Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree there must be a bit of technique involved. My 14 yr old son who doesn’t have much experience was getting a really bad wobble at about 50mph. I thought something was bad wrong. I rode the bike to wide open...70 indicated and it was stable as it could be. I did try to make it wobble and could see if I got “too” loose, i could get it to wobble. Perhaps short wheelbase and steering head angle? His light weight or wear he is sitting? Not sure how he was allowing that to happen. Just seems very sensitive...much less than my WR250R.
  2. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    High wind riding challenges even experienced riders, as I often see threads on forums about the matter.

Is the little XT capable? Sure. Is it ideal? No. Consider the fact that bikes, because of centrifugal forces in the spinning wheels, will ride themselves but for the poor inputs of riders.

I ride a naked Ducati Hyper in all sorts of conditions and speeds. Lightweight, all wind on me. No issues in Oklahoma wind conditions. (That means really windy, because as we all know Oklahoma sucks.) However, I would never consider riding the little XT in any conditions with long highway sections. It's a dirt bike with tags.
  3. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @RL two ways you're wrong. Oklahoma doesn't suck, and the XT does fine in wind... as long as it's not a headwind. :)
  4. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Too funny. Ever wonder why most of the blue northerners stop at the Red River?

Yes, I ride in all sorts of wind, including the Arizona crosswinds that toppled semi trailers. One guy coming to one of my 4 Corners rides came right through a haboob. He found sand for years afterward.

I reserve the little XT for fun exploration. I ride street bikes for twisty backroad adventures.
    randypower likes this.
  5. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    where did you get the case savers you are using?
    Ikeus 77287 likes this.
  6. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    flei likes this.
  7. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Since the Slickrock Trails in Moab are all over 6,000' in elevation, the little 250 was performing below the sea level torque output. Something noticeable when I needed to go from stopped at the base of a seemingly straight up wall of rock to the top. I think that for the next higher altitude challenge lower gearing is in order. While I don't want the constant shift between 1st and 2nd, those wall climbs, with necessary line adjustment, necessitate more of a crawl mode. I wonder if a one tooth smaller countershaft sprocket would suffice?

[​IMG]
  8. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Studied the options for changing gearing with disappointment. Best option for variety of sprocket options is to upgrade to a 520 chain setup.

Titanium alloy sprockets: https://japan.webike.net/products/23715729.html - These are for the Yamaha FZ400R which uses the same size rear sprocket.
    The Yamaha 250 Raptor quad uses the same front sprocket, but sized for 520 chain. Size options from 12+.

If I get serious for the change, it will be to a 520 chain and sprockets.
  9. pvwheeler

pvwheeler Your Message Here...

Oddometer:
    I just got a 14 tooth sprocket off of eBay. Fit perfectly.Made by Fritzco.
    RL Lemke likes this.
  10. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Thank-you. Ordered 13 & 14.
    beemerbum55 and pvwheeler like this.
  11. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Couple days in the Ozarks.

[​IMG]
    beemerbum55 and pvwheeler like this.
  12. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Rains offer some interesting water crossings.

[​IMG]
    flei likes this.
  13. randypower

Oddometer:
    Nice. Did you ride across? How deep? Looks like that water is moving rather quickly.
  14. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Deep enough to move most vehicles. Motorcycles have more open wheels and these were gummy hybrid knobby tires. Great grip on all things slippery. How deep? 1' to 2', as the depth was above the footpegs and up on my boots some.
    randypower likes this.
  15. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
  16. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
  17. randypower

Oddometer:
    Beautiful place
  18. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Ouachita National Forest in Arkansas. Countless water crossings because of all the rain. We avoided the areas with the deep crossings.

Today was the Ozark National Forest.
    randypower likes this.
  19. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    I find that the speedometer is 5 mph optimistic with the knobby tires I have. The paved sections were most comfortable at up to 45 mph, or 40 mph real speed. The gnarly and rocky trail sections would be better geared lower, but not too much. So, it is time to change to a 14 tooth front sprocket.

[​IMG]

I know that some here want the XT250 to be their everything motorcycle, which includes highway riding. Not me. I have a Ducati for my warp speed touring.

I'll continue to transport my XT250 to riding areas for exploration, saving my knobby tires for better traction.
    beemerbum55 and fastdadio like this.
  20. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    The mousse insert is proving to be perfect for the XT250. Zero risk of flats = More focus on fun.