1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    RL, thanks again for all your work on that table, but why did you knock down the mpg for the XT250 from 71 to 64.1? You can be sure that anybody who gets 71 mpg on a WR250R is going to get more than that on an XT. I know I do (though maybe not for the first thousand miles).
  2. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The mileages with an * are from magazine reviews. I always take the lowest MPG because I don't trust what manufacturers say. As we all know though, it is the right hand and where we are riding that determine the real MPG we get.

The way I see it is that we all need to plan on gas every 130 miles to be safe.
  3. Lonnie Wrights

Lonnie Wrights Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I have been off motorcycles for a while but picked up a 2011 XT 250, rode it this weekend in WV and theres a few things I want to change, I want to go with wider foot peg's, new and better shifter lever and brake lever. So far I have not found much that fits my bike so where is the best place to look and does this bike parts cross over with any other Yamaha's.
  4. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
  5. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only thing I can help with:

[​IMG]

I wouldn't mind a more robust shift and brake lever, either.

jb
  6. Madworld

Madworld n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello! Brand new, and happy to be here. I have a 2017 XT250, I have had it for about 2 years and love it. I want to put on the FMF powercore 4, but I heard of a fender melting issue. I'm wondering if anyones got any work around or advice?
  7. Lonnie Wrights

Lonnie Wrights Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked these out, how are yours holding up.
  8. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big improvement over stock.
    More comfortable when standing.
    Haven't broken... :clap

jb
    Lonnie Wrights likes this.
  9. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought a used bike with the FMF and the fender had melted. I'm pretty sure the PO had removed the spark arrestor though.
    Madworld likes this.
  10. millman84

millman84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that FMF is not the only game in town. They make good stuff, but don't be afraid to look around if you are in the market.

I have a 13" tri-oval from Delkevic. It fit well, the mid pipe is a really good fit to the bike. No melted plastics. They have other options available and spark arresters can be had tor some of their cans.

https://delkevic.com/mufflers-slip-on/yamaha/2016-models/xt250/
    Madworld likes this.
  11. randypower

Oddometer:
    Oh can you tell me more about your Delkevic? How is the sound level compared to stock?
  12. millman84

Oddometer:
    It is louder than stock but I don't feel that it is to harsh sounding. At idle it has a nice solid thump. It settles down once you get going and does not sound to loud but I am normally the one on top of it so I can't really give you a good by-stander report.

The mid pipe (connector between header and can) is stainless and has discolored from the heat but that is to be expected. The can itself is a polished stainless and has not discolored much at all. It all fit the bike well until I got a knobbier tire in the back, I had to add some washers to the mount to move the can out away from the tire.

If I get time and good weather I may try to put a video together so you can get an idea of what it sounds like.
    randypower likes this.
  13. randypower

Oddometer:
    Thank you. A video and pictures would be awesome.

I ordered the 18" carbon fiber which is probably a week away. I'm sure it will be huge but I hate noise, so I'm going for maximum sound reduction. Hopefully it fits ok. It will be mostly hidden from view behind the Happy Trails side case but I worry a little about it being too close to the tire. They have different bracket sizes so that might help dial in the right position on the bike.
  14. millman84

Oddometer:
    I got time and sunshine.
    Here are some dirty pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The tire does clear even under full compression.
    [​IMG]

The 18" may be a little long for the little XT. It should have a deeper sound than the 13" maybe not to much quieter. If being quiet is your main goal stick with the stock one, every other option is going to be louder.
    randypower likes this.
  15. Madworld

Madworld n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips I appreciate it.
  16. Madworld

Madworld n00b

Oddometer:
    Hows the performance and sound of the muffler? A bit beefier?
  17. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And here I am figuring how to make my XT250 quieter. If I could make it silent, I would immediately do so.

Just as LOUD Harley owners piss off the general public, loud trail bikes piss off other trail users.

In the old days we added a short length of inner tube to the end of the exhaust of our enduro bikes to make them quieter. I will be experimenting with this concept again.

Maybe a short length of silicone coolant hose added to the tip of the exhaust, pointed toward the ground.

https://lifeatlean.com/how-to-reduce-motorcycle-noise/

http://archive.sharetrails.org/node/7524

https://www.bikersrights.com/how-to-make-motorcycle-exhaust-quieter/
    AZ Air Hd, MNimum and JB44 like this.
  18. cnydreamr

cnydreamr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had about 6 inches of high pressure, temperature heater hose attached b but find a copper 45degree elbow is just as effective
    RL Lemke likes this.
  19. Slickrick

Slickrick Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do these need to be repacked? Could not find any info on website.
    Thanks
  20. millman84

Oddometer:
    The performance is a little better but not a major improvement. If paired with airbox and fueling mods you will see a better improvement. It is louder than stock but any after market muffler will be louder.

The general fitting instructions on their website say it will need to be repacked.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x86f82f5sr21my5/Silencer Fitting Instruction General.pdf?dl=0