Yamaha XC155 (SMax) thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Chillis, Aug 28, 2014.

1. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Anyone done much traveling on their Smax?
  2. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mines just used for around town and short trips on the highway going to play golf and such, my back won't take long trips any more.
    DandM, Glen e and sanjoh like this.
  3. LidoCA

LidoCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done a few short trips of under 300 miles each way, and 1 trip of 450 miles each way. Nothing like some others. Klaviator did some nice trips when he had his.
  4. Iwannascoot

Iwannascoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went from Dahlonega Georgia to Nashville Tennessee, Birmingham Alabama, Chattanooga Tennessee, Johnson City Tennessee, and home in six days. It was a blast. No interstate highways after Nashville. Total about 650 miles.
    ScooterJon, aguim and sanjoh like this.
  5. Cyberidd

Cyberidd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've mostly taken day trips on mine so nothing over about 400 km. Smax did great running near full throttle the whole time.
  6. aguim

aguim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine just retired for a few months. I'm thinking of a big bore + FI control unit...but not sure about the reliability...hmmm...
  7. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dealer had to order the recall kit from Yamaha but when they get it in I will run my SMAX down to the dealer and have them perform the recall. They have done 5 of them and not a single one was an issue. The whole thing is pretty stupid but it must be done. Also they say the head gasket must be replaced as well even if the torque is correct. So for those of you who have had the recall done but the bolts were in spec but they did not replace the head gasket then it was not done correctly. I doubt it really matters either way but something to think about!
  8. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine they replaced head gasket, re torc, checked valves, and replaced oil, I know the shop pretty well just down the street from me, ran like a top after done.
  9. aguim

aguim Long timer

Oddometer:
    No real need to replace the thin metal head gasket if the head nuts are already tight enough.
    My 2015 was emptied of coolant, nuts loosened and re-torqued (Yamaha uses moly to lube them), 3 years ago and running just fine.

Head nuts were already tight 'enough' , 20 pounds by-the-wristwrench. Shit this is no italian
    v-12.
  10. Cyberidd

Cyberidd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I haven't ridden my 2015 Smax in about 3 weeks thanks to some snow and ice on the road but yesterday I decided to try and fire it up anyway. It was about -2 C (28 F) and although I saw the instrument panel flicker a bit it started right up! I bought it used but I doubt the previous owner removed the canister. That said, it reminded me that I need to pick up a battery tender for the winter. Do you have any recommendations for what I should look for?
  11. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have mine on a battery tender, I fire it up once a month in winter and no matter what the temp it fires right up. No riding now till March, April winter sucks.
    Cyberidd likes this.
  12. aguim

aguim Long timer

Oddometer:
    The guy who bought my 2015 3 years ago phoned me yesterday to say it cranked but didn't start in the morning anymore (+/- 0 deg C around here nowadays). He also said the battery was original 2015. So I went to his home and simply switched his' with mine's ...and vroom !

So I brought his' home and checked it for voltage : 12.3V. Then I charged it 5h/1amp :
    it showed 12.7V...but only 12.3 again after resting for an hour.

Time for a new one, after 6 years of use. Not bad.
  13. firstshadow

firstshadow Urban Warrior

Oddometer:
  14. ScooterJon

ScooterJon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is very sad news! The Smax was the best of the 150cc class. I did see a local dealer with 2 2020 models listed at $2999, very good deal IF their other fees aren’t out of hand.
    Cyberidd and firstshadow like this.
  15. aguim

aguim Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Smax has (had) its faults, as everything else down here : a rather un-comfortable seating position, and a bumpy ride - thanks to the small wheels. Other than that it is (was) per-fect. No way I'd trade mine ...euh I've said that before...

It is now all a-parts, I'll only need a cyl. base gasket to put it back together (yes, the head one is perfectly sound). I wished to see what the ring gaps/ valve guides/ seats and such looked like after 5K : no friggin wear anywhere, so why do this...ask me.

The SH Honda won't come here, so we'll very probably stick with the yammie. Good enough stuff for anybody, so why want anything else...
  16. Wdoney

Wdoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the S-Max was primarily sold in North America. The rest of the world got the N-Max that has a maxi scooter style. Perhaps they will bring the N-Max to the US to fill the 150cc void. Or perhaps Euro 5 has made them having to do a total redesign to the 150cc platform.
  17. Cyberidd

Cyberidd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The traditional scooter styling of the SMax is one of the things I love about it! I greatly prefer it to the maxi scoot style of the NMax. I've had a lot of fun with my SMax so far and with how well made they seem to be made I'm looking forward to riding it for a long time still!
  18. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Canada we only get Yamaha, bws 125, honda small ruckus, susuki berg. 400 that's it we have no kimpco in BC guess we could get Piagio, vespa and Bev.
  19. none

none Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perhaps that paves the way for the Aerox155 to come our way!
  20. Hero of Moka

Hero of Moka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Deleted my windshield. Now I get clean (cold) air and no buffeting. I also did the seat mod and it is now super comfortable! (I'm 5'10" with long legs.)
    I am still impressed how fast this little guy is considering how huge/heavy it is and only 155cc.
    20201129_193005.jpg
    none and firstshadow like this.