1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha XC155 (SMax) thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Chillis, Aug 28, 2014.

1. aguim

aguim Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are now a CX155 Smax expert, congrats.
  2. alphasports

alphasports Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mostly to you guys! Cheers
  3. niknok9

niknok9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After installing your cannister.pls update.i wont see any difference in removing your cannister in cold weather.
  4. alphasports

alphasports Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was not planning on reinstalling but I confess I ended up with one extra screw after reassembly, so I might go back in to find where I missed. If so I might reinstall the can and see what happens.

Can you post a few pics of your bike? Looks like you have all kinds of nice modded candy on that?
  5. aguim

aguim Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I had the cold-starting issue, back in march 2015, I first thought the can was fouling
    the plug, so took to heating up a spare C7ES plug in-house, that made it start easy.
    Thought about the less foul-prone i-plug, but found the price ridiculous... so left the '7' plug on for a few weeks, removed the can ...and never had the problem again.

Think of it now, adding a resistance to the Temp sensor may only have made the problem worse on a canister-equipped engine with (starting) plug-fouling issues...

A brand new battery has some energy left after spinning the starter to feed the ignition/injection systems proper, so probably doesn't care much about can foul...

No way I'll ever put that stupid can back anyway.
  6. Hero of Moka

Hero of Moka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's the caliper & pads that tried to end me. Ebc sintered pads, look like plenty of life left.
    Gave the lever a squeeze with the pads off and one piston worked its way out with a scattering of dust and the other stayed put. Also popped the top off the brake juice box and found it very full- like right up to the diaphragm. Fluid a bit dark too.
    I'm thinking drain the caliper, pop the pistons & seals out, replace seals, sand pistons (or replace if they're groovey), clean the caliper, and reassemble with fresh juice.
    20200920_174525.jpg 20200920_174544.jpg
  7. aguim

aguim Long timer

Oddometer:
    So many things could have happened...like, wrong stuff added to the reservoir...

If in doubt, change EVERYTHING non-metallic, even in the master cylinder (s). Should then be good after a flush. Take care, bad brakes kill.
  8. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probable moisture, brake flued should be changed out every couple of years, condensation is the real enemy for sure.
  9. niknok9

niknok9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Base on your pics that brake assembly really need some cleaning.
  10. alphasports

alphasports Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a quick followup on my cold start issue: today was cold, about 3C, bike fired right up almost instantly so the bad battery was definitely the issue. Note that the original battery was a gel-cell, not conventional wet-type, so that didn't help. Also note since I ended up with a spare screw the other day I opened the bike back up to find where I missed one and decided to reinstall the canister, while leaving the hose disconnected and plugged at the throttle body end. Again, no issues with starting. For laughs I'm going to reconnect that hose and see what happens, I expect it will work fine.

Cheers and ride safe
    niknok9 likes this.
  11. niknok9

niknok9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes bro.awesome.cold weather = full charged battery and good sparkplug only
  12. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like I said earlier mine will start no matter how cold, I'm thinking it's been on a battery tender since new in 2016 that might make the differance, good info guys.
    niknok9 likes this.
  13. aguim

aguim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, my 2015 was brand new with a fully charged battery AND a new plug, but wouldn't start below 5*C. Facts : it was ok after I (a) removed the can and (b) switched to a slightly
    hotter plug.

The guy who now rides it says it starts right up with the original battery. Isn't that nice.
  14. niknok9

niknok9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually im still looking where to buy that oem battery.(gs gt7b-4) this battery is way better than any replacement battery ive checked online.this oem has 6.8 ah. What i have now is motobatt so far this is the best brand ive checked.only has 6.5 ah.
  15. aguim

aguim Long timer

Oddometer:
    The GS battery is sold by Yamaha as GT7-B4000-00. I think Yuasa has an equivalent
    battery. Both are tops.

BTW how does your starter cope with that big bore kit ? It is kinda small for the job already
    so I used to clean mine's commutator every wintertime (if I remember well the brushes were a mess to re-install correctly - but I may as well have left it alone as everything looked fine).
    Still, I don't really trust those smallish starters, long term...
  16. AdvTom

AdvTom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you got to the bottom of it! I sold a Honda SH300 years ago as it had the same problem. I now know I should have tried a new battery, but I didnt know any better then .
  17. niknok9

niknok9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i upgraded my coil and spark plug cable and install racing iridium (iu01-24) also add reinforced body negative wire.actually even without upgrading smax starter can handle bore kit.
    D865CED4-79D4-4B3E-9BED-017314CD39BA.jpeg
  18. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice.
    niknok9 likes this.
  19. Hero of Moka

Hero of Moka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Drained and removed caliper. Haven't popped the pistons all the way out yet - figured I'd clean the outside surfaces of caliper beforehand to keep dust from going inside. Was going to get to that but the smoke from next door neighbor (starting-to-get-senile elderly man) burning trash was giving me a headache. 2020 and people are burning trash in a city neighborhood- what went wrong with society? I digress.

Has anyone here DIY'd turn signals into where they are on the Euro/Asian model? I'll be starting that soon. Just gonna drill in, put the guts out of the pods with some amber led bulbs and rubber grommets - what could go wrong?
  20. aguim

aguim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an answer to the 'society' part : idiots nowadays run the show. Call CNN, show must go on ... call the cops, judge sends YOU to jail. But I digress.

As to the ugly flashers (really?) people who fool around them run into all sorts of un-expected problems. Unless you can order the whole asian setup, better leave it alone ?
    Wdoney and niknok9 like this.