Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MLW781

MLW781 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought a used 2014 XT250 today. Bought from a local dealer. Got a pretty good deal I think. Bought as is after they had done an incoming inspection but before they serviced it and replaced parts for minor issues. Got it home, changed oil and filter, recentered handlebars and straightened bent gearshift. Needs a new left rear turnsignal, on order. Has almost 7000 miles. Has good Pirelli Scorpion tires.
    This is my third try on a 250 dual sport. I'm 65 and getting my leg over most dual sport bikes is an issue. KLR250 was too tall and too hard to get my foot to the kickstarter. Bike would fall over away from kickstand with very little help.
    Honda NX250 was a sweet bike but had an SV650 rear shock that made it too tall. It would move up as I got off and make it difficult to get off. Very awkward.
    Wanted to try a KL250 Super Sherpa but people seem to want too much for them.
    The XT250 is just right. No problem getting on and off. Fuel injection is nice! Maybe this is a keeper!
  2. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My converted hitch carrier is now a very small and lightweight trailer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Red tailed hawk and nvklr like this.
  3. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a build thread for this? :hide
    beemerbum55 likes this.
  4. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Not really as it was a trailer of my design, online sourced components and my favorite welder. He said that the fender supports were the most difficult part.

The axle placement makes for a balanced load with maybe 25 pound tongue weight.

[​IMG]

If you don't have a MotoTote to use, their components are available at a fair price:

[​IMG]

21" and 17" wheels are all held very well with this tire holder design.

Sturdy fender mounts allow for a solid place to bolt the lights.

[​IMG]

Dexter 550 pound total weight torsion axles make for a soft ride for lightweight bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13" wheels and tires, positions the same width as my car tires, allow straddling of potholes and high speeds safely.
    beemerbum55 and randypower like this.
  5. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    You can get a trailer made in China for less money, or assemble a Harbor Freight trailer, but the components are far less quality. The single rail trailers I considered were way too long as they are set up for big fat street bikes. Few even had any suspension.

When I couldn't find what I wanted, I made my own.
    beemerbum55 likes this.
  6. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice trailer! Might want to think about adding a little bracket to hold a gas can. Back when I had a car, I always hated putting a gas can in the trunk. Now I have a truck. Problem solved.
  7. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Thank you!
  8. Eccentric

Eccentric Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is really interesting, ^_^
    randypower likes this.
  9. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Best part is that this modification really performs.
  10. dunno_where

dunno_where Arnhemlander

Oddometer:
    Hey, just to let you guys know:
    I had an issue with my fuel tank. Basically the fuel i left in it over the wet season (Dec to Mar) turned to slop and stuck to the inside of the tank. Looked like rust but i know it wasn't. A few youtube videos later and tank got cleaned using vinegar. Anyway long story short, cleaned it out and found the mesh fuel particle filter (in tank) was blocked. Yamaha Australia don't sell individual fuel pump assembly parts. Found a brand online called Kemso that do a WR250R/XT250 fuel pump kit which includes pump, filters, hoses and everything for a swap over. Way,way, way cheaper than a complete assembly. $40AUD
    Basically, don't be a fool and do what i did. Read the owners book abut long term storage. Might save some heart ache.

Speaking of which, I see no brands do larger tanks for the latest XT's. I was thinking for long range peace of mind fuel bladders and or Rotopax? Thoughts
    Ikeus 77287 and randypower like this.
  11. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    On longer rides, I carry a 1 gallon Rotopax on the left inner shelf of my Happy Trails side racks. It works well and tucks nicely in that otherwise-unused space between the rear wheel and the left rack.
  12. Jestus

Jestus n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought a low mileage 2015 XT250 in March and just change the oil, filter and o-rings at 600 miles a few days ago. All has been going well until today.

This evening I started the bike while it was on the side stand and, as I donned my helmet I heard a scraping noise emanating from the underside of the engine . Of course the aluminum skid plate amplifies all noises great and small, but this noise was new and sounded like something was "dry".

I stood the bike upright and the noise "dampened" and subsided. I held it upright for about 30 seconds then leaned it back on the side stand. I shut off the engine and stood the bike upright and looked into the sight glass. Slowly the oil filled up the glass to the halfway mark. All seemed okay and I rode it to a friend's house for a visit.

On the return ride the engine was started twice while upright. Frankly, I had forgotten about the noise nor did I hear anything to remind me of it. Once home I left the bike in the driveway on the sidestand. And it stood for several hours before putting it away. But before moving it to put it away I wondered if the same noise could be replicated. So, I again started the bike while on the sidestand and the dry, scraping noise was again heard.

I stood the bike up, the noise dampened/dissipated. As soon as it did, I tipped it back to the side stand and the noise came back. I did this a couple of times and it seems like a bearing or some moving part is high and dry when the bike is on the side stand and then gets washed with oil when I stand it upright.

I'm afraid that some damage may be occurring, but I do not know the cause for the suspected "dry bearing" (?) scraping noise.

Any ideas?
  13. MikedNC

MikedNC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Noob XT owner here. This has been a great thread to read. Picked up a 2013 off of Craigslist and so far it's been great.
    randypower likes this.
  14. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oil filter couldn’t have been installed backwards could it? I don’t know on this bike because I haven’t changed mine yet.
  15. bikematix

bikematix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi @Jestus,
    You are describing the sound that the engine makes exactly! My XT is a 2014 model and it makes the same noise. (It sounds like a worn dry ball bearing when you spin it fast by hand.) When you blip the throttle while the bike is idling on the sidestand, you will hear an increase in the noise. I have found that the sound only goes away when the bike is upright or when I lean it to the right. I think that it is a bearing in the transmission making the noise, because when I engage/disengage the clutch the noise also sometimes changes.

My solution to the problem? I only start the bike and warm it up when it is upright! Seriously though, my bike has done nearly 25 000 km (about 12 000 miles) and THE NOISE hasn't gotten any worse over time. So I have decided to ride it until something breaks so that I can find out what the cause of the noise is :-) The XT250 apparently has a good track record of reliability, so let's see if it's true. I hope my input will set your mind at ease.

Cheers,
    bikematix.
    Ikeus 77287 likes this.
  16. MikedNC

MikedNC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20190723_142749.jpg 20190723_142749.jpg I followed RL's lead and went tubeless on the rear. Originally I had planned to make the rims tubeless with structural silicon and 3M sealant tape but this was a better option for me right now. Thanks RL for pointing the right direction. Need to decide on a tire but I still have some time.

Attached Files:

Ikeus 77287, MitchG and manx16 like this.
  17. Jestus

Jestus n00b

Oddometer:
    Bikematix,

My long time friend, Monte, answered the call. He's been in the motorcycle business for years and was one of the first merchants I met 40 years ago, when I moved here, arriving on my '76 R90. He retired and sold his shop about two years ago and now gets to enjoy his personal bikes more regularly. It took awhile to get a response as he was on a biker's camp-out with his Shovel head.

He showed up at noon today with his stethoscope and sleuthed the mystery noise.

Clutch basket! He surmises that when the bike is on its side stand the oil drains to the left, leaving only a small puddle of oil in which the plates spin. It's enough, apparently, because these bikes have a good track record. When the bike comes upright the oil fully bathes the plates and everything quiets down. That's also why the bike must be upright to get a proper oil level reading.

Like you suggested. Start the bike while straddling it , or, as Monte suggested, put your ear plugs and helmet on before starting.

I think there are few reasons why the sound has not been so prevalent before.
    -This is the first "known by me" oil change (at 644 miles), so, I had "changed something" in the equation...
    -PO stated oil had been changed after every ride (!!?..~300 miles on it when I picked it up). But he did not say not "when" that was last done, or which oil was used.
    -Older oil could have been thicker and may have contained some "break-in swarf", both of which could have changed the "cold" viscosity of the oil, which in turn, "may" have clung to the plates more(?).
    -The new oil (Yamalube Performance Semi-synthetic 10-50) was fresh and not "aged" and probably flowed better at all temps and drained from the clutch basket more readily.
    -I heard this "new noise" soon after changing the oil and also upon starting the bike from the right side, standing above the open edge of the bash plate, while in a semi-enclosed space (more sound reflection). I usually start the bike in the open, from the left side, with the open side of the bash plate facing away from me. Or, I start it while astride, with helmet and ear plugs in. All of those factors would effect the level of apparent noise from the "lightly-lubricated" clutch plates.

Once it is upright and warmed up, there's no more "thrashing" (I erroneously referred to it as a "scraping noise", because my 68 year old brain cannot always procure the exact "idiom" required.) This accounting may have something to do with your noticing a change in the noise when engaging the clutch lever. On mine, the change is barely noticeable (minimal) when I engage the clutch, but then, I have 68 year old ears...and there are of course, many other variables, clutch wear, etc..

Thanks for your commiseration! Between us, I think we have found the issue was "Elementary!"

Happy riding! Maybe you could upload a photo or two of what it's like riding in and around Johannesburg?
    randypower likes this.
  18. fuzzydude2

fuzzydude2 CMA'er

Oddometer:
    where did you order them pegs from? Thanks
  19. manx16

manx16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is a couple of mine , one has a tricker rear , the other has been lowered for my wife and has a Tricker front. fullsizeoutput_1911.jpeg
  20. MikedNC

MikedNC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which rear tire are you running? Any downsides since the switch?