Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The white spooge must be dried tire lube. It takes a whole lot of lube to do the mousse right. Younger knuckles than mine too. Dealer install.
  2. bmw318tech

bmw318tech Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would hesitate to run a mousse in a true dual sport environment. Any high speed road or even dirt roads will deteriorate the mousse quickly. If you do use the mousse in a higher speed situation you may end up replacing the mousse every tire change. Which will get expensive at USD $100-150 a pop. I use mousse but in a race setting were flats will cost the race.
  3. Ikeus 77287

Ikeus 77287 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would you give us the contact site for Japanese accessories for the XT250
  4. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    https://japan.webike.net/

There are a number of XT250 variants. It pays to look at all of them. The inventory changes over time.
  5. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    As far as highways speeds, my only use of the mousse was connecting trails with a top speed of maybe 45 mph. Quite a different riding attitude on the highway from my Ducati. :-)
  6. Ikeus 77287

Ikeus 77287 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is the product name and which outlet did you use??
  7. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
  8. Ikeus 77287

Ikeus 77287 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This; searching through a unrecognizable language catalog looking for obscure parts., Really tests ones patience!
    I found plenty of interesting parts I might check out later. Thing is, how does one get beyond looking at a part. then finding information to it. And to order?
    This causes my impatience with being unable to find an item to become imaginative. Google aluminum disks I found Metal Remnants inc. (I am sure there's plenty of other suppliers. Looking at 1/4" X 5" disks.. Yes; I would need to bore out the inner diameter and shape the edges. For 2 left and right sides made from 6060 or 5052 aluminum come to $8.50.
    Worth considering.
  9. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Chrome has a translate site option. Works great. A Yen is about a penny.
  11. bmw111

bmw111 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have experience with any of the rear racks for the XT250? I'm going to get one for my 2013 and am leaning toward the Nomadic -- not only because it's the least expensive :-) but because I like the round tubes, nothing to chafe or cut straps. I have a couple Penguin-type boxes I may play around mounting or a couple soft bags as well.
  12. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Happy Trails and it's pretty fantastic. Very strong, durable, and looks great.
  13. bmw111

bmw111 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. I saw on their site the rear rack requires one to buy the grab handles as well. Do you have the grab handles and are they necessary?
  14. randypower

Oddometer:
    I bought the side racks too... Can't remember if it's the SL or SU rack... Whichever is the stronger of the two. I got the package with Givi side bags which have worked out well. I also got the little "shelf" that I turned inward on the left side at the bottom. I secure a 1-gallon Rotopax in there.

If it helps, I can post some pictures tomorrow night.
  15. mhrutter

mhrutter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got the SU racks, interested in seeing pictures of your setup.
  16. randypower

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple of quick shots. I don't have the Givi bags on, obviously. The tail bag is what I carry on dirt day rides. Larger than ideal but that's not the rack's fault. The inner shelf can be seen in one photo. I maneuver the Rotopax up inside there and put a 2"-wide Velcro strap around it and the left rack to secure it to the rack. The entire rack system is super solid. It's now 3 years old and has no sign of rust or any problems.
    Let me know if you'd like to see something else in particular.

IMG_20191107_165806222.jpg IMG_20191107_165820303.jpg IMG_20191107_165840298.jpg
  17. bmw111

bmw111 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice. Thanks for posting your setup.
    randypower likes this.
  18. randypower

Oddometer:
    Let us know what you end up getting and post pictures.
  19. bmw111

bmw111 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just looked outside and it's snowing. First of the season. No real hurry, just doing the research for now and will give me something to tinker with in the basement when there's a couple feet on the ground. If I get something different I'll report.
    randypower likes this.
  20. bmw111

bmw111 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I didn't wait long. Ha. Ordered the PMR rear rack. Did a lot of research and seems the flat plate style is easiest for mounting the Penguin/Otter type cases I have. Once I get things mounted I'll take a few pics.
    randypower likes this.