Yamaha XSR900

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Brek81

Brek81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20191009_151123.jpg 20191007_171007.jpg
    old1959, Xchemie, sarcoid and 3 others like this.
  2. Transporto

Transporto Missing the wind, the road. It’s winter.

Oddometer:
    Hello good folks!

I like to stand often when I ride but I find the XSR footpegs slippery when wet. I really liked my SW Motech off-road pegs on my VStrom and have been hoping they'd make a set for the MT09/XSR900.

But nooooooo. Anyway, not yet.

I've considered the Puig model, but it seems they can loose their position under weight because they're only stabilized by tightening a screw!

I'm going to ask my mechanic what he might be able to do to adapt footpegs for the XSR. I want to get this sorted out this winter!

In the meantime, did anyone here find a solution to update to off-road footpegs?

Thanks
  3. HunterSon

HunterSon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OEM Yamaha SCR950 adventure footpegs bolt right on. I had a set on my FJ-09 and also put them on my MT-09.
    https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/...e-foot-pegs?b=Helmets&ls=yamaha-motor-company
    Xchemie and daveinva like this.
  4. Transporto

Oddometer:
    Thank you HunterSon !!!

Found them on the Yamaha Canada website. They're on the way.
    This is going to make my ride so much better!
  5. HunterSon

HunterSon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They don’t come with the clevis pins. The right peg pin is reused. The left one is riveted on and needs to be drilled out. I used a passenger peg pin and some washers until I ordered the left peg pin from the same SCR950.
    Glad I could help out. Makes it much nicer to stand up.
  6. Transporto

Oddometer:
    Finishing my second season with the XSR these days. It's getting wet and cold. Funny how you make more efforts to ride at the end of the season. And how you layer up and find excuses to go places between noon and 4pm when the temperature is still bearable. Already thinking about next season. But first this winter we have to solve the issues that have popped up:

1) Front brake is still squealing after 11000 km (dealer told me to hang in there until 8000 km)
    2) Gear indicator hardly ever shows 1st gear; never shows fifth and is sometimes iffy with the others
    3) The pipes are coated with cooked-on grime and look shitty (not washable)
    4) The passing beam switch (temporary highs) doesn't do anything anymore

The bike really got wonderful this summer; nicely broken in and smooth. The Michelin Road 5 also made a nice difference in front. I do look at other bikes... but there's only one or two I'd like to ride out of curiosity; not at all because I'd want to change.

The project with this bike is to run it to a half-million happy kms! Better stop everything and move south!
  7. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be interested as to how you solve this one. I got some stuff baked onto my headers in 1992. After a couple of feeble attempts to remove it, I left it. Its still there. The only solution I came up with was painting them or having them ceramic or maybe powder coated.
  8. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Selling my XSR900. It's in the flea market, but figured I'd wake this thread back up. The dealership salesman where I got the new(er) bike from suggested that I'll get a lot more action on selling this one in February. Probably right since it is his business. Either way, for sale!
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Years ago at the bike shop we got a Honda Hawk GT in, had stainless head pipes that were stained. If I remember right they cleaned them with crocus cloth, essentially sanding the surface around the tube to have a nice finish. Looked good.
    Mobiker likes this.
  10. ITFOWjacket

ITFOWjacket fistfights with wrenches..

Oddometer:
    Check out what the cat dragged home.

F8A10922-1064-4C11-858C-E66E7B086CCD.jpeg F8AE7DF2-650A-4C04-A9C5-514D06388F48.jpeg 2F3C111A-06F6-46D8-870F-15DD3B293D1C.jpeg C3C992D3-0D69-471D-A2A6-A61D4498303C.jpeg

Picked it up last weekend. Actually drove 5 hours each way to pick it up but got an amazing deal on it, at a dealership no less, let’s say a sold half of the floor room price.

Can’t wait to put miles on this beast. More pics and info to come.
    sarcoid, Motonirvana, SGrider and 5 others like this.
  11. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice.... full system exhaust and fly screen are good extras as well. Two things I put on mine that were essential to me.
  12. ITFOWjacket

ITFOWjacket fistfights with wrenches..

Oddometer:
    Yeah it’s also got some nice LED turn signals, and front axle sliders.

I’ve already spent way too much on givi topbox rack and givi outback 42l box w backrest pad.
    I’ve found my favorite rides are the full day/multi day tours and figured out on my last bike that a top box backrest works extremely well for my wife to ride pillion all day. Also having luggage accessible at chest height is nice.

Generic bar end mirrors are in the way for literally 16 bucks. Hope they work out but I despise most stock mirrors I can’t see thing with them currently.

I also spent way too much on the 2x2cycles vert rack mtb bike mount. Pretty excited about that, check it out.

https://2x2cycles.com/product/vert-rack/

I’m also the kind of heathen that puts highway pegs on my sport bikes. I don’t really plan on putting subframe crashbars on this bike but I figure if I get large enough, non tapered frame sliders they would be in the perfect place for footrests. Let me know if you guys know anything that fits the bill.
    merc16 likes this.
  13. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Hmm that seems fast..

Solve the suspension issue?
  14. Ron_Luning

Oddometer:
    Yes the stoltec front end kit with new springs, plus the Ktech Razor R shock were pretty good, and eliminated the, in my opinion, dangerous stock suspension.

Sold it in short order..... however:

Guy who bought it worked the strangest transaction deal I've ever experienced where he paid a real dealership using a credit card, and they wired me the money. It's all legit, not a scam. Now he has yet to pick the bike up even though I was paid 3 weeks ago.

I'm tired of housing this bike, and plan to move it from my garage to the tool shed. Now he is saying maybe mid April pickup due to Corona virus.

When am I justified in becoming an asshole and saying come get it or it gets parked in the street?
  15. cbig

Oddometer:
    Dunno,
    I'd be a little kind if you have the space. Title transferred I hope to him? Here we are under quasi lockdown. Those who have to work...have to work. Medical people, support, shipping, etc. You might be doing the guy a solid.

Did the suspension upgrades solve the pothole, expansion joint shocks to the body? I use the bike mostly to commute in the Downtown Los Angeles area and associated suburbs like Maywood. Streets are beat up. I entertain thoughts of trading it for a new T700 (what I wanted originally but never came to the US) then I put it in "A" mode in a place I can use it.

?
  16. mcbagpiper

mcbagpiper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone hasn't seen the xsr900 video Josh Herrin did with Nick van der Vegt it's worth watching. Search youtube for "pro rider josh herrin races mulholland highway"...great vid and awesome sound!
  17. Ron_Luning

Oddometer:
    The stock fork springs were too soft, which meant that the forks moved very quickly through their range of travel under jounce, putting the fork into the latter half of travel where action is harsh. The stock shock is pure garbage. Nothing more to say on that thing.

So with heavier springs and the modified cartridge from stoltec, the fork action was far better since it didn't blow through travel the instant it hit anything. The KTech shock was adjustable over a very wide range and could accommodate a more plush ride than stock - while maintaining control, as well as go up to heavy damping appropriate for a smooth track only.

That said, it still wasn't a plush ride. At the time when I was riding the XSR, I still also had my 2012 Super Tenere. The Tenere felt like a couch in comparison over the same bumps. The XSR will never be plush. The aftermarket suspension got it to the point where I didn't have the feeling that I should be wearing a kidney belt, and that the bike wouldn't bounce off the intended line if it hit rough pavement mid-corner. Stock suspension was an insult to the rest of the bike.

As you wrote though, the thing always missing from the Super Tenere was power/weight. The XSR will wheelie off a drop in the road in 3rd gear whereas the Super Tenere would need to go off a virtual cliff to do the same. I bought a KTM 1290 Super Adventure S, and it is very much a combination of the attributes of the XSR and S10.

If Yamaha would have come out with the T700 sooner, I'd likely own one. For general riding as a solo rider, I think it would be superior to the XSR. The problem will be that when you want to open it up, or do some sport riding it will not inspire involuntary laughs like the XSR.

If you haven't had an ADV bike though, I would get the T700 just to go into all the mountain roads in SoCal that you can't comfortably do on a streetbike.

Depending on how much the economy is destroyed by the current situation, you may be able to buy a T700 for 30% off this year!
    iyaoyas98 likes this.
  18. cbig

Oddometer:
    "Depending on how much the economy is destroyed by the current situation, you may be able to buy a T700 for 30% off this year!"

If the economy doesn't destroy me first!
    I had a ktm950 I bought new in 2005. Was ok, but you always wondered how much further down a trail you can safely go and how expensive a drop would be for repairs. That bike was not one for commuter miles, tuff to work on, time consuming and glitchy. I may do the t700 if priced right, most likely after the have to have its have em. I've got a xr650r I use for commutes because the suspension and seat are much better.

Thanks for the tips. If I keep the xsr900 (most likely) I'll put in racetec fork valves and springs, and get a olins shock I see for 4,500 bux.. valve it for 180 lbs single rider but spring it for 210 lbs .

I'm hoping i can retire within a few months to a year, see how the economy does. Be nice to have a larger dual sport I could put on the back of a motorhome. Right now the xr650r does that. If I could safely carry the xsr900 that would be good too.

Thanks,

Chuck
  19. Brek81

Brek81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had matt patton do my forks and rear suspension. He did a bit more than Cartridges will do. He does a lot of work on the fz09/fj09 forums.

I think it has helped a lot. The rear was probbably more neccessary imho. I learned a while ago that once you have a well tuned suspension, you will always want a well tuned setup.... it's an expensive lesson ;)
  20. kxthor

kxthor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just watched this video. He really makes the bike sing and dance. I guess we all wish we had those type of skills.