Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    It's close to 13×46, so it's not an earth shattering difference.

Should be noticeable improvement everywhere
    eduro likes this.
  2. Omegart

Omegart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how is 14/50 compared to the 13/48 that I read it's recommended everywhere?

I would have changed road, but that's because I'm tired of fleeing away from free dogs every time :lol2
    eduro and Bitingdog like this.
  3. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    13x48 = 14x52 (which I run)

It suits my riding well. Originally I ran 13x52 for riding steep mountain singletrack, but the wr250r has since been augmented by a more dirt focused bike.

Now I ride more flowing trails with the Yamaha, and sometimes road & highways. This gearing covers a large spectrum. I don't have any plans to change it at the moment
    Omegart, Whoscook and eduro like this.
  4. Chaffdb

Chaffdb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for tire recommendations for a WR. I know, I know, my next post will be about engine oil... Ha. But seriously, I've done a good bit of reading and searching, but some of the posts and info are quite old now and there are newer options and more collaborative experience, so I thought I would ask here again. I’m looking for a “unicorn” tire, of course, and I know the perfect tire doesn’t exist, but nonetheless:

I have a dirt/trail riding background but just recently got back into riding at 44 years of age after a roughly 8-9 year layoff. This time around I am doing dual sporting with my older brother and his teenage son. I picked up a well setup, low mileage used WR250R from an inmate here in April, and they are riding Honda CRF250L’s. My WR has Pirelli MT21 tires front and rear. They are alright around the house, and on our first trip, they did ok. I’d give the front a “B” and the rear was a little worse, maybe C or C+. Both were a little squirrelly on gravel at times (but what dual sport tire isn't?), and there were low speed sloppy occasions where the rear was spinning and not much else was going on. In the mud they also could have been better. Both have some life left, the front having more than the rear, but being of unknown age and looking for something better, I have decided to do some research and shopping.

As for terrain, I am in Mississippi and will be riding in the South, mainly, although we hope to eventually try to ride the TAT. I ride a fairly wide mix down here though, with a little bit of everything except not much large rock. Daily, my main use will be largely on grass and dry dirt play riding. We do have a lot of roots. However, in addition to this, we plan to do some longer dual sport rides that will consist of a variety of dirt and gravel roads, some sparsely covered, and some deep with loose gravel on top which was like riding on marbles on the MT21's. We try to avoid mud, but on the longer rides rain is a possibility, and our last ride put us in a little extremely slick clay mud for a short distance. Finally, although I try to avoid the road, the long trips will invariably include some. I will take it easy (generally under 60 mph and don’t intend to try to drag any knees or anything), but I need something that won’t wear out or significantly degrade in a few hundred miles of road usage. That being said, lasting several thousand miles on road is not a priority (although it would be great of course!). As an example, we have a trip planned where we will need to cover about 70 miles of easy, fairly straight highway at around 50-55 mph, then roughly 350 miles of mixed terrain, roughly 40% dirt, 40% gravel, and maybe 10% slick stuff and 10% poorly paved roads.

The “old standard” recommendation seems to be the MT21 front and D606 rear, and perhaps these are still the best? However some dislike one or the other and/or suggest they are better on heavier or large bikes. Additionally, being older tire designs and the 606 being a little taller and heavier than most rear tires for the WR, I was wondering if there are better options. I have read about cheaper recommendations like a Kenda Trackmaster rear and Washougal II (since Washougal I is no more) front. Of course going back with MT21’s front and rear or another Pirelli option (Scorpion Pro, Rally, XCMH, etc) is also being considered. Finally I have been reading about Goldentyre and especially their fatty front and wondering if it and perhaps it or some more exotic combinations should be worth considering. I’ve also read some about Mitas (C19, C18, and XT-754 specifically) and Motoz (Tractionator Enduro and others) options.

Anyone want to make a suggestion or recommendation, either for a tire to try or something avoid? All would be appreciated.

Oh, my bike came with 13x47 gearing and some extra sprockets. It's definitely in the right ballpark. I will probably swap to 14x51, which is in between 13x47 and 13x48, when I change rear tires. I may go 14x52 if I go with a taller rear tire like a 606.
  5. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:

Sounds like you have some good options lined up. Tires are relatively cheap and easy to swap. They also make a huge difference in how a bike performs. Lastly, they can be very personal. A tire that one person loves will be one that another person hates. Lastly, the best tire is a fresh tire. That last point and my personal economy keeps me away from the golden tyres and such and I usually go with a $50-80 tire because I am more likely to swap it out at an appropriate time.
    oldairhd likes this.
  6. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was this up near Truckee (North end of Stampede Res)?
    There's a Jeep-trail up there with a similar-looking gate. Open it up, push through. Close it behind you.
  7. BogeyMan

Oddometer:
    Hey there @ProLeisure - would love to know exactly where that was. I'd love to go up there with my SO (she has the WR250, I ride a FE350). Fire-roads and Jeep-trails is what she loves right now.
  8. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    Absolutely love the front Scorpion Rally. It's become my go-to front tire. Out back? Tires I liked include the Motoz Tractionator Enduro IT, Pirelli Scorpion Pro, Michelin AC10, (there are some remaining online) Mitas XT-754, and Maxxis Desert IT (not DOT rated but good on pavement etc)

Hated tires include: D606, Trackmasters, and MT21's.
    mf13368 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  9. ArizoniaLarry

ArizoniaLarry Arizona Larry

Oddometer:
    I'm running 14X 51 and I really like it. I had tried a 50 but I like the 51 better.
    woofer2609, eduro and Bitingdog like this.
  10. BogeyMan

Oddometer:
    I just spooned a set of the MotoZ Mountain Hybrid Extreme's on to my wife's WR250. It's got to be a step up from the 4+ year old D606s that were on it when we bought the bike. I'll report back shortly.
    One thing obvious right from the get-go is that the D606s were stiff-as-f**k (now this could well be a factor of their age). The MotoZ's aren't soft - in fact that have a pretty stiff sidewall.
    If you care, a nice thing about the MotoZ's is that they're DoT tires - so, street legal, if you care about that sort of thing.
    ReardenSteel, AdvNener and Bitingdog like this.
  11. Chaffdb

Chaffdb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I have seen the Scorpion Rally front recommended by several folks. The knobs look so short that I had concerns. Do you like the M+S TL or the MST? Short knobs were a concern on the Scorpion Pro rear, too. Motoz Tractionator Enduro IT was high on my list. Had considered trying an AC10, especially if I could find one on sale or clearance at a good price. Also interested in the Michelin Tracker replacement for the AC10. Doesn't appear to be readily available here yet although it was supposed to be by now. I'm assuming corona/COVID has played a part in that. XT-754 having only a narrower, widely spaced lug made me wonder about how long with would hold up on road and hard pack. Had not looked at the Maxxis, any Maxxis really, but I had good luck with their tires on ATVs in the past and will definitely do some reading.

Yinzer makes some good points, too. Interesting that you strongly dislike some of the more popular options, but you are not the only one that does from what I have seen. Pretty certain I will at least avoid the D606 and Trackmaster on the front.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  12. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tires are pretty subjective and a lot of that has to do with where you are riding, your riding style, and tire expectations.

I've played around with a lot of different front tires and pretty much has settled on the MT16 or XCMS fronts from Pirelli. Pretty much will only put those on the front of my bike. But now I have ridden with more than one person that absolutely loves the Shinko 244 on the front and I can vouch for them that they have no issues with that in the front while riding the same route that I am. For me I have tried the 244 in the past and really did not like it. Why the difference?? Who knows.

So play around a bit and see what works for you.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  13. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    Those work well on the Blueberry. Bear in mind that they aren't great for rear braking on loose surfaces. Not terrible, but not like a knobby.

I like them, but am always careful about recommending them. They require a bit different riding style than a knobby. Maintain traction and they really last. Roosting is ineffective and wears them out quick
    BogeyMan, Yinzer Moto and rsteiger like this.
  14. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    I'll send you a picture of my Scorpion Rally front tire. The knobs are fine, any longer and you'll get the squirmies. You'll love the way you can rail corners on gravel roads. It's way cool.

Scorpion Pro is FIM, but again it's very versatile and grippy. No squirm or spookiness on pavement either. It's a winning combo, I can assure you
  15. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's true but coming from a MT43 rear, the braking on loose surface felt good with the xtrem hybrid :)
    Decent on pavement but LOUD
    Bitingdog and BogeyMan like this.
  16. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    Definitely better than an MT43!

Far larger range of competency too
  17. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    The 606 seems to last forever, probably because it is a fairly hard rubber.
    I'm partial to Kenda 760 Trakmasters for offroad, but they do wear faster.
    I like 270's for everything else.
    One thing you didn't mention is what tire pressure you are running.
    Any tire will lose grip with more pressure. I personally think tire pressure is as important as the tire.
    Have you considered Tubliss or running below 10 PSI?
    This is also dependent on rider weight, I guess.
    FWIW, I'm liking 14/51 with a low profile tire.
    Of course, YMMV.
    Billdozer650 and Bitingdog like this.
  18. Billdozer650

Billdozer650 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Installed Primary Drive gold x ring chain and sprockets along with Sandman Case Saver. Went with 14/51, coming from 13/47. I bought a 118 link chain and ended up removing 4 links. 20200711_153116.jpg 20200711_153123.jpg
  19. facablade

facablade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems chain guard tail is too close to chain?
  20. Saltshaker

Saltshaker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How many links were you using for 13/47? I am planning to do 14/47. Is there any formula to calculate the number of links needed?