1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Madworld

Madworld n00b

Oddometer:
    That looks a ton better! I tried to do something similar, the led I ended up getting wasnt a great fit.
    Know where I can find what you used?
  2. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Nevermind what he used to clean up that tail, I wish I had the knowledge to make the comparison photoshop he created!! :D

He mentions 12oclock in his post

http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=28
    Madworld likes this.
  3. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    MNimum and Madworld like this.
  4. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Here are two new photos of how I adapted the 12 O'clock LED tail light to my XT250. Removing all that 1970s plastic and the huge power draw for old bulbs really updates the bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rotating the plate vertical keeps the bike a lot cleaner. It is securely mounted to the sub-frame using the mount points. Illuminated by the 12 O'clock LED light clear portion, this is compliant with DOT requirements.
    randypower likes this.
  5. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BarryB, JB44 and Rusty Rocket like this.
  6. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Switching the entire headlight with LED has saved 35 watts and offered a reliable & well made very bright headlight. LED = 20 watts & Halogen = 55 watts.

[​IMG]

Some choose to install just a LED bulb, which has numerous compromises. This complete assembly is a snap to install, plug & play.

[​IMG]

Low Beam: 20W, 3,600 Lumens
    High Beam: 30W, 4,500 Lumens
    Color Temperature: 6,500k
    CREE LED Chips
    DOT & SAE Approved
    CE, RoHS, ISO9002, IP67

https://www.jnsengineering.com/product/xt250-led-headlight/
    Elektrix and JB44 like this.
  7. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you worry at all about overloading the reg/rec? Now it will have to dissipate a lot more heat from the added wattage it has to handle.
  8. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    :dunno He saved 35W....how is that going to overload???
  9. randypower

Oddometer:
    Whatever electricity the stator produces that is not consumed by lights, dash, FI, battery, etc gets turned into heat by the regulator. This is how it "regulates" voltage down to the right level. It will only be able to handle a certain amount, can eventually overheat and fail. I don't know what the rating is for our XTs' regulator, though.
  10. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    I would have to assume that Yamaha has the headlight, and probably other lighting, on a separate AC generation circuit with a voltage regulator. If so, there would be a bit of extra wattage to deal with. In exchange, I could tap into that circuit to add power to added lighting, if I wanted to be more conspicuous or ride at night. 35 watts available for added LED lighting would offer a LOT of added lighting.
  11. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    All the other DC current functions will be on a separate circuit, which does turn the extra watts into heat. But only once the battery is fully charged.

I would have to assume the heat sink is capable of displacing a lot of heat, because a long road ride will charge the battery fully, then all the rest of the excess wattage needs to be dealt with as heat.
  12. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    What do I get with the switch to LED lighting?

Bright, daylight color, durable and long lasting lighting. The small tail light is waterproof, out of the way, bright and very long lasting.

The replacement headlight offers far superior evening and night vision, AND makes the bike far more conspicuous to oncoming traffic. Safer.

My XT250 has lighting from this century, instead of last century.
    Elektrix likes this.
  13. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    The service manual indicates:

AC magneto producing 14v and 235 watts.
    Rectifier/Regulator with capacity of 25 amps. 25 x 14 = 350 watts.
    randypower likes this.
  14. randypower

Oddometer:
    That's awesome -- if I understand that correctly, there is no chance that the regulator would be overwhelmed. Excellent info, thank you.
  15. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    I figured a modern dual circuit generation system, but Yamaha appears to have an old school single AC generation system. So yes, 235 watts total generation capacity at 14 volts. No mention of how RPM affects generation of amps in the service manual.

With total of only 235 watts, any addition of electric use to the bike challenges the AC magneto. I have added a GPS, which can't be much of a draw.

I would like to add a heated vest if riding in the winter, a 45 watt draw, which may overwhelm the capability of the magneto. Cutting back on every watt of lighting demand could solve the issue. I have yet to change to all LED signals.
  16. millman84

millman84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At 6,500K, I would worry that your light will be to blue. It does not look to bad in the pic but I know cameras have problems getting headlight color right. I prefer 5,000k to 6,000k for color temperature, closer to white. Halogen is normally around 3,400k to 4,300k.

That freed up wattage can be used for heated gear.

Edit: Dual generation circuit systems are not that new an idea. A DR650 has two generation circuits. One for ignition and a separate one for lights/battery. I have heard that you can run one without a battery if you can get it to start.
  17. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    6,500k in LED lighting for vehicles seems to be what I would consider 5,500k to 6,000k in LED residential lighting. Daylight, and not blue. For my eyes anything below 4,000k looks yellow. All halogen lights in auto use look yellowish. Not the fog light yellow but yellowish all the same.

The 6,000k Clearwater uses and the 6,500k for this replacement light both appear to be sunlight color, that is bright and clear white light. None of the blueish squid color the tuners like to add.

I will say that with HID the best color for my eye was 4,300k. The LED residential bulbs I purchase have to be a minimum of 4,000k.

I'll take a photo with my 1' sensor Sony camera, known for accurate color.
  18. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Sony RX100 1" sensor, unaltered image.

Note: DOT and SAE lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. randypower

Oddometer:
    What's the white balance set to for those shots?
  20. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Best I can do:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    randypower likes this.