Yamaha XSR900

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Nov 16, 2015.

1. kxthor

kxthor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have spent the last 2 weeks or so reading over this thread. I have added this bike to my want list. As we get closer to the end of the year, I will get closer to getting a new bike. Will be starting to build our new house with garage soon. Currently my bike wants are between xsr900, cb1000r, and ducati monster 821. The monster is probably out because the dealer is 2 and half hours away, the other dealers are about an hour away. I live about 2 and a half hours from Houston and Yamaha is having a demo day around that area in April. If we are over the up with the virus by then and they still have the demo day, I will be going.
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My thoughts I made in the comments on the video:

I'm truly impressed with Josh Herrin staying in the right lane the whole way with only one slight bobble onto the line. I really would love to know his general speed, since it seemed he was very concentrated on good smooth sport road riding rather than road race speed. I'm also guessing they had the road blocked off, considering not a car in sight anywhere. Either way, he may be riding beyond my skill level, but I also think he was riding within his skills to deal with traffic had there actually been any. It seemed he clearly had line of sight and margin to allow for issues. There was a lot more there to perceive than just a fast rider on a winding road.
  3. kxthor

kxthor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree on all counts. Racers are taught to ride within their limits. He was probably riding at the 80 to 90 percent level. Everyone says smooth is fast, and that was the definition of that video. Makes me want to ride the bike more now.
  4. Slappy00

Slappy00 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Got Ohlins front and rear (installed the rear myself), and the bike is much better now. Getting the suspension setup by a race shop was also helpful.

YA535 (2-clicker) improved the "feel" of the rear. The stock rear was way too soft and I had no idea what was going on back there; it felt "numb", and on a light bike I like to feel what was going on. The Ohlins help with controlling sharp bumps (better than the OEM anyway), but also let me feel how the back tire is gripping. Overall, if you want a "Cadillac" ride, Ohlins won't give you that, they make race bike suspension, so you will get a "sport" type feel: where bumps are still noticeable (while feeling planted), but you get more feedback on how your bike is handling. If you are into "spirited" riding, then Ohlins will help, but if you want a plush ride, I'd look elsewhere.

The front NIX30 helped in the same way, but from memory the rear was the biggest change from stock: More firm but excellent feedback.
  5. kxthor

kxthor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your info. I will be test riding the bike in about a month if they still do the demo ride. I will pay close attention to the stock suspension, and see if aftermarket is needed while on test ride. I have not rode constantly over the past couple of years so maybe I will be able to tell and maybe I wont. Only the demo ride will I know for sure.
  6. fldfcnscsnss

fldfcnscsnss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First ride since October. Every season it's the same. Look it over. Lube the chain. It starts right up as if I had just ridden it yesterday.
    20200405_150256.jpg
    mrbreeze, old1959, sarcoid and 4 others like this.
  7. Subito

Subito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dig that bikini fairing, really complements the look of the bike!
    fldfcnscsnss likes this.
  8. fldfcnscsnss

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It's made by S2 concepts. The quality is excellent. The installation involves some modification, so you have to be committed to it.
  9. ITFOWjacket

ITFOWjacket fistfights with wrenches..

Oddometer:
  10. ITFOWjacket

ITFOWjacket fistfights with wrenches..

Oddometer:
    Guys I can’t tell how excited I am to get all this kit together. First moto ride to the MTB trail was after work on Wednesday. Smash hit, turned heads, operated just as intended with flying colors.

Quite the trial getting everything together in the current climate.

- 2x2cycle Vert Rack.

Incredible product hand made in North Carolina. Give those guys a hand, it took about a month from order to delivery. I’m sure those guys have scaled operations back to safe levels, customer service was great throughout.

- Givi FZ9/XSR9 top luggage rail and Givi universal plate.

The best deal was actually Motostorm, an Italian hosted website and warehouse. Amusingly they delivered in the advertised 4-7 days on the rack and plate. From Italy. In Mid March 2020. I left the box in garage a couple weeks waiting for the rest. Haha. Again great customer service, I actually ordered the alum box & backrest from them as well however, and I quote, “The Givi factory up the road has temporarily stopped making deliveries.”
    I opted to refund partial order and had the available parts and refund within the week.

- Givi Dolomiti Alum 42L w backrest.

Cyclegear had this on stock in PA, costing me almost the total of the original Italian order or rack, plate, and box for the box alone.

- Trek Marlin 7 that I’ve been thrashing since ‘17

Smashing it all together was an enjoyable afternoon. I’m really happy with the whole kit. Mount the MTB in a minute. Ride to the trail, ride, ride home.

As you can see my full face, track level boots, gauntlets, AND light jacket all fit well in the box. I have the 2x2 rack set perfect to fit the key and open the box with the MTB mounted. The 2x2 rack also unhitches with a single 13mm bolt (+ mandatory stabilizing strap) leaving behind a subtle 1in steel hitch.

The box and backrest are also set perfectly ,according to the wife. Don’t knock the backrest it does wonders stabilizing your pillion on both hard turns and long highway. I almost prefer it to normal 2up riding....

..:viking almost

The bike is pretty cool too:beer
  11. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the best looking XSR 900 I think ever seen you really cleaned look of the bike up the fairing, tail section, mirrors, and the various blacked out bits, tie in nicely, reminds me of a modern 550 Seca.
    fldfcnscsnss likes this.
  12. markk53

Oddometer:
  13. markk53

Oddometer:
    That is a thing of beauty. A hard shell cover over the passenger seat when riding solo would cap off the serious sport-cafe bike (to coin another term, meaning a cafe bike that can actually be ridden hard - aka no Firestone repops and spray bomb black paint work).
    fldfcnscsnss likes this.
  14. fldfcnscsnss

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks. It's funny. I wasn't interested in the tail piece until I had the front fairing for a while. I wonder how long I'll last before I add it. Probably not long.
  15. fldfcnscsnss

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot. The 550 Seca (and others) was the look I had in mind to mimick. Admittedly, I have never been really focussed on changing much. I removed the tail section and added the mirrors right away. I will black out a part or two on a rainy day when the mood strikes. And while I always had a desire for a front fairing, I held off until I could find something with that 80s look. It's funny. A lot of guys don't know what to make of it. I have had a few guys ask me if it is a "little 650". Sure it is. (I typically love 650s.)
  16. markk53

Oddometer:
    If there was a way to put on a sort of "wrap" a form fitting plastic shell to keep the two up set up would be sweet. One other would be if you could get smooth vinyl in a color match and have that back end upolstered over.

Either way it still just looks good and thank the Lord it isn't another black XSR! They rate right up there with the custom guys who say they wanted to do something different so they went with a skull motif. :becca

My son-in-law has one of the Indian FTR1200s and it could do a similar thing to have more street track look in his case.
  17. fldfcnscsnss

Oddometer:
    Not a bad idea on the tail. Even if the cafe tail piece was easily removable, I feel that my gf would see the addition as not wanting her to ride with me. Something that preserved the pillion accomodations would be nice. I am curious if the tail piece from a seca, nighthawk, zrx or similar could be made to work.

Yeah so I didn't like the completely blacked out versions either. I don't mind the black out trend but I like to see a colored tank or some color scheme incorporated. As a matter of fact, I got tired of looking at my black scout 60. Too much black. Same goes with thr FTRs. Wonderful bikes but aside from the RR, I personally would like to see them release some more colorful models.
  18. markk53

Oddometer:
    Long time ago I did the two tone seat thing on my Guzzi 850T. If I did it again I'd get the upholstry first then go for bike color. It didn't match too well. Plus in your case a colored back seat would keep the GF happy, and that is a good thing. It would also be cheaper than painting a tail, much less fabricating the part.

A thought though, if you could locate an 86-87 VFR 700/750 you could measure up the seat and see if the cover for them would work. There were some others that had some aftermarket or accessory covers if they could be measured up. Something to play with and think about...

I was able to cheat on my 700, C-Racer made a replacement flat track tail/seat that clicks on the bike. I want to keep options open so I don't want to take off the back frame rail and, in spite of them saying it clips right on, it doesn't. I need to sand off part of the bottom to fit around that big knuckle on the 700 rail. Once done I can turn a key and install the stock seat, the solo saddle, or the flat track tail. I'm digging that. Not enough time right now to do the job yet.

I really like these XSRs. Yours is the perfect example of how a person can customize the bike to please their own preferences without having to go totally bonkers on fabrication and expense. Not a lot of bikes you can do that with these days.
    fldfcnscsnss likes this.
  19. fldfcnscsnss

Oddometer:
    The C-racer seat for the 700 looks cool, but I would rather do it in the winter when I could take my time. I have seen a few cool seat options for that bike actually. It does lend itself to the flat tracker look.

Thanks for the ideas. If nothing else, it gives me something to consider. I know a guy with a lot of old japanese ujm and sport bike parts. I wouldn't be surprised to see VFR scraps laying around. When I get a chance, I will take the hour ride over to bug him and rifle through his stuff.
  20. markk53

Oddometer:
    That's the sweet part about the 700, it is a slap on replacement and would be perfect if it weren't for needed to sand maybe 1/4" off the edge on each side where it interferes. More of that stuff should be done.

What fairing is that and how easy was it to fit up?