Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    For those interested in the JNS headlight but are concerned about color spectrum or what to do with the extra wattage being shunted through the regulator. Forget about it, and buy one. I'm going into my third season on mine. The color is perfect for every day use. I mounted mine on my DRZ which is known to have a weak regulator. So to scrub off the extra wattage, I mounted two 3" Cree fog lights, which I run pretty much continuous. I commute daily, pre dawn, through a deer and turkey infested area. I see deer every morning. It's now a total night blaster, and it's given me an extra level of confidence to get to work without white knuckling the grips all the way in.
    SAM_3868.JPG
    manx16 and randypower like this.
  2. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks -- 5700 & 5850 is definitely far from yellow.

I imagine it looks good. I've always been a fan of the HID color temperatures and disliked the LED "extremes" toward blue. I really don't want night lights to look like daytime (color temperature of the sun), but I've given up on that at this point.

I do have an LED headlight bulb (fancy one with fan, and it does require extra space, as RL pointed out) and two switched knockoff accessory lights mounted. Together, they do a pretty good job of making me more visible in daytime and lighting up the road and roadsides at night.
  3. Milano.B

Milano.B Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regarding LED headlamp, I opt for a 'Retrofit' LED headlamp on my new to me 2017 Garage Queen purchased at 83 miles.
    Notice the OEM Halogen source of light is equidistant to the LED chip (minimizing glare)

IMG_5555 (3).jpg

Everything is All LED on the bike now. This is not the best pic as I was testing the windshield.

IMG_5653 (2).JPG

Power consumption will be added gradually as needed.
    There will be more mods to get her ready for an expedition to the White Rim Trail (WRT) with Ultra Light gear.
    Supposed to be this May but Covid-19 shut down the trail.
    Not complaining as this will give me more time to get her ready for 2021 WRT

IMG_5654 (2).JPG
    randypower likes this.
  4. Elektrix

Elektrix Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just adding another vote for the JNS Engineering headlight. It’s truly excellent and a super easy installation!
    reasonable and manx16 like this.
  5. DFZimmer

DFZimmer n00b

Oddometer:
    Let me 3rd that! JNS engineering headlight is a great upgrade.
    reasonable likes this.
  6. Dmorcos

Dmorcos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 that I bought used a couple of years ago. I have put more than 3000 mile on it since then but have also had a persistent problem since then that I am seeking help for.
    When riding trails and dirt roads the bike runs without issue.
    When on the highway, the bike at the higher end of the revs acts like it misses and my body goes forward briefly when it happens. This happens only in the upper gears. This has been there since I purchased the bike and has not gone away.
    Last week after a long day in the woods, on the way back home the bike started doing the same but more often and at lower gears. Fast forward a few days and I rode the bike in the yard without issue. Bike also starts without any issues.
    Spark plug has been replace a couple of months ago.
    What should I be looking at?
  7. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would have to hear it to decide between fueling and ignition.

Carb or coil.
  8. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Replace your air filter
  9. Rider68

Rider68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi folks. Late to the game so I apologize if this has been discussed. I'm 6'3" with a 35" inseam and for mostly price reasons, the WR250R is out of my range. I'm looking at maybe a used XT250. I like everything about it except it's main selling point - the low seat height. This does however give me an opportunity to get it restuffed and raised quite a bit without ruining the profile. I'd probably find some lowered foot pegs too (recommendations?).

1) Does anyone know the stock seat to peg distance?
    2) How does the stock seating position feel for a tall rider?
    3) Do after market (non-custom) seats exist that raise it several inches, or assist with sitting back a bit?
    4) For comparison sake, anyone happen to know the seat-to-peg distance on the WR250R?
  10. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm similar in size, but have only recently picked an XT up. I'll be following what answers you get. It does feel small to me, but not unreasonable. I do hope there is a taller seat and lower pegs available, but I haven't found any off the shelf solutions. One site you can look at that might show you the difference between the two is http://cycle-ergo.com/
  11. ridewv

ridewv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cloudsplitter may respond he’s 6’-8”. IIRC he has a sheepskin on top of the stock seat. You may inquire with Seat Concepts if theirs is taller because they offer a seat kit (reshaped foam and cover). I know it’s wider.
  12. Rider68

Rider68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since you are tall(?), can I ask why you honed in on the XT250 instead of something else? I'm not sure my own reasons are valid!
  13. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got it so I could ride with my daughter and she liked it. But I ride it sometimes just for fun. I normally ride my sort of CB500X (long story).
  14. beemerbum55

beemerbum55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember back in the day we stuck with the Dunlop K70 Trials tire on my 1965 Yamaha 80 and my 1969 Hodaka Ace 100 as well. Worked well enough.
  15. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    The K70 is not really a trials tire, just an old school general tire from a time when many roads were not paved.
    I used them on my 1969 Daytona which I dual sported a lot and they were better then expected in the dirt.
    Soft sidewall, soft rubber, tall tire, light weight, but not a bad all around tire I thought.
    They were original equipment on all Triumphs back in the day.
  16. Rider68

Rider68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi. Can I ask how tall you are? I have no business wanting a XT250 being 6' 3", but I really like everything about it except the low seat-to-peg distance. How is the seat now?
    -Robert

17. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    6' 2" 34" inseam. The flat seat provides plenty of seating options. That said, I only use this bike for trail riding. I have another bike for street riding.
    Rider68 likes this.
  18. MX659

MX659 n00b

Oddometer:
    I've always loved the simplicity of the XT.....the lack of radiators, twin cams, water pumps is more of an advantage to me than a hindrance. I'm a competitive Motocross racer so if I want performance I have that option...I'm equally happy plotting along down a trail. I've been trying to convince myself I can fit on an XT....I'm 6'1 about 210. I talked my dad into getting one for himself and he loves it, he's 5'8 and 145lbs soaking wet. When he got it he left it with me to get it all decked out. I went whole hog on it and gave it the adventure bike treatment which only made me want one for myself even more. I don't mind the seat height but the peg to seat distance is pretty cramped for me. I'm thinking if I could just get a seat with another couple inches of padding or possibly a 1inch drop bracket for the pegs it may just suffice. Heres a video of it pretty much completed the day it went back to Dad. Also ordered him a fender bag and a bunch of emergency trail items(small tire irons, patches, assortment of nuts and bolts, etc).
    Skooter and beemerbum55 like this.
  19. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    I'm 6' 2" and now 190 and with the flat Renazco seat, there is plenty of room. http://www.renazco.com

[​IMG]
  20. Rider68

Rider68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to have to do that. What did it cost you?

I don't have an XT250 yet but it has the magic combination I like most in a small motor - air cooled and EFI. There aren't many substitutes.