Yamaha XC155 (SMax) thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Chillis, Aug 28, 2014.

1. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Fear not Nick, despite departure of the Smax (Majesty S) there's no shortage of scooter models available for us to choose from.
    We'll be just fine without the Smax, it was never a popular model here in the UK, less than 300 sales from 2014 to 2018.
  2. BinDerSmokDat

BinDerSmokDat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent point Fishy, thanks for pointing that out. I just came in from the garage and you are right, when making turns or tight maneuvers, I'm sliding my butt up and back onto the rear hump.

I didn't want to trash a perfect seat so was going to look for something used.
    But then I found brand new seats for only $110 at yamahapartshouse, so maybe I will mess around with modding this seat.
    If I make a mess of anything a replacement is relatively cheap.

I still would like to try and get another 1-2" rise out of the handle bars though.
    I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has modded their handlebars.

I'm also looking at the rear tire hugger that seems to be essential but not supplied by Yamaha.
    If I figure out the seat/handlebars and keep it that will be essential.
    I hadn't noticed how exposed everything is back there until I read this thread.
  3. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    ........that works out to 1 bike per person in India.

Motorcycle dealers in North America can only dream about those sales figures.
  4. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Binder think webike sell something that will raise the bars, read some where that the max you will get out of your cables is around 2 inches or less, to me hardly worth, it, I did a mod to my seat and put pics up a couple years ago, it made a huge differance, didn't really care how it looked was going for comfort, cutting the plastic hump out of the seat makes all the differance between I hate riding this thing, to this ain't bad.
  5. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    And there scooter / motorcycle wreaking yards have to be seen to beleave...
    old classic bikes just rotting away..

6. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking for ideas for suspension upgrades for the SMax. We ride 2 up on the SMax the majority of the time. Short trips 25 miles average one way. Max 50 miles. Need the suspension beefed up for a better ride 2 up.

We haul the SMax on our Truck Camper. Its what we use to get around once we land in a campground somewhere.
  7. Moat

Moat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Zuma did this exact thing - drove me mad, as it felt as if something in the front end was loose and rattling over bumps.

Fixed it completely by shimming the throttle tube (lateral play) with a washer/shim cut from a plastic milk jug (cut to the OD of the throttle tube's cable ramp/guide, ID cut to the handlebar's diameter) - shim/washer fitting inside the switch housing, resting just left of the throttle tube.

Not sure how similar the Smax's switch/throttle housing is, but may be worth a peek. And free!

Bob
  8. ScooterJon

ScooterJon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you tried adjusting the shock to a firmer setting?
    johnpitts01 likes this.
  9. DandM

DandM Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Iwannascoot

Iwannascoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sent a pic of the frame number to Webike they asked for since the Koso rear hugger did not fit. Well since I partially installed it to show them it is not the right one, they will not accept it for return. I understand that I guess so I will see what I can do to modify it and try to see if I can use it or not. I asked if they have one that will fit and they asked for more information. I have sent them several email messages with all the information but I will do it again as they asked. Obviously, I want a rear hugger.
  11. Islandscooter

Islandscooter n00b

Oddometer:
    Can someone tell me during break-in the manufacturer suggests not to exceed 4800 rpm for 600 miles. My scooter at that rpm runs only 20-25 mph. Does everyone's bike perform the same? At this rate it will take forever to break-in.
  12. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You won’t have any problem if you occasionally go above that number. Basically all they’re saying is don’t running at high speed for large amounts of time when the bike is new. Use common sense , these engines are a lot tougher than the owners manual would have you believe.
  13. Iwannascoot

Iwannascoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last night I put a 12 volt outlet on the dash of my Smax. I had a Battery Tender adaptor under the seat but it was not very convenient so I put this in a more convenient location. It is on the right side of the ignition switch and is designed for marine use so it should be water resistant. I have a dual 5 volt plug that I use to power my phone and Scala intercom. This was not very easy to install since I had to remove the front plastic and the right side to run a wire to the battery. If I were to do it again, I would look for a switched 12 volt source at the front of the scoot instead of running a wire to the battery. After instillation I discovered the outlet has an LED that stays lit all the time. If I have battery issues I will have to change it to a switched source anyway.

I'm much happier to have an outlet on the dash than under the seat.

Billy
  14. ScooterJon

ScooterJon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s a ridiculous suggestion from Yamaha. Like Glen said, just vary your RPMs and don’t hold high speeds for long periods of time. I tried not to exceed 55 for the first 300 miles and then didn’t go to top speed until after the 600 mile mark. I just would vary the throttle so I didn’t stay at one speed for too long. My engine has never burned oil and performs great.
  15. Fiftygrit

Oddometer:
    My 2016 for break in just rode it, no long idles and no full throttle, mine runs great, it's unreasonable to go by the book I think, I did change the oil and clean the screen 3 times in the first 1000 km, mind runs great and no burning oil .
    DandM likes this.
  16. ixoye777

ixoye777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a tall windshield. I've seen the smaller clip on type that clamp on to the existing shield but am wanting a full tall replacement for highway riding. Something that comes up to roughlly head hieght, any suggestions?
  17. DandM

DandM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last stop, before heading home from a great morning ride.
    Gas.jpg
    The Virginian likes this.
  18. Fiftygrit

Oddometer:
    777 I have the taller givi wind screen ,it works great, you have to order the mounting hardware and the tall screen.
  19. ixoye777

ixoye777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's great Fiftygrit, sounds like that's what I'm looking for. Do you remember where you got it from or model number, link, etc? Was it a universal Givi mount kit or specific to the windshield? Do you have any pics of it on your bike handy? Thanks :)
    twistedthrottle likes this.
  20. Fiftygrit

Oddometer:
    Givi 2121DT $120.60 with fit kit, at Twisted Throttle , try here.
    twistedthrottle likes this.