Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. heliyardsale

heliyardsale Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer:
    I traded by 09 DR650 in on this 2020 KTM390. Couldn’t be happier. We also bought 2 new 2022 XT250’s.
    IMG_2014.jpg
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    245941473_4760093080691420_1013178684659567766_n.jpg
    heirhead, dp064, JB44 and 6 others like this.
  3. BillaBongo

BillaBongo Old Git

Oddometer:
    I have the JNS sealed LED unit in my XT250. (see post a few days ago) Expensive, but very good. Bright, very white colour, and good beam cut-off. Easy fit in the XT without any chopping of plastic. I put some thin door seal strip around to minimise water ingress from the front, as the standard seal can't be used.
    Have a JNS headlight in my DR650 as well. Also very good.

Re H4 LED lamps, I have tried to fit them in other bikes, but the extra gubbins on the back never fitted in the space. Gave one away to a friend with a Honda Shadow, fitted OK in the large headlight shell.
    I have seen a favourable report on line on the AUXITO H4 LED lamps. Small physical fitting with no fan, so should be no issue with space. Also claim good beam shape and not expensive (certainly less than Cyclops).
    I have ordered up a couple to see what they're like to fit in my MG V7. May put them in my van if too big/not bright enough.
    Jim Lad likes this.
  4. georgej

georgej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks twin rider. I'm a little skeptical about the way they mount in general.
  5. georgej

georgej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you like that 390 compared to the DR?
    heliyardsale likes this.
  6. Motoblag

Motoblag Replacing skill with will

Oddometer:
    My '21 XT250 will occasionally stall out right after starting when it's below 60 degrees F or so. It's happened four or five times in the past year but the second hit of the starter makes it fire up no problem. Yesterday it stalled twice in a row.

Is this anything to worry about? Anyone else experience this?

Of course my warranty expired three days ago. :rofl
  7. Jim Lad

Jim Lad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Billabongo, thanks for the comments and the info re the Auxito bulbs. In essence the Cyclops may be more than I need and that also goes for the headlight replacement you did. In essence one of my rules for riding in Africa is 'don't ride at night'. However things happen and sometimes it can't be avoided but should only be for a short time. A bright light would illuminate the potholes and any wandering animals. I see the Auxito bulbs are available on ebay with UK stock, so I think I'll go for one of those. Thanks again!
  8. heliyardsale

heliyardsale Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer:
    It’s definitely more fun to ride, power is pretty comparable, handling is very good. You need to rev it a little more, not quite as torquey down low. it’s a really nice bike, not as much vibration. The slipper clutch is 100 times better than the old-school DR clutch. The display is really nice, I’m not much of an ABS/ride mode person but it’s all there if you want to use it. Definitely much nicer on the pavement than the DR650.
  9. georgej

georgej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a nice machine. I'm thinking of maybe getting one to use as my road/street bike. What dealer did you get it from?
  10. BillaBongo

BillaBongo Old Git

Oddometer:

LED lighting colour makes a real difference to being seen by car drivers, as well as seeing pot holes/wildlife/etc on the road. Over here, the WoF (equivalent to MoT) annual safety tests don't like replacement LED H4 lamps, even if the beam shape is good; while a sealed unit a la JNS is acceptable. So the choice is an easy one, unless you want to swap them in and out at test time.

Some H4 LEDs are complete crap. Had one cheapie from ebay that lasted all of 3 seconds. Never got to find out if the beam shape was bad!
    The Auxito ones look better quality as well as an easier fit, and cheap enough for a try out.
    That's good to hear there is UK stock. If you get them before me, let us know how they look.
  11. twinrider

Oddometer:
    You'll find LEDs are way more effective when they're in a housing made for LED, like the JNS. They don't fare as well in halogen housings as the light emitters are in different locations than the H4 bulbs and the reflectors don't work well with them. I tried an LED in my XT and wasn't impressed. Went to an HID and it was much better as they work well in halogen housings as the emitter location is the same as an H4. There are a few LEDs out there whose makers claim they've solved this issue. A search here will bring up a thread about it.
  12. Jim Lad

Jim Lad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the headlight bulb input guys. Still debating it. Any solution I decide on won't be tested until January when I get to see my XT250 for the first time in Namibia.
  13. tom c

tom c Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. Milano.B

Milano.B Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Agree if the LED elements are not at the same level as the tungsten filaments, this will create 'glare' (unfocused light).
    There are some LED headlamp where the elements are positioned at the same level as the halogen bulb.
    So far, mine has been subjected to many 'field tests' (drops, crashes & severe dust) and the fan is still spinning.
    Cost for a pair is the same as a halogen bulb but burn much less Watt (36W) and less stress for the wallet.

IMG_5555 Mini.jpg
    JB44 likes this.
  15. twinrider

Oddometer:
    What brand is that LED? I just dropped $100 on a Cyclops Ultra 10 bulb for my KTM. Plug and play with the connectors but $$$$.
  16. Milano.B

Milano.B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, Big brand name cost $. Consumers are paying for the big $ advertisement/middlemen.

After seeing the 'Torture Test' video of my LED headlight
    - Fully Submerged in the water - light is still working
    - Freeze test into Solid Ice - light is still working
    My friends got them too after seeing the Torture Test. So far I have not heard of one failing.

Riding OffRoad behind CompassJames, the fan has a heavy coat of dust, fan is still working.
    This brand has the most compact fan that I am aware of (easier on the install with all the OEM cables behind the headlight).

Got a Pair about 1.5y ago, $16.75 shipped including tax, direct purchase from the manufacturer.
    Note: I am not associated in any shapes or forms with the company.
    Brand name is Infitary, with ZES chips.

If my headlight cracks, the choice is easy with JNS.
    In the meantime, friends said the retrofit headlight is very visible. I like the price too :thumb
    The beauty of a retrofit, should it fail on a trip, it is an Easy Replacement with halogen at any auto part stores.
    JB44 likes this.
  17. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve got a question for the collective again. I have a 2009 XT250. Last month I replaced the clutch plates. There was no free play in the clutch cable and the clutch was slipping. The plates were toast.

When changing the clutch plates I found the lock nut on the clutch adjustment screw loose. I made sure to torque everything to spec as per the manual. In the last month, the bike has done 66 miles of trouble free hard miles on single track in sand and mud. But, once again, I lost free play in the clutch cable and now the clutch is slipping again. I suspect that lock nut on the adjustment screw has backed off. I didn’t see anything about it in the service manual. Should I put locktite on such a component?
  18. Jayjohn

Jayjohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the comments. I completed my first multi day ride loaded with my gear across various terrains and decided to stay with the stock setup as it was needed at times.
  19. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Yes Xt250 related!
    Did this on BMW100gs years ago.
    Rear bearing went out and bike had just a touch over 36,000 miles on it
    and dealer would not warranty it. NOT Irv Seaver!
    Well almost all bikes are over on there speedo/odo.
    Proved and told BMW that technically bike had 35,900 and change and warranty was good till 36,000 real miles and not what there over zealous odo said. Warranty fixed it.
    Also, throwing this out. Have an xlnt PMR Rear rack, do not need. What is it worth?
    Thanks,

hh
    wwm
  20. slim_radio

slim_radio SUMO OR DIE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today is a sad day... I joined this forum in January when I bought my 2021 XT250 off of the showroom floor at my local dealer. I have poured thousands of dollars, and hundreds of hours into loving, washing, maintaining, riding, and learning on this bike in the past 11 months. I put the odometer at over 4,000miles in it's first year on the road. I upgraded everything to the way I wanted it, and I spent hours of time on youtube watching every video I could to learn all about this machine and all about riding technique. I passed my MSF course on this bike. I went on joy rides with my children and my wife. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

Unfortunately for me... a judge decided that I owe back support on my son for about a decade. So now I have to sell the XT to pay the state of Indiana and my exh. I have looked into a lawyer and my options on getting it worked out but for now I must pay it or they will take my license, my vehicles, and throw me in jail.

So I listed my 2016 Harley Street 750 and My 2021 XT250 on facebook a couple weeks ago and decided whichever sold first would pay for the back support. Of course the XT sold first. A guy from Kentucky named Tony bought it from me. He's an older gentlemen and seems like a good guy. I bet he'll have a blast on it. But I wish the Harley would have sold personally :(. On the bright side a kid messaged me who had a 2021 KLX300SM. He wanted a cruiser style bike and said he would trade for the Harley. We met up about 30 minutes from my house and went on a ride together on each others bikes. I was pleasantly surprised by how much more power that 300CC water cooled engine on the KLX has than the XT. It seems like a good little bike. I did the trade because I would rather have a dual sport than a normal street bike. But now I have to figure out offroad tires, and if the SM models front suspension will hold up on a woodland trail. That's a topic for another time and place though. So I guess for now this is goodbye :( I am going to keep my eyes peeled for a used XT225 in the $2-$3k range... IDK that I would buy a new XT250 again since I have a bit more experience. Maybe for the wife or when I am ready to settle for reliability over speed. But for now I wanted to thank everyone who helped me build that bike and learn the great things that I learned about owning and maintaining a motorcycle. No way I could have done it without the fine men and women of this thread.
    241495137_1048894442546415_272674740632820297_n.jpg 20211021_191944.jpg 202617324_1012800726155787_6146037390384203397_n.jpg
    Beachside and jwaller like this.