Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    "I suppose the main question I have to ask is how many of these upgrades will the next owner pay for upon resale?"

I don't think you are going to like my answer: the next owner won't be willing to pay much at all, if anything, for your upgrades. Most places one can buy a used low mile FI XT (i.e., 2013 or later) for somewhere between $2.5-3.5K and I doubt anyone would want to pay much more. Though a fine bike, and I love mine (a used 2017 with 400 miles that I paid $3800 for in 2018), the XT250 is basically a "starter bike". It isn't a state-of-the-art "trail bike", it's no mx or enduro "race" bike, it's not by any means the most off-road capable "dual sport", and it is not a "street bike". Although suspension upgrades are nice (and can get expensive), most people who would upgrade the suspension would likely prefer to choose the suspension components they prefer for their weight, type of use, etc., anyway. YMMV
    Major_Tom likes this.
  2. Major_Tom

Major_Tom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're wrong. I do like your answer. We bought it for 1k. We had to replace clutch pack because it lived its whole life in friction zone (school bike). If you're saying I can get even close to 2.5k out of it then that's fantastic
  3. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would start with handguards and a skid plate and then ride it a bit, to see what bothers her most, and then address those issues.

I put the Procycle skid plate and a set of Tusk handguards on my daughter's XT250. Both fit perfect!

I am now waiting for her to dump it and break the mirrors. Then I will install a set of Doubletakes.

I will only delve into suspension modification if it really becomes an issue. No use throwing money at a problem that doesn't exist yet.
    Major_Tom likes this.
  4. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    $1K?!? You stole it! For that price, yes, you can get your money out of it.
    Major_Tom likes this.
  5. Major_Tom

Major_Tom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dude likes me, what can I say... :D ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  6. HunterSon

HunterSon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DRC wide footpegs listed for the Serow 250 fit perfectly on my 2016 XT250 as I suspected. Don’t know why they wouldn’t just add XT250 to their list.
    #D48-02-535

D3BF61B7-A2F4-4500-94DF-E6AFBCFDE6F7.jpeg
  7. MLW781

MLW781 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought a used 2014 XT250 today. Bought from a local dealer. Got a pretty good deal I think. Bought as is after they had done an incoming inspection but before they serviced it and replaced parts for minor issues. Got it home, changed oil and filter, recentered handlebars and straightened bent gearshift. Needs a new left rear turnsignal, on order. Has almost 7000 miles. Has good Pirelli Scorpion tires.
    This is my third try on a 250 dual sport. I'm 65 and getting my leg over most dual sport bikes is an issue. KLR250 was too tall and too hard to get my foot to the kickstarter. Bike would fall over away from kickstand with very little help.
    Honda NX250 was a sweet bike but had an SV650 rear shock that made it too tall. It would move up as I got off and make it difficult to get off. Very awkward.
    Wanted to try a KL250 Super Sherpa but people seem to want too much for them.
    The XT250 is just right. No problem getting on and off. Fuel injection is nice! Maybe this is a keeper!
  8. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My converted hitch carrier is now a very small and lightweight trailer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Red tailed hawk and nvklr like this.
  9. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a build thread for this? :hide
  10. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Not really as it was a trailer of my design, online sourced components and my favorite welder. He said that the fender supports were the most difficult part.

The axle placement makes for a balanced load with maybe 25 pound tongue weight.

[​IMG]

If you don't have a MotoTote to use, their components are available at a fair price:

[​IMG]

21" and 17" wheels are all held very well with this tire holder design.

Sturdy fender mounts allow for a solid place to bolt the lights.

[​IMG]

Dexter 550 pound total weight torsion axles make for a soft ride for lightweight bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13" wheels and tires, positions the same width as my car tires, allow straddling of potholes and high speeds safely.
    randypower likes this.
  11. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    You can get a trailer made in China for less money, or assemble a Harbor Freight trailer, but the components are far less quality. The single rail trailers I considered were way too long as they are set up for big fat street bikes. Few even had any suspension.

When I couldn't find what I wanted, I made my own.
  12. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice trailer! Might want to think about adding a little bracket to hold a gas can. Back when I had a car, I always hated putting a gas can in the trunk. Now I have a truck. Problem solved.
  13. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Thank you!
  14. Eccentric

Eccentric Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is really interesting, ^_^
    randypower likes this.
  15. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Best part is that this modification really performs.
  16. dunno_where

dunno_where Arnhemlander

Oddometer:
    Hey, just to let you guys know:
    I had an issue with my fuel tank. Basically the fuel i left in it over the wet season (Dec to Mar) turned to slop and stuck to the inside of the tank. Looked like rust but i know it wasn't. A few youtube videos later and tank got cleaned using vinegar. Anyway long story short, cleaned it out and found the mesh fuel particle filter (in tank) was blocked. Yamaha Australia don't sell individual fuel pump assembly parts. Found a brand online called Kemso that do a WR250R/XT250 fuel pump kit which includes pump, filters, hoses and everything for a swap over. Way,way, way cheaper than a complete assembly. $40AUD
    Basically, don't be a fool and do what i did. Read the owners book abut long term storage. Might save some heart ache.

Speaking of which, I see no brands do larger tanks for the latest XT's. I was thinking for long range peace of mind fuel bladders and or Rotopax? Thoughts
    Ikeus 77287 and randypower like this.
  17. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    On longer rides, I carry a 1 gallon Rotopax on the left inner shelf of my Happy Trails side racks. It works well and tucks nicely in that otherwise-unused space between the rear wheel and the left rack.
  18. Jestus

Jestus n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought a low mileage 2015 XT250 in March and just change the oil, filter and o-rings at 600 miles a few days ago. All has been going well until today.

This evening I started the bike while it was on the side stand and, as I donned my helmet I heard a scraping noise emanating from the underside of the engine . Of course the aluminum skid plate amplifies all noises great and small, but this noise was new and sounded like something was "dry".

I stood the bike upright and the noise "dampened" and subsided. I held it upright for about 30 seconds then leaned it back on the side stand. I shut off the engine and stood the bike upright and looked into the sight glass. Slowly the oil filled up the glass to the halfway mark. All seemed okay and I rode it to a friend's house for a visit.

On the return ride the engine was started twice while upright. Frankly, I had forgotten about the noise nor did I hear anything to remind me of it. Once home I left the bike in the driveway on the sidestand. And it stood for several hours before putting it away. But before moving it to put it away I wondered if the same noise could be replicated. So, I again started the bike while on the sidestand and the dry, scraping noise was again heard.

I stood the bike up, the noise dampened/dissipated. As soon as it did, I tipped it back to the side stand and the noise came back. I did this a couple of times and it seems like a bearing or some moving part is high and dry when the bike is on the side stand and then gets washed with oil when I stand it upright.

I'm afraid that some damage may be occurring, but I do not know the cause for the suspected "dry bearing" (?) scraping noise.

Any ideas?
  19. MikedNC

MikedNC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Noob XT owner here. This has been a great thread to read. Picked up a 2013 off of Craigslist and so far it's been great.
    randypower likes this.
  20. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oil filter couldn’t have been installed backwards could it? I don’t know on this bike because I haven’t changed mine yet.