Yamaha XC155 (SMax) thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Chillis, Aug 28, 2014.

1. ScooterJon

ScooterJon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s a great price for a great scoot. I wouldn’t worry about the warranty as I have rarely seen anyone use it. As long as the gas and oil is fresh, I wouldn’t worry about it sitting for the past few years either. It more depends on how you want to use the scoot and if looks is a big consideration. The Like has a classic look and is a bit higher tech (LED headlight and ABS). The Smax has more power, 10-15 mph higher top speed, and more storage space (the best in the 150 class).
    klaviator and DandM like this.
  2. LidoCA

LidoCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Red is 4% faster.
    randyp1234 likes this.
  3. Iwannascoot

Iwannascoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are the pics of my hugger that does not want to fit

Attached Files:

4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't understand how a new scooter can have less than the normal 1 year warranty:dunno I bought my Smax used, from a dealer, with 150 miles on it and 10 1/2 months left on the warranty for $2499 plus tax. I put around 5,000 miles on it with zero problems.

I bought my Like 150i new for $2599 + tax. I had a couple of issues fixed under warranty. I now have 4700 miles on it and expect to have 6-7000 on it by the time it's a year old.

As I mentioned in the Like 150i thread the Like is a 60 MPH scooter and the Smax a 70+ mph scooter. My Smax normally got 80 MPG, occasionally 90+ and an even 100 one time. My Like got a disappointing 70 MPG the first 1000 miles or so and then improved. Lately I've been mostly getting high 80s to mid 100s for gas mileage.

The Like and Smax are really very different scooters. The Like is a small, lightweight, classically styled scooter. The Smax is much bigger, heavier and has more modern and sporty styling. I find the Like to be more comfortable but that will vary from person to person.

I wouldn't worry so much about the price difference. Pick the one that appeals to you and fits the type of riding you will be doing. If I had more money and garage space I'd have one of each.
  5. LidoCA

LidoCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The tire hugger that I bought from Webike, had a completely different mount on the left side. The right side needed to have the mounting hole redrilled, as it was not in the right spot. Your looks like it should be mounted to back side of the air box. 20190831_205707.jpg 20190831_205719.jpg 0
  6. Iwannascoot

Iwannascoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried the back side of the air box but that warped the hugger totally out of shape. You can see in the pic that the holes do not line up with the screws where it is supposed to mount. I thought about cutting the tabs down and trying to flatten them with heat, then drilling the air box to mount it similar to how yours is done. I hate is doesn't just bolt up but it doesn't.

Did you drill your air box to mount yours?

Billy
  7. the_ques

the_ques n00b

Oddometer:
    thanks for sharing. So I guess you recommend this horn? How easy was the install? A pic or video would be appreciated. This will be my first mod attempt
  8. the_ques

the_ques n00b

Oddometer:
    I didn’t think the warantey would be a big deal but I bought my 2018 new from the stealer earlier this summer for 2,900+. It was a good deal I felt. However the damn thing would bounce/vibrate like a jackhammer once I hit 24mph. Turns out the OEM tire had a bulge in it. Covered under warranty. Saved me a couple hundred probably. I’d suggest you put a many miles on it as you can to ensure all’s good before expiration
  9. Iwannascoot

Iwannascoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Once you remove the front cover the horn is right there in the middle. I bent the bracket that came with the horn and mounted it in the same location. The two wires plugged right in without modifying. Remove the windshield first then this video shows how to remove the black cover. You will need a Torx 25 to remove the two screws that are sort of inside the vent where the guy grabs and pulls down in the video. It’s an easy job.
    Billy
  10. LidoCA

LidoCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I didnt have to drill the air box. The air box has an indentation and a slot for the screw clip. It's like it was meant to have that fender installed.
  11. Iwannascoot

Iwannascoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My airbox is different. The screws on mine are horizontal and the screws on yours look like they are vertical. I have emailed Webike a few minutes ago so I will see what they will do about it.

Thanks for the post LidoCA

Billy
  12. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simply put, that Smax is not new, it's used. Whether the scooter has 1 mile on or it 10k the warranty starts when the vehicle is reported sold. You dealer is misrepresenting the sccoter if they're claiming it's new. So to me, 3200 is not a good price on a used Smax. It should be in the neighborhood of what Klaviator paid.
  13. Nick113

Nick113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any idea when do we get ABS Smax in US?
  14. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't think its likely, because as far as I can see its no longer for sale in the EU.
    The Euro 4 regulations have been a major driver for adoption of ABS but Euro 4 also mandates more stringent emissions controls.
    Add this to the driving licence categories across Europe and I think its unlikely the Smax 155 will ever be upgraded to Euro 4 and the ABS which that brings.
  15. Nick113

Nick113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yet another example of how stinkin' politicians destroying good and affordable things for the people. Making it obsolete, or totally not-affordable.
    byee likes this.
  16. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bureaucrats making manufactures deliver better fuel efficiency and safety features, how very dare they! :rofl:imaposer
    The Virginian likes this.
  17. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:

they more than lightly will just stop selling it in Europe.....
    the scooter market is in Asia... not the US or EU..
    there is possibly more scooters in Bangkok than the whole of America..

India is worried about the down turn in the motorcycle market...
    after all they only sold 17 millon bikes last year...

18. BinDerSmokDat

BinDerSmokDat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 2016 I bought a brand new SMax for the wife after she completed the RiderEd course.
    Fast forward 3 years; we're divorced, the thing sits un-ridden with a hundred miles on it.
    Most of the miles put on it were me riding around the neighborhood.

Why don't I ride it more? Because I'm 6'6" and 300lbs.
    Even with the handle bars raised as high as possible, (which is actually a little past the recommended mark on the stem) my knees hit easily in anything but a sweeping turn.
    Any kind of real turn requires my knees splayed wide.
    If you are picturing a circus bear on a motorcycle, that's about right.

I'm on the fence about selling it.
    It's a fun bike, is a great loaner for motorcycle riding friends who visit and it makes a fun bike to ride for me if i fit a little better.
    If I can solve the handlebar issue, I'm considering keeping it.

I have seen handlebar adapters like this... shorturl.at/hAEUW
    Has anyone used one? What is the trick set-up for handlebar raising?
    I couldn't find a thread or post about adapters and what if any longer cables and lines are needed.
    I don't want to spend $200-300 only to find out that it is still not rideable and have tos ell it anyway.

Note: I know this scoot will NEVER fit me perfectly. I'm not delusional. Just looking to make it rideable as a campground/back roads/around town scooter. I also don't care what i look like on it. I own a Ural and a Rocket, I'm use to stares when I ride.
  19. ixoye777

ixoye777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your issue isn't with the handlebars, it's with the seat. The hump is the problem, if it wasn't there you could sit farther backand have much more legroom. You can have it redone at an upholstry shop. To start take the seat off and put a small pc of plywood on (just for testing purposes in your driveway, you'll see the difference it makes in seating position and legroom.
  20. Nick113

Nick113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess you didn't catch the part where it says Yamaha will most likely stop selling Smax in Europe due to your beloved genius bureaucrat's activities. LOL. Learning fast is a good thing, try it.:jack