Yamaha XC155 (SMax) thread

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by 16873, Aug 28, 2014.

1. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine gets around 80 mpg, even 2 up.
  2. abruptdecay

abruptdecay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my last 4 tanks have been 86.8, 83.9, 83, 87.8 mpg. just coming up on 2k miles total. mileage has definitely improved over the last 1200 miles or so
  3. dajeepman

dajeepman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think its not helping that i weigh over 290. So trying to haul that around above 60mph is killing the mileage.
  4. dajeepman

dajeepman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what back racks are yall using on your Smax?
  5. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shad ,with shad 39 lit. topbox
  6. abruptdecay

abruptdecay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah I'm just under 180 so I could see how that would make a difference!
  7. dajeepman

dajeepman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you are what i think yamaha test the mileage with lol at lease your weight class. i'm just over 70miles on this tank.. im at 1/4 tank now. I'm ok with that mileage.
  8. Calata

Calata Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NONE. I had a shad mount with a 60 lt case.

Problems.
    1. Shad mounts (both halves) developed rust and had peeling powder coat around the welds area where the brackets attached to the oval tubes. Removed, cleaned area of peeling powder coat and applied truck bed liner. Has held up afterwards for 2 years.
    2. One day, I noticed that my rear mount was wobbly when I stopped for gas. Upon closer inspection, found 1 bracket to oval tube weld broken. This now essentially had only 3 effective attachment points onto the scooter. Inspected even deeper, and found that on the opposite end of that broken mount, the scooter side of the mount attachment was broken off the frame. So the whole 60 liter box was attached to the scooter with only 2 effective mounts. Opened up the scooter down to the frame, cleaned, welded the mount back in, then painted it all back up.

When I went to weld the shad's broken mount, found the tubes to be so thin, I junked the whole unit. (For those that care, pop off the plastic caps on the end of those tubes and you'll see how thin they really are, even though I admit they do look beefy).

What irks me the most is that while the storage box is 60 liters, it's NEVER been traveled with anything inside. I only used the box to store my jacket when parked. Helmet is always under the seat.

Now before anyone wants to remind me that it's not designed for a 60 liter box, it's designed for a 39 liter box, when both are empty, the weight difference in the extra plastic cannot be that much to justify rusted and broken welds. If the welds are of good quality, the weld point should be stronger than the surrounding metal. So, for me, never again with the SHAD brand.

I am looking for a replacement mount thou, but of better quality this time. Open to ideas also.
  9. dajeepman

dajeepman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats interesting to know, if you find a beefer mount let me know. If i could find one locally, i would have a fab shop copy it maybe in aircraft grade aluminum.
  10. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's just the size of a 60, wind buffeting might have broken welds, my 39 has been on my 2016 smax since new with no problems.
  11. Calata

Calata Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Or the potholes, lol. As far as I'm concerned, welds should not break first before surrounding metal. Between the initial rust and then the broken welds ( and they are not tack welds either, rather beads), the QC wasn't up to my standards.

Just a small edit. My post above got me curious what else is available. Found the GIVI kit which looks exactly like the SHAD kit for less. ($95 on Amazon as of this post). Not for me, but maybe this post will help someone in the future.

https://giviusa.com/products/sr2121-monolock-rear-rack
  12. dajeepman

dajeepman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know the Stator/Generator output on the Smax?
  13. DrifterYank

DrifterYank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Specs in the Service Manual Screenshot_2021-06-23-08-05-35-783.jpg
  14. dajeepman

dajeepman Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. abruptdecay

abruptdecay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    does the Smax have a tip-over sensor? went down yesterday and it won't start now
  16. dajeepman

dajeepman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2020 didn't die when i laid mine over but it did cut off when i hit the kill switch, but yes it think it does have a tip over sensor.
  17. Iwannascoot

Iwannascoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got a call from my dealer and the recall parts are in. I just need to take a day trip to Tennessee to have the work done.
  18. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    So.... Just to re- visit the horrible seat which I thought was not so bad but now totally hate it. I have read through all the posts on it, I know for $500 I can get a new one but seems steep to me? Guys have cut out the helmet "cavity" and gotten new or cut the foam down but then isn't there a big soft spot where it was cut out? Want to make a mod but would love more feedback on it? Thanks!
  19. dajeepman

dajeepman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would like to know too.. my ass gets numb after 30min of riding this scoot. Wish it was a little softer
    Major Taylor and pvangel like this.
  20. DrifterYank

DrifterYank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See my old post, "I Did the Dirty Deed" complete with photos. Bottom line: it does not create a soft spot or affect appearance. I ended up having the seat modified by an auto upholstery shop anyway for $250.