1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha XT1200Z SUPER TENERE at SUPER PRICES

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by lotecredneck, Sep 1, 2010.

1. jdpower

jdpower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've loved the Varadero but since not available in the USA, it was a no go. Now with the S10, no chain and more technology and likely better price too. No contest for me even if the Varadero was released here.

JDP
  2. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Just curious, does whether they bring the Super Tenereere depend on pre-sale orders or is it definitely coming? Ship dates, etc.?
  3. jdpower

jdpower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is definitely coming but on the PDP program just like Yamaha did with the FJR back in 2003. There is therefore no risk to them since all bikes are covered by a deposit and thus real sales with no inventory sitting in dealerships. They discontinued this plan (maybe 05 I think but not sure) with the FJR after they found there was a market here in the USA for such a bike. I think it is a good message to send to the companies that make bikes that the USA is changing from just cruisers and sport bikes which is so different than most countries. The fact of this has burned them in the past i.e. trans alp, africa twin, FJ1200 and others.

JDP
  4. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    So, they're only going to ship the ones for which they have a deposit?
  5. scrminbanshee

scrminbanshee Ready to travel

Oddometer:
    Might be time for my strom to be put up for sell.
  6. monkeyfez

monkeyfez Enabler....

Oddometer:
    been having the same thought.
  7. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is correct.
  8. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    So bringing the Super Tenereenre does depend on pre-sale orders.

Thanks.
  9. monkeyfez

monkeyfez Enabler....

Oddometer:
    well that kinda sucks. If I can't at least sit on it there's no way in hell I'm gonna drop $$. Oh well. Guess I'll just wait and see then.
  10. gasgasman

gasgasman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my dealer has told me yamaha is planning 1500 units for the usa if the presale orders are more than 1500 they have time to gear up for more!
    i would assume some dealers will order for inventory in there market to have units for customers that need to see them or are unaware they are coming over here.
    yamaha came up with 1500 units as compred to the 1800 units bmw gs sells in us a year!
  11. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really. The only thing the PDP program does is define the amount that are brought in.

I guess technically you are correct that if no one a put deposit on one then none would come in.
  12. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Yeah. That's kind of my point.

Just curious, what kind of dealer support can you expect?

One of the appeals of buying a Yamaha, Suzuki, or Honda as opposed to some of the European bikes is the large dealer network and the ability to get something fixed almost anywhere.

If someone rode a Super Tenererere into a random Yamaha dealership in the U.S., would they be able to service it? Get parts for it?
  13. Shane Stump

Shane Stump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a REAL scare as I went through that with my FJR 1300 AE before I finally got rid of it (and the problems)!

But I honestly figure after looking back on it that I just had 3 LOUSY dealers and since Tony is only 250 miles from me, I will have EXCELLENT dealer support if I need it.

Best Regards,

Shane
  14. jdpower

jdpower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can read about the PDP on Yamaha's web site. It is their ballgame and their ball, so if we want to play, we go by their rules :rofl .

JDP
  15. charliebrown

charliebrown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So will Yamaha be bringing the S10 to the motorcycle shows this winter? I'm assuming they will, but don't remember if the FJR was on display during that PDP. I'm one of those that need to try it on for size before dropping the bucks.
  16. O Captain My Captain

O Captain My Captain Upsetting the apple cart

Oddometer:
    Good point. I don't know if they will, but Yamaha would be remiss if they didn't bring out an S10 to the winter shows. I don't necessarily need to ride one or even sit on one to decide before buying. All the pictures I've seen and reviews I've read indicate that this bike is a winner for me, but certainly to see one up close and personal would likely put me over the edge and prompt me to buy one sooner. Unless of course I really don't like the ergos or something else about the bike, but I'm not concerned that will be an issue.
  17. lotecredneck

lotecredneck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel sure they will bring it. They had the FJR and it would be foolish for them to not include the Tenere at the shows with all of the buzz.

Tony
  18. xcsp

xcsp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope they have them at the shows as I really would like to "try it on for size". It would be foolish not to have one there!

I didn't see the '03 FJR 1300 unitl mine showed up at the dealer in the summer, didn't see any at the Chicago Cycle show that previous spring.
  19. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  20. full of days

full of days Simplify or Die

Oddometer:
    Tony, I'm holding out on putting down my deposit until Triumph releases their info on the Tiger 800's. Might have to get the bigger Yami if the price is comparable.
    :clap