Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you change oil there is always some in the motor that won't ever drain.

As Yinzer said on a newly rebuilt motor you are likely to need 1.5 quarts to fill it all the way for the first time.
    Yinzer Moto and eakins like this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Have 2qt on hand and use the oil level window as your guide above all.
    I find mine shifts like butter with 7100 and I've tried a few. Shift quality is the most direct interaction we have with the grade of oil we buy. It's worth the $ to me to achieve the very best shifting experience on any Moto.
    That's my opinion alone and YMMV.

https://www.amazon.com/Motul-7100-Synthetic-Oil-4T/dp/B000VJR102
    Border411 likes this.
  3. drifteast

drifteast Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always on the lookout for better lighting and plug 'n play is great. Like someone else mentioned, do you have any stock vs. JNS photos?
  4. Border411

Border411 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are some floating around on the WR250R owners group on Facebook if you are a member....actually....there is a video.
    eakins, drifteast and JNS Engineering like this.
  5. drifteast

drifteast Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didn't know about the group but will see if they'll take me. Thanks!
    JNS Engineering likes this.
  6. Border411

Oddometer:
  7. JNS Engineering

JNS Engineering Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I quickly threw this together. It’s crude but hopefully it helps demonstrate the product.

drifteast, Bitingdog, eakins and 3 others like this.
  8. Border411

Oddometer:
    Thanks man....was trying to figure out how to save your video for upload.
  9. Hkon89

Hkon89 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm looking for some advice regarding installation on turn signal wiring harness on a 2008 WRR. My gf bought one this spring, and a PO has had the blinkers and the wiring harness removed. The bike is going to be used during the Norwegian winter (which is really dark), so she wants to install blinkers. Therefore I hope some of you can help me understand how to install the wiring harness and where to connect it?
  10. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beam pattern looks good. Intensity is hard to judge from that video. Looks like a winner.
  11. Border411

Oddometer:
    The Motul 7100 was a great oil when I tried it in my bike. I also tried Rotella, which everyone raves about, but that caused extremely notchy shifting in my bike. Mobil 1 4T was also very, VERY good, however I decided to switch to Yamalube 10w-40 Dino oil. I did a lot of research and realized I might be missing out by using this oil, so I said screw it and I am trying it currently. So far, my engine sounds quieter, and shifting is awesome. So far, it is a winner!
    drifteast and eakins like this.
  12. IanInCalgary

IanInCalgary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dual-sport riding season is over for this year and I'm going to do my annual maintenance over the winter. My bike is a '15 and I had to replace the original fuel pump at 33,000 km. I replaced it with a Kemso pump and have no problems with it (bike currently has 52,000 km). Has anyone had a Kemso pump fail? I'm not sure whether I'm better off replacing the pump (with the risk of breaking the "cage") or continuing with the existing Kemso pump. I ride BDRs and similar terrain/isolation so reliability is fairly important. I'd be sick if I broke the "cage". The last time I checked it was Cdn$515 for a pump/cage assembly from Yamaha.

Ian
  13. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    Personally, if it ain't broke, don't fix it til it is.
    It appears to be a problem that is intermittent and gives warning signs. If you are REALLY worried, you could carry a spare Kemso unit and the required picks (Canadian Tire ones fit in the kit) in the stock tool kit holder that attaches to the frame and replace the pump trail side if that ever arose. Arduous? Yes, but will give you peace of mind having one with you. Murphy's law will dictate that luck favours the prepared, so your replacement Kemso should go another 50,000kms.
  14. jskateborder

jskateborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    D4488982-0442-49FA-ACC8-C8A8046E7F90.jpeg Is this my fault (careless washing) or is this something others are seeing from weather exposure? The drain hole set level to the base of the plug well on the side opposite the kickstand seems less than thought out.

Attached Files:

15. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:
    Pretty much standard. Doesn't seem to effect the operation of the spark plug.
    jskateborder and simmons1 like this.
  16. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    So I kept at cleaning that injector over the weekend, and today had luck and now have a nice even spray pattern. Thanks for the help. Bike still doesn't start, but at least I know that is working. Hoping it is the fuel pressure regulator, otherwise I will start looking at wiring I guess. Just because it is cranking doesn't rule out wiring correct?

I have a new battery, used it today to clean the injector and try and start it a few times, then tested it resting at 12.45, so seems fine. The bike is in neutral, and the kickstand is up, though I realize wiring issues could make this seems like it is working when it is not, the cranking again makes me think its ok.
  17. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:
    The fact that it will start and run with an external supply of fuel says that the ignition system and the basic mechanical functions of the motor (compression, cam timing, etc.) are working OK.

Focus on fuel delivery pressure and volume.
    eakins and WileyRTW like this.
  18. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Thanks, 1 more day till the pressure regulator is delivered.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    If that is the problem, It would be great to see it cut open and understand what ethanol is doing to funk these up.
  20. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    A few more pics from my October ride.

IMG_20191023_114419.jpg

IMG_20191023_111810.jpg

IMG_20191022_163112.jpg
    ACR, drifteast, woofer2609 and 8 others like this.