Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful place
  3. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Ouachita National Forest in Arkansas. Countless water crossings because of all the rain. We avoided the areas with the deep crossings.

Today was the Ozark National Forest.
    randypower likes this.
  4. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    I find that the speedometer is 5 mph optimistic with the knobby tires I have. The paved sections were most comfortable at up to 45 mph, or 40 mph real speed. The gnarly and rocky trail sections would be better geared lower, but not too much. So, it is time to change to a 14 tooth front sprocket.

[​IMG]

I know that some here want the XT250 to be their everything motorcycle, which includes highway riding. Not me. I have a Ducati for my warp speed touring.

I'll continue to transport my XT250 to riding areas for exploration, saving my knobby tires for better traction.
    fastdadio likes this.
  5. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    The mousse insert is proving to be perfect for the XT250. Zero risk of flats = More focus on fun.
  6. DJSponge

DJSponge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you mousse the front tire? If not, any reason why not?
  7. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Purchased a mousse for the front, then learned that it would not fit correctly.

Perfect fit is critical to mouse life. Next front tire, I will look for a size that has a mousse to fit. For now, it is a natural rubber heavy duty Michelin inner tube.

This is the first time I have purchased mousse inserts because of all those who say they melt and are impossible to install. Well, on small bikes they are GREAT. My brother has mouse in both tires of his KTM 250 Freeride. With the long life available because of the bike weight and relative low horsepower, mousse is the best zero flat option.

The XT250 isn't a 85+ mph highway flyer, so melting isn't going to happen.

Since my XT250 focus is trail riding, unpaved backroad exploring and only as much connecting paved road as necessary, preventing flats with the mousse is a great option. No more checking air pressure. No flat repair kit needed. Just check gas and ride.
  8. RL Lemke

Oddometer:

Wet and sandy Moab slickrock, wet rock and clay, rounded and sharp angular rock, gravel roads, dirt trails, all are better with this tire than other knobby tires, because I saw how my brother's OE KTM tire did on each of these surfaces. These tires grip in places and off-camber wet situations I expected to slide but didn't.

The five short highway connecting segments were OK with this tire, though it felt a little squirmy when turning paved switchbacks.

Superior off-road grip, predictable and confident on unpaved backroads, and acceptable for connecting paved roads, these tires are a great option for those focused on off-road riding.
    AZ Air Hd likes this.
  9. AZ Air Hd

AZ Air Hd Air heads R 4ever!

Oddometer:
    Great thread! Thanks for posting & keeping it going. A lot of useful info.
    The little XT250 is most fun I've had on 2 whls for a long time!
    fastdadio and randypower like this.
  10. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Thinking about the short time we were on paved roads, without a radar detector, I have to smile. The little XT250 had to work at getting up near the speed limit. For someone wanting to slow down, this is the bike. Relax and explore, leaving the paved roads to the sport bikes.
    Xiola_Blue likes this.
  11. baldtire

baldtire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a rear light replacement type for a 2018 xt250, MX store has a fair range but which one to get, BTW I'm in Australia so USA types wont really help me.
  12. cnydreamr

cnydreamr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anything will fix with some work, it depends on if you want a bolt on replacement or custom. Do you want to just get it back in service or customize and slim it down. I've had a drc on mine, now I have a trailer light. FB_IMG_1521130744797.jpg

Attached Files:

Ikeus 77287 likes this.
  13. baldtire

baldtire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, its to slim it down, I may have something that come on friday so havnt looked at it yet, will post a picture when I open it up
  14. zamram

zamram Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone mounted a fuse block on their FI generation XT.
    I'm going to put on heated grips, tender cable, usb cable. There's not a lot of room under the seat.
    Want are y'all doing?
  15. DJSponge

DJSponge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m in the same boat...I did put on the JNS headlight to save some wattage. LED blinkers and tail next.
  16. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    Might be some room in the tool kit compartment. Located under and forward of the gas tank.

In other news today, I just mounted a Dunlop D-606, 120/90-18 on Fastlady's XT. The oem Bridgestone 120/80 was pretty shagged at 5250 miles. We're headed for sand country next week. Fits well and looks to be running about 1/2" from the shock mud guard. Might be about as tall as one might want to go without rubbing.
    SAM_3881.JPG
    Ikeus 77287 and randypower like this.
  17. zamram

zamram Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you like the JNS?
  18. zamram

zamram Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ]Might be some room in the tool kit compartment. Located under and forward of the gas tank.

I did think of that but haven't looked into it.
  19. cnydreamr

cnydreamr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to share my tire change. Trying something a little unusual for this bike. I've put 2500 miles on the stock tires, but i wanted them gone sooner. The new ones are shinko 546 front and 520 rear. Sizes 90/100/21 and 120/100/18 rear. I know the rear is too large, but i took a gamble anyway. The front I'm not sure yet.

Attached Files:

Ikeus 77287 likes this.
  20. Major_Tom

Major_Tom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys! My girlfriend just recently got an awesome deal on a 2013 xt250 and is looking for upgrade/bolt-on advice. She already has a moose racing XCR rear rack and original owner who used it for MSF schooling threw in gratis a new protaper sport unadilla bar.

She has been looking around for options and here are what i have come up with:

Rear Shock Springs:
    Racetech : $149.95
    Hyperpro : EU108.90

Rear Shock:
    Modoc 250 : $713.90
    Racetech Valve kit : $169.95

Forks:
    HyperPro springs : EU151.25
    Cogent Dynamics (springs+emulators) : $376.95
    Cogent Dynamics (emulators only) : $187.95
    Racetech Emulators : $159.95

Bash Plate:
    Procycle (looks to be moose racing) : $89.95
    B&B : $184.95

Hand Guards:
    Highway Dirtbikes (with mirrors) : $210.00
    Moose Racing (with shields): : $69.90

Mirrors:
    Doubletake : $95.90
    Procycle : $45.90
    HDB : $50

This gives her two roads:
    $452.35 of just springs, bashplate, and handguards
    -or-
    $1,091.80 with springs, emulators, bashplate, handguards, and mirrors.
    We arent even considered the modoc shock, but included it for completeness.

I suppose the main question I have to ask is how many of these upgrades will the next owner pay for upon resale?

If anyone has any other suggestions or leads please let me know!