Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I can't remember which one is reverse. I run the Highway dirtbike mirrors and removed the mirrors before I even rode the bike.
  2. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    awesome bikes!

Terp, unless you’re racing supermoto, you may find that you can do everything you’d do on the X wheels on the R wheels with slicks. I’ve got both sets and while my X set is on there most the time (that’s where the slicks are), I find the R set more versatile for multi-surface rides.

59015B06-192C-473B-B056-E80B20274338.jpeg
    proeliator and Bitingdog like this.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Correct left mirror is standard thread.
    My WR has a Ram ball and Double Take mirror I brought over from my last bike.
    Nothing on the right nor do I care.
    woofer2609 likes this.
  4. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:
  5. facablade

facablade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys
  6. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Doubletake mirrors, I've been using the OEM mirrors since 09, they've been good and serviceable but recently put on a set of dt enduro mirrors to help ease the parking congestion in my garage :lol3

Went for the first long ride with them last week and they're horrible buzzy--at 65-70 mph can't see a thing--compared to the OEM mirrors. Is there some secret to clamping these so they don't buzz so much? I'm surprised, most people report they're better than OEM...
  7. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short...

Oddometer:
    The Doubletake mirrors on all of our WRRs and Xs have all been less vibey than the OEMs. Same with 690, 701 & DRZ SM. Are you running the longer RAM arm? All of ours are the shorter arms.
    seasider likes this.
  8. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Long arms...ahh. Will try short arms and see if it makes a difference. Thanks!
  9. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    Find an old 23mm road bike tube and cut 1.25” rings out of it. Slip the rings over the Ram ball. Helps keep the arm from moving and probably helps some with the vibration.
  10. jimmr

jimmr Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A little chilly , but got a few hours in tagging in West central NJ, wandered around and found a few (short:() unpaved roads I hadn't explored before. Great to be out in the low Winter sun.:-) _20191209_011424.JPG _20191209_011529.JPG
    Bitingdog, ACR, drifteast and 6 others like this.
  11. Some Beach

Some Beach Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A little rain in the desert makes a big difference.

WR 469 color copy.jpg WR 469 Tonto copy.jpg WR 469 view copy.jpg
    Bitingdog, ACR, KeithC and 9 others like this.
  12. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Ok, so while the injector was clogged up, there are other issues with the bike as it still won't start. That said, I cut the bitch open best I could, but it kind of fell apart on me. It is basically just a spring/plunger inside the regulator, so I focused on pics of the passage ways.

The main chamber of the regulator holds the spring/plunger and is large. It did not have crud left behind, so I did not grab a pic. You can see some blockage on the fuel pump cage itself. I could see the plunger/spring in the regulator being more of an issue getting stuck open or closed than the passages ways actually clogging, but overall wouldn't be too concerned with the regulator getting clogged up based on how it all looked, but then again the cage passage is affected as seen in the pic. It makes sense that the injector with much smaller holes is more likely get clogged. The pic with my fingers is to try and show the regulator passage diameter using the light.

Dirty Fuel Pump Pressure Regulator
    IMG_20191121_175946144.jpg

Somewhat drier Regulator
    IMG_20191122_073622981.jpg

Blocked Fuel Pump Cage passage way
    IMG_20191121_180435885.jpg
    The Fuel Pump Pressure Regulator passage ways
    IMG_20191122_091656752.jpg

The carnage
    IMG_20191122_092717376_HDR.jpg
    Bitingdog and plumber mike like this.
  13. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    As mentioned above bike is still not starting. I opened the top to check the valve clearance and my exhaust valves are out of spec. I will swap the shims but how to I figure out what the bigger issue is?

Do I need to open and measure the valves/springs/etc, focus on the piston/cylinder? Just looking for a point in the right direction. I would rather pick up some tools at harbor freight and continue to learn than drop it off at a shop....but with precision instruments maybe this is not a good idea, and I don't want to invest to much in tools as I will just be giving them away soon.

Also note when I went to put the cam chain back on and rotate to get the tensioner to release it stopped rotating, and the intake cam locked up instead of rotate. It was absolutely at TDC when I set them, but rather than investigate I went to bed. The valve clearance, and this, make me think it's valve related...but what do I know.

To recap: Getting spark, new spark plug anyway. Air passage is clear. Fuel injector cleaned and functioning, fuel system appears to function properly. Valves out of speck. Exhaust header bolt was loose, would think this is unrelated and more an environmental issue. but a noob so noting it.

All valve clearance readings were .15mm, spec for the intake is 0.13-0.20mm, and exhaust should be 0.23-0.30mm.
  14. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Exhaust valves are too tight. I would start there. I would also try to adjust the intakes to the looser end of spec. That could be all of your problems.
  15. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Yes I will swap the shims, are you saying that should be enough, if it starts and runs I can ride? It did start once last week and ran fine for the minute or to I let it run, but after that back to no starts. If that is what you are saying how soon should I open and check the clearance again? It is easy enough to do just don't want to forget to keep an eye on it.

Also note, I will try and find out when I did it in an old post, but the shims were already swapped maybe 1-3 years ago. I was surprised by the numbers I got but it seemed fine from the reaction here so went ahead with the swap. Things did seem fine just double checking. I believe I am under 26K, if not 30K miles currently.

Thanks!
  16. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    As I am sure you know. They say we should only have to check the valves every 26k miles. If the bike is ridden hard, that may happen sooner. It is abnormal that you need to adjust them again so soon. Either something was done incorrectly the first time or they are failing.
  17. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    My self taught mechanic brain suspects that something is failing, how would I investigate that? I had checked the clearance originally a few thousand miles early only because I was prepping the bike for travel, there were no indications anything was not working correctly. Once complete, everything seemed good. Over time, it did get harder to start etc, but I do not believe anything was done improperly the 1st time, which is why I would rather investigate as opposed to just swapping the shims, as I think something may be going on.

Thanks man, either way I will grab some shims and see what happens.
  18. Border411

Border411 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome work! Using too much fuel stabilizing additive can make the insides look like that as well....just like it you dont use any and it sits.
  19. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Found it, heres the original post from 2017, around 25K miles:
    Now today I have the following measurements:
    Left Exhaust: clearance 0.15 (.006) Shim 170 (going to swap in a 1.65)
    Right Exhaust: clearance 0.15 (.006) Shim 175 (going to swap in a 1.70)
    Left Intake: clearance 0.15 (.006) Shim 1.95 (going to swap in a 1.65)
    Right Intake: clearance 0.15 (.006) Shim 2.00 (going to swap in a 1.85)

I will let you know if it blows up. Thanks
  20. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Double check your adjustments. The intake should only need a slight adjustment, if at all. I would debate with myself if I was going to touch them. The exhaust needs more that what you are proposing.