Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. djchan

djchan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any WRR owners out there coming off a KLR650 as a previous bike? I've had 'em all from KLR to DRZe to LC4E. My question for you KLR ownwers is - does the WRR pull through the gears with at least the gusto of a KLR? I'm about ready to buy one and this has been a reservation. It doesn't need to pull like the LC4 but I'd really like nothing more sluggish than the KLR. My sense is that it's probably got about the same pickup ... and that would be acceptable. Lil help?
  2. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    The WRX pulls through the gears like a MX bike. I don't know why everybody is amped up about top speed. The bike is fast. The bike is powerful. It is geared nearly perfect. Yamaha did there homework and got it right. I see people cringing like there is supposed to be a XT250 hiding inside it somewhere. Fir cripes sakes it is a Yammy version of a KTM or Husky! Does it have to walk on water too?
    Viserion likes this.
  3. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Trail Jester

Oddometer:
    I am enjoying watching this discussion on top speed. Thought I would try to get some input from WR250X owners to add in so I started a thread over at TT to get input.

This is the most interesting post so far ... that is he sees 105 mph on speedo, 95 mph paced by a car ... and has 4000 miles on already!

<script type="text/javascript"> vbrep_register("6348605")</script><!-- message -->"I drive my wrx 110 miles a day to work I have hit top of 105 on my speedo in MPH not KMH I also dropped one tooth in the front.....I can go faster now than I did stock. My stock top speed was 99 but now I can get to peak power with the smaller sprocket. I have been running with my friend in his sububan at that 105 I am running actual 95. This machine will rev so freakin high I think I am really pushing it as far as it will go. I change my oil once a week and hope that I don't run into problems. At the end of this week I'll have over 4000 miles on her."

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641295
  4. OrangeTJ

OrangeTJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Personally, I don't care about the top speed of any bike as long as it can cruise at 70 or so without feeling particularly stressed. Anything above that is superfluous to me, as there's no speed limit in the land higher than that. I don't mind getting passed by fast laners as long as I can keep up comfortably in the right lane.
  5. reconsmr

reconsmr Banned

Oddometer:
    My interest was from comments it would cruise easily at 80+, I'd certainally keep a 8100 RPM cruise to a short passing blast. It dosen't take much of a headwind, or side wind for that matter to keep my de-emmissioned +50 HP 450 from getting past 90 MPH, a 30 crank HP 250 getting there easily is certainally suspect.

Having a 80+ reserve is real nice, I'm guessin the real cruise speed is 65-70 at reasonable RPM/piston speed??? Time for more math,,,
  6. nachtflug

nachtflug deplorable

Oddometer:
    the real question should be what is the top speed through big rocks on tough quad cleared dual track. christ its a 250 who's going to be going down the highway on it.
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    LOL, that only concerns folks that ACTUALLY ride dirt.
  8. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:
    It's a bit of a ride for me to get to the dirt. While I could get there with out riding highway, the fact that it can do 80 or better means that I would feel okay in the slow lane on the highway.

Traffic moves pretty quickly down here and drivers suck, so you it's good to have a little beyond the speed limit on tap.

Personally it isn't so much that I care how fast it goes, more that I am impressed with how fast the little bike appears to be able to go.

I want one, maybe in september when the 09's come, I will be in a position to buy.
  9. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Trail Jester

Oddometer:
    :rofl... come on nachtflug, get those 606's dirty!
  10. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    Reasonable engine speed is no issue for the WR250R. It has a stroke of only 53.6 mm. Converting that to feet (and being lazy, I do that here http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm ) gives us .17585 feet.

Multiply .17585 time two, for piston going down and piston going up, and you have the piston moving .3517 feet with each revolution. Multiply that times 10,000 rpm and you have a piston speed of 3,517 fpm, well below the theoretical limit of 4000 fpm.

The bottom line is, if the WR250R had the horsepower (or the tailwind) to do it, it could run at 99 mph all day long. It certainly wouldn't be revving the engine too high.
  11. OrangeTJ

OrangeTJ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Understand what you're saying, but if I bought one I'd want to be able to hop on it and ride it from my driveway to the dirt. Some of the dirt I'd want to ride is a couple of hours away and the highway is the only reasonable way to get there. It isn't particularly high speed highway (50 from Sacto to Nevada) but it's highway nonetheless. The bike does sound like it has the legs to run at the speeds I'd deem necessary, so I'm getting all the more intrigued.
  12. nachtflug

nachtflug deplorable

Oddometer:
    :hide
  13. G-Wing

G-Wing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    are you still snowbound up there? :rofl :rofl
  14. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    Heck no! We've been snow free for over ten days now. The ice even melted off the lake last week. At the rate we're going, we might even see real leaves before the weekend.

There is a large and active group called Minnesotans for Global Warming.
  15. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    I've heard they are holding a chili cook-off this weekend, followed by a bean-feast, to assist in production of various gasses.....:lol3 :hide

-NoVector
  16. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Ah, the joys of farkling. :D

I finally got around to adding the first of a few add-ons that I have in mind. This one was supposed to be "easy", but was a little more labor intensive than I expected, so I thought I'd share my findings with you.

So, the first farkle is hand guards. Specifically, these (Acerbis Rally Pro, in Yamaha blue, of course):

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of things that made the install take a bit longer than expected. First, I had to either 1) move the lever perches, or 2) hack off the ends of the levers, because they hit the guards. I went with option #2 because I prefer short levers anyway (I come from a dirt-riding background, and have always used "shorty" levers on my bikes). Next, I had to hack the end of the throttle tube off to fit the bar-end mounting bolt inside the bar.

Here are a few pics to show what I mean. Bah! Closed end on the throttle tube. Time for hacking....

[​IMG]

In the end, I think they look pretty sharp:

[​IMG]

And here's how the levers ended up:

Clutch -

[​IMG]

Brake -

[​IMG]

The test ride showed no binding on the throttle tube, so I didn't screw that up too much, and the wind protection was better than I expected for such small deflectors. Also, these guards are extremely sturdy, and I would expect the bars to bend before these things do. :thumb

-NoVector
  17. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    Under that rationale it is a dirtbike NOT an adventure bike and this thread should be move to a dirt bike forum. If I wanted a bike that wasn't capable on the highway then I'd buy a KTM exc, not frig about with a WRR
  18. sensai

sensai master

Oddometer:
    I was able to get mine on without hacking the levers but there's only about 1/4 of clearance.
  19. sensai

sensai master

Oddometer:
    When riding my WRR through technical track with rocks, big to me at least, I'm not so concerned as the top speed but caught glimpse of 35 - 40mph. I'm sure it could do more but the pilot was holding it back...

I have also ran this thing on the highway and it felt that it could do 75 - 80mph all day...caught myself reaching 85+ a couple of times but backed off....it does get a little squirrely on the highways with rain grooves so the bike moves a little side to side but that just adds for excitement.
  20. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    I just got a Rapid Transit Stack LT strap mount tank bag. It was a pain in the butt to get it strapped on right. BTW there is nothing to let magnets cling to for a magnetic bag. The Wolfman strap mount bag is probably a better choice. I am going to fill mine up with water bottles to get the arch in the bag to go the other way and conform to the seat curvature.