Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Logger06

Logger06 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very cool!
  2. slim_radio

slim_radio SUMO OR DIE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that an XT? What in the world... I have never seen anything like that. Very cool.
    Logger06 likes this.
  3. slim_radio

Oddometer:
    How do you like that parabellum windshield? Also did you feel the suspension upgrade was worth the cost? I only weigh 145lbs so I have been holding out on the suspension upgrade. I was using the national cycles windshield on the XT but it was a little bulky so I ended up installing it on my harley instead. Do you feel like it helps to keep the air/bugs off of you? I ride a lot in the cold months and having that windshield there made a HUGE difference this last year.
  4. tom c

tom c Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden the XT with the parabellum windshield very much yet so it's hard for me to say. I'll have to see after I ride it a while.

For me the Cogent suspension upgrade was well worth the cost - much more than just proper springs.
  5. BillyAR15

BillyAR15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FE94870C-7C8A-41CC-8470-3BA26A88C4EB.png I like the Parabellum. My XT is 95% used off-road, and the screen is for blocking roost, and limbs. The screen does block a good amount of wind off my chest on the few occasions I’m on the pavement.

Attached Files:

AdventuresofJB2 and Milano.B like this.
  6. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, it’s a Tricker. Same Engine, same frame(?), with smaller tank and wheels. Very light, 120kg with fuel. Love it.
    JB44 likes this.
  7. slim_radio

Oddometer:
    So is this something you can buy or did you have to make it?
  8. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can buy. It’s a good sale in Japan, Italy. Not too much here, they all want a lot of cc.
  9. sKatZ

sKatZ Custom Title: Professional Trainwreck

Oddometer:
    Just got an 09 as my "recovery bike" and so far, it's not bad. Just what I need for now - a bit slow, a bit mellow. I'm still looking up stuff when I have the energy but if anyone can clue me about adjusting the levers - is that even a thing? - I could use a shorter pull.
  10. Socal996

Socal996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While installing the Cogent front DDCs and springs I added these tie down rings. There isn't much real estate on the bars for my normal straps so thinking I'd give these a try.

IMG_1822.JPG
    Logger06 likes this.
  11. darinm

darinm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't remember the stock ones being adjustable but I've been happy with these guys, especially considering the price. You can adjust the pull on them, they're shorter and fold backwards if you drop the bike and don't have brush guards.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/274025702985
    JB44 likes this.
  12. Milano.B

Milano.B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks nice!

How do you like Cogent DDC?
    Is the tie down ring more convenient than a soft strap around the handlebar?
  13. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep those canyon dancer tie down rings are the "cats".----------been using them for years.
    Just ordered some more about 3 days ago after buying another motorcycle a couple weeks ago-----about $12 a pair for the canyon dancers-------but found a copy brand on Amazon for $8 for 5 pairs-------------so that's 10 rings. And that's what I ordered.
    They had an 8 mm hole and the bike I bought had 10mm bolts sold had to drill them out.

I've never been able to get these things to work on any of the KTM's I've got--or Husqvarna's---the triple tree bolts are at a funny angle-----------no worky.
    Edit:-------they did work on my 701.
  14. georgej

georgej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do they go on? Are they easy to install?
  15. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Just pull the lower bolt out on the upper part of the triple tree---but the ring under the bold head and re-install.
    A 2 minute install.---------I'll go out and take a pic of mine.
    BigDog
  16. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    You won't have to drill the holes out for the XT.

IMG_0176.jpg
    ncroadtoad and JB44 like this.
  17. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
  18. Socal996

Socal996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've only put a few miles on since the install, they are definitely stiffer and that's part of what I was looking for.

As for the tie down, I'm planning to ride this bike on the TAT next year and seems like by the time you ad a couple RAM mounts plus the hand guards there isn't much room for standard tie down hooks or the straps I typically use. So thought I'd give these canyon dancers a go. Big Dog likes them and he has a lot more experience using them than me.
  19. georgej

georgej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks BigDog.
    BigDogAdventures likes this.
  20. JClaffee

JClaffee n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all. Newb rider here, but recently bought a 2018 XT from a close friend. Have only done a few rides totaling ~ 150 miles, mostly on dirt and some jeep roads, including 2 trips up around 10,000+ ft elevation, and the bike has been great. It's like a 2-wheeled tractor.

Long history of riding (racing many years ago) mountain bikes and racing sports cars, but have never had a motorcycle. Lots to learn, but have already started making changes to the bike.

Could someone point me to links for LED replacement bulbs for the tail light and rear turn signals by any chance??