet, but I have a replacement ready when it fails. I run 87 in it with no issues and only put ethanol free gas in there when I know it will sit for a while. I have other bikes that only get ethanol-free, but the WRR is tough enough to handle it.
  6. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    Well now you've done it!
    I definitely notice more green oxidation in carburetors that have sat with ethanol gas in them than I used to. I try and let the bike winter over with a tank of Seafoamed Chevron 94 octane.
    Oldsteed likes this.
  7. coresports

coresports DS4Life

Oddometer:
    Me too...2008 WRR original pump...bone stock bike.

8. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seafoam is the best invention since the wheel - or the carburetor - or the fuel injector.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    It was just a pump supplier issue and that supplier building the pump slightly different so it does not bind when hot.

I just replaced my 08 proactively.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Seafoam was in the bike that had a fuel pressure regulator go bad from sitting.
    Yes Seafoam is loved but never really claimed as an ethanol solution unlike
    https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-360-marine/

I use this for winter storage and Walmart has it on the shelf. Avoid the cheaper Stabil red, it's for storage but not storage and ethanol.

https://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-22240-Marine-Vapor-Technology/dp/B001CAW2DK

Or
    http://www.starbrite.com/startron
    Which is available at Napa.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Tron-Enzyme-Fuel-Treatment/dp/B002E9A6PO
  11. Border411

Border411 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best avatar I have seen....FYI
    Yinzer Moto and PlowHand like this.
  12. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, my girls are getting old like me but unlike me they are still cute. :-)
    Border411 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  13. Border411

Border411 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont sell yourself short. Every night when I look in your window you still look good. I mean....um....disregard.
    rsteiger and PlowHand like this.
  14. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    I add Seafoam to Chevron 94 octane which is ethanol free, so I have no expectations of it treating ethanol.
    eakins likes this.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Ah got ya, you didn't mention that.
    That must be an local area thing you just expect to find. Not so around here.

And no Seafoam does not claim to solve ethanol problems. If find it does not do much vs other products.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    If you guys are looking to really clean up your injectors and carbon deposits, PEA - polyether amine, is the best ingredient.

If a cleaner does not have that then it's just using less effective & cheaper distillates.

Redline SI-1 has the most (more than 44k, Techron & others) and is thus tops. It can be found at O'Reillys.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-Complete-System-Cleaner/dp/B000CPI5Z0

Of course these are not ethanol treatments like marine Stabil or Startron or everyday additive like Lucas fuel treatment.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    An excellent fuel routine would be Redline clean in the late fall, oil change right after, fresh tank of gas w/marine Stabil for winter storage, use Lucas every tank the next season till the next Redline clean & repeat.
  18. Magestyk

Magestyk Da'Salty^Soldier

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    eakins likes this.
  19. mikko

mikko n00b

Oddometer:
    Winter appears to be here in Wisconsin and am looking to store the bike for winter. Looking to store this year without heat or power for a tender. Is it okay to remove the battery for winter to store at home? I recall reading of some head units dying from dead batteries, or is that unrelated? Never had a problem pulling batteries for winter in the past, but want to confirm.
  20. toddhopper

toddhopper Old and in the way

Oddometer:
    For what its worth, I'm in Minnesota and have pulled the battery on my '13 every winter since new. No issues with dash or anything electrical. Same with the '03 SV650.
    Plebeian and drifteast like this.