Yamaha XSR900

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Nov 16, 2015.

1. SJ2017

SJ2017 What is this Adv riding?

Oddometer:
    I may try the shinkos next after my ride in July where I plan to put 3000 ish miles on my stock tires. Also has anyone tried any other brand oil or filters apart from what Yamaha uses?
  2. Psycoreefer

Psycoreefer n00b

Oddometer:
    If you're 99% paved roads then you may look into one of the sport touring tires instead, I've heard very good thing about the Michelin road 5 tires - good life and excellent grip. I've got about 500 miles on the shinko's and no issues with them. They do not have a 180/55 rear in the shinko 705, so you have to go with the 170/60 I believe, it is the same overall diameter but slightly narrower. Most places I'm a bit of an outlier because I do quite a bit of fire service/logging roads on my XSR, where the dualsport style tires really help out over a pure street tire. I only got 3000 miles total out of my stock tires, so if you're doing a long trip you may want to consider buying (or at least planning where you will buy) your replacements along the way.
    I've always run rotella diesel oil in my MC's. Really 'any' oil that doesn't have friction modifiers in it will be fine - most automotive oils have these friction modifiers. Motorcycle oils and most diesel oils do not.
  3. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont use overpriced Yamlube, i use whatever make 10/40 semi synth i get at a good price.
    Filters i use Hiflo, used em for years on all my bikes.
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I liked the gnarly tread, like a coarse version of a road race rain tire. I'd love to run flat track tires, but they wear too fast and I have the wrong size rims. I just couldn't resist them. When it comes to dirt/gravel roads I have a dual sport to ride, so that's not part of the picture for me. If I don't like the wear of the AX41s I will go to some bland long wear tread pattern that will make my bike look boring to me. I'm working on making the 700 look a bit street tracker doing stuff not normally done on the 700 by anyone. About 1/2 way done, still need paint or wrap on the flat track tail, did a Lucas style brow tail light and a 900 headlight (the side plate in the picture is hard board, now replaced with black acrylic). Pipe was done to maintain both reasonable volume while getting good tone and the type of pipe flat track DT-07s are running, low and long. More to go.

side view with seats.jpg

You are the first person I've found that has run the AX41S and I had to know. How did that tread work for wear on the front? I figure the back did the usual flat center deal.
    merc16 likes this.
  5. Psycoreefer

Psycoreefer n00b

Oddometer:
    As I said the rear lasted about 4k miles, I live in the mountains and no one has ever accused me of being 'slow', so most of my tires do not get a flat center, and the AX41S didn't either. I believe it is a dual compound tire which helps with that also. At the 4k mark I was mid-way through a multi-state trip and the front looked like it had some life left in it so I only replaced the rear. Between 4k and 7k miles after replacing the rear the front developed a severe case of 'cupping'. Front was replaced at 7k miles when I returned home. Based on my experience I'd recommend replacing Both at the 4k mark.

If it turns out you don't like the AX41S you should check out the Dunlop mutant before deciding to go to a 'boring' tire. This will likely be the next tire I run on my 900, and then I'll decide which of the 3 I liked the best, the shinko 705 I'm on now is by far the 'most aggressive'.
    upload_2021-6-10_8-50-41.png
  6. Psycoreefer

Psycoreefer n00b

Oddometer:
    This is how my 900 is sitting today

IMG_20210609_132258.jpg
  7. markk53

Oddometer:
    The Mutant would be in the hunt, but no chunky block tires, since it's road use, with about the only dirt/gravel being a driveway somewhere. I ride a dual sport when I want to slide around sideways and thrash the back roads. I don't want to slide out an $8000 bike splattering all kinds of costly bits when I have a $2000 dual sport that can survive most stuff with just some scuffs.

Really like the rain tire look, like these Michelins and the Heidenau SM tires, but likely way too soft.

[​IMG]

Very likely I'll end up on some boring tread street tires in the long run.

Plus no insult intended on the flat center comment. Most sport tires I've seen where the rider is actually riding street, no matter how good the rider, the centers are the main wear point, flattening some.
  8. Psycoreefer

Psycoreefer n00b

Oddometer:
    I didn't interpret it as an insult at all - I know its a very common thing and as much as I like to brag that it is all to do with my skill - it likely has more to do with the fact that I live in the mountains so basically 'every' ride requires nearly as many corners as it does straights. The only time since I moved to this location that I've ever had tires get squared off is when I go on a long trip to some other place - all the highway miles......
  9. markk53

Oddometer:
  10. fldfcnscsnss

fldfcnscsnss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got the S2 Concepts tail fairing last fall to go with the front fairing. Finally took a pic today. I lkke the look. There are a lot of different directions when looking to customize the XSR900. Most look good to me. I am happy with this one. Not sure I will change much of anything else. A new exhaust is tempting, but I do love the stealthiness of the stock setup.

20210620_193442.jpg
    chethro, JHG67, firstshadow and 4 others like this.
  11. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Do you have a shot of the front?
  12. fldfcnscsnss

Oddometer:
    Thanks! This is the best I got....
    20210321_163215.jpg
  13. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Nice looking! How does it work for pushing the air?
  14. fldfcnscsnss

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I would say that it takes a little wind off youe chest. I take a little less beating at 80MPH.
  15. SJ2017

SJ2017 What is this Adv riding?

Oddometer:
    I am looking to replace my now dead Yuasa battery. What battery brands have you guys tried? Any recommendations?

Has anyone tried the firepower li ion battery that I see being recommended on a few motorcycle parts websites?
  16. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
  17. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got my arse in gear and fitted a tail tidy... its only taken me 4 yrs to get around to it !
    I got the Evotech one as i wanted to keep the short section of aluminium fender.

Before...

DSC00286.JPG

After.....

DSC00313.JPG

DSC00312.JPG
    merc16 and Motonirvana like this.
  18. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    I like the tail light S2 Concepts has that goes really well with their other body pieces. Would work well with your self-illuminated tail tidy.
    [​IMG]
    merc16 likes this.
  19. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have contemplated changing the rear light, but i would have to see one fitted and working in real life.
    I've had issues with aftermarket led tail lights before, either causing problems or not being bright enough. The OE one does work well and is very bright on the brake light.
  20. markk53

Oddometer:
    There is an alternative. Cut the bump off for the lollipop, sand and grind a bit then glue in a piece of ABS with the black plumber's pipe cement. Then fit a tail light. I did the Lucas brow style so I didn't have to do any paint work other than reshoot it with matte black after cutting and grinding the plate mount off and fitting it to the fender contour using a bandsaw and bench belt sander.

fender small.jpg

taillight.jpg

That is the fun part of the XSR - changing things to look like what you want. I don't care for covers so instead of putting one on over the rear brake reservoir I spent about $8 on an aluminum front brake remote reservoir. Now it has a titanium tone alloy reservoir instead of the plastic one.