Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. manx16

manx16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    no downside , works great . Tire is a Shinko Trail Pro F255 Radial 120-90/18 . It has amazing traction at 12psi , but is somewhat scary on the street at that pressure. If you are doing much pavement I would not recommend it , compound is very soft. Shinko 700 130-80 would be a good dual purpose that is available in tubeless.
  2. MikedNC

MikedNC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks much! I'll check it out.
  3. MitchG

MitchG Iron Collector

Oddometer:
    Any details on this swap? Part#'s, cost, vendor? New to modifying the XT250, but this is first on my agenda(rear).
    Ikeus 77287 likes this.
  4. MikedNC

MikedNC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The OP gave the website and part# in this thread, Webike Japan is the website. The cost was around $350 or so with shipping. I chose the cheapest shipping option by sea freight but it still got here amazingly fast. Very good experience dealing with webike.
    Ikeus 77287 likes this.
  5. MitchG

MitchG Iron Collector

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Positive feedback on the vendor is reassuring.
    Ikeus 77287 likes this.
  6. waverunner800

waverunner800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had the same issue here in Texas, and it did look like rust. Soaked the tank in vinegar overnight, and it cleaned it out quite well. Then I poured in half a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil, sloshed it around, and let it sit while I waited on Fedex to deliver the new pump/regulator from Quantum Fuel. $79.95, free shipping if you can wait I think (I couldn't--was heading for Colorado in four days so paid for next day air). Getting the old pump out can be a challenge, but can be done. It's much cheaper than the $327 for the whole assembly. Of course, now I wonder if maybe the strainer was just plugged, and the pump is OK. The Quantum Fuel kit came with three strainers. I may put one of those on, and try it. Then I have a spare...my WR250R takes the same pump.
    randypower likes this.
  7. MikedNC

MikedNC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Couple of pics with new rim and tire fitted.

Attached Files:

randypower and manx16 like this.
  8. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These are pretty good little bikes, we rode our 2013 EFI model with stock gearing, 2-UP here! IMG_1493.JPG Not saying it was easy, there was some clutch slipping going on in a few places and the EFI was running a little rich for some reason, but it made it!
  9. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's actually very good to know. I rode my 09 to 12,000 in Mexico a couple of years ago and it was way rich but always started right back up if I let off the throttle. (It wouldn't idle.)

Last year I moved up to a 2013 to have FI in preparation for the CDR next Summer and I've been wondering how the FI is going to do at altitude.

Huge kudos to your lady for riding on the back of that seat for so long! Yikes.

Did you really have to slip the clutch a lot? More than in first gear and maybe second?
  10. GrumpyStuart

GrumpyStuart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At 22,000 km the XT decided to start squeaking again, and this time I decided to fix the damaged parts rather than just throw grease at it. The bushing and collar at the bottom of the shock have had problems since about 5,000 km, not sure why, as the other 2 bushings and collars look like they just came off the assembly line. I pulled the 3 bolts out of the lower shock linkage and pushed out the damaged bushing and collar by hand. After cleaning the bushing hole in the linkage with a round brush, I knocked in a new bushing with a socket, it fits tight, as it should. Put in 2 new end seals, loaded it all up with grease and slid the collar in, everything was moving nice, so back out to the bike, put the linkage in place, and install the 3 bolts. About 40 minutes all told, with a few breaks because I am lazy.

Picture is taken just before putting the linkage back in the bike. Damaged parts are on the left. bushing.jpg
    randypower likes this.
  11. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic small tourer!!!
    upload_2019-8-30_15-35-35.jpeg
  12. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you really have to slip the clutch a lot? More than in first gear and maybe second?[/QUOTE]

Actually I did have to slip it in 1st on a couple of the steeper switchbacks, probably 3 or 4 times. If it wasn't running a little rich I may not have had to slip it. But remember I was 2-up and stock gearing, that's quite a load for that little bike. Solo should be doable without slipping because even if you are rich you could get a better run at it and rev it out a little more, gearing it down would help a lot. At the time I had trouble getting sprockets and twice they got the old XT 520 counter sprocket when I needed the newer 428 so I went with stock gearing I would suggest gearing down up there.
    I'm not sure why it was a little rich but I did haul it from 2000' to 10,000' and started riding no idling or unhooking the battery or anything like that. I hear maybe you should start and let it idle without touching the throttle when you first get there. I had other people say unhook the battery. It wasn't horribly rich but I wasn't expecting it to be rich at all. I have since brought other EFI bikes there and only one other acted the same or worse actually and I never reset or idle them when I get there.
    randypower likes this.
  13. Franconian

Franconian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Recently picked up a 2008 model and started fixing it to get it registered. Main issue is the speedo/dashboard which does not work. Original costs from USD $250. How hard would it be to connect a cheap Chinese aftermarket speedometer? Ignition key is very hard to turn as well, any aftermarket locks which fit? I still have a spare one from my old XT225 which might work?

Attached Files:

14. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fun ride with my son yesterday. This was just before he dumped it and filled the air box with nice creek water. With help from my ride friends... we pulled the seat, upended the bike and then loosened the air box screws to drain.

I’m embarrassed to say that I could not find the tool kit. Where is it on this bike. We ended up getting it running without pulling the plug... but I should know my bikes better and need to work on my tool kit. I just assumed it was under the seat or side panel.

main question is where are y’all ordering your air filters? My usual places seem to only have the K&N and I think I’ll stick with stock. Any place that doesn’t charge $15 shipping?? I usually order other needed items from the likes of Rocky Mtn to get the free shipping. I’ll need to replace my blinkers soon as my son has been pretty rough with them and they are cracked up. Think I’m also gonna lower the gearing a bit as well as its a bit high for the stuff we ride in the Ozarks. Perhaps lower the front one tooth? BA039B20-0397-4FAA-A9F7-998C86FDA37B.jpeg 39DA9118-D562-463C-A97A-F395502AE1BF.jpeg
  15. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A quick google and found where the kit is... up front under tank... unusual spot. May have to do tip to replace the nut as well.

now to find and order an air filter.. or pick one up from a local dealer but doubt its a common part.
  16. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Air filters and other parts: https://procycle.us/bikepages/xt250.html
  17. mhrutter

mhrutter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20191004_121047.jpg Nice day for a ride in Boone area. Rich Mountain Road on the way to Tennessee, the Snake, US 58, and back down to Todd. Picked up a 2019 XT last week, put about 140 miles on it today gravel and great curvy blacktop. So far I put on Barkbusters, risers, bash plate, footpegs and tank bag. Front end was bouncing on the gravel, need to do something about that. Rear shock seemed to do ok.
    Ikeus 77287 and fuzzydude2 like this.
  18. 4jranch

4jranch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to modify my wife's XT250 so she can use electric gear this winter. We tried last winter and it didn't work. Ended up discharging the battery almost completely.
    I have heard that a different stator with more charging capacity can be substituted for the stock stator.
    Does anyone have experience with this and can give me advice.

Thanks
  19. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to wonder if you might find more efficient heated gear. I have an Aerostich heated vest that draws 45 watts, which keeps my torso very warm down to freezing temperatures.

You are right though, without keeping the RPMs high, heated gear draws too much power. I switched to LED head and tail light to reduce consumption.
  20. 4jranch

4jranch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have found the same idea about changing the headlight.
    Nice article about switching the head light.

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-prepping/heated-gear-small-dual-sport/

I guess I could always just disconnect the head light when the gear is in use.

Still more "juice would also be welcome". If the stator can be changed that might be a good choice.