Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    2020 is the last year for the XT250.

Renazco price is:

$350 full vinyl seat (various color choices)
    $375 suede/vinyl seat (various color choices)
    $400 full suede seat (limited color choices)
    $40 shipping cost
    MX659 likes this.
  2. BillaBongo

BillaBongo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the video. Very similar to my set up. Interesting that you got the Flatland racing skid plate to fit directly - I had to re-drill the bottom holes. The Happy Trails racks and panniers are super solid - already drop-tested with barely a mark; and their customer service is great. The 1 US gal Rotopax tank is a good addition on longer trails.
    I recommend the Tutoro oiler which makes chain adjustment a rare event. Easy installation on the HT rack frame with a P-clip, making it very well protected. Just need to turn off the oiler if you trailer the bike, or you get a pool of oil on the deck.
    Just ordered the JNS headlight to fit during winter down here for next season. The screen looks nice, will check that out.

It's real a shame that the XT's days are numbered. ABS regs are killing this (and similarly the DR650) down here. Kawasaki have an air cooled 230 XT look-alike announced, albeit with a tall seat. So those undecided, or mildly vertically challenged, get one now!
    MX659 likes this.
  3. OldFungus

OldFungus n00b

Oddometer:
    Milano.B sorry if this was already answered but where'd you get that trick power station that looks designed for the xt?
  4. Milano.B

Milano.B Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is 'Home Made' with some elbow grease.
    Very easy to fabricate with a left over piece of Alu loading ramp.
    Waterproof switch from Highway Dirt Bike.
    12v LED (need to put additional resistor as it would be too bright otherwise)

IMG_6417 (2).JPG
    randypower likes this.
  5. dpep1

dpep1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried or would it be possible to replace the headlight and cowl with either a TW200 or maybe an XT225 headlight and cowl? I'm still waiting on the arrival of my 250 to the dealership so I don't have any hands on yet, but can't help planning my future mods.

It appears the XT250 headlight cowl is also one piece that holds the front fender, but does the lower fender portion have its own attachment points to the forks? Making it possible to cut off the upper cowl and remove the headlight replacing it with a T dub? How similar are the 225 assemblies?

I prefer the classic look of a square headlight so I'm just brainstorming.

Thanks in advance, can't wait to get out on mine!
  6. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The headlight cowling is dependent on the front fender, not the other way around. You can remove the cowl without affecting the stability of the fender.

That exposes wiring and the back of the dash display, but you'll be changing things around there and can figure out what to do. Sorry I can't comment on the compatibility questions, other than I seriously doubt the TW or XT225 are a drop-in replacement. You will need to be creative.

edit: Be sure to post pictures of mods
  7. dpep1

dpep1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thank you for the reply. I've already got some great info from the forum so I'm excited to contribute. I didn't expect it to be a walk in the park, but thats no fun anyway, right?! That's great news about the fender, the blinkers look like the same part so I guess the biggest unknown right now is the fork tube diameter and the fork width difference. I think these will play most into how silly or not it will look.
    Any of my version of necessary bracket "fabrication" I hope can be hidden by the cowl...:hide
    randypower likes this.
  8. OldFungus

OldFungus n00b

Oddometer:
    Dpep, that reminds me of the "Xtreme 250" on high consumptions website, they fitted an Acerbis Elba 2 on an XT and it looks sharp. If I was smart I could post a pic of it here but maybe someone will help us out
  9. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    http://deuscustoms.com/bikes/model/xtreme-250/

https://hiconsumption.com/yamaha-xt250-the-xtreme-250-by-deus-ex-machina/

https://www.acquiremag.com/motorcycles/deus-yamaha-xtreme-250

The front 21″ wheel was replaced with a 19″ unit to run a more conventional flat track 19/18 set up and then wrapped in Dunlop K180 Tyres.

The standard top clamp was ditched for a custom CNC billet piece from Ricci Engineering to accommodate the beefier Renthal Fat Bar.

Fresh plastic from Acerbis in the way of a supermoto front fender and Elba headlight dressed up the front nicely.

[​IMG]
    HunterSon, beemerbum55 and randypower like this.
  10. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
  11. NicKel78

NicKel78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The FI XT uses an excitation current from the ECU just like an automobile so this is not true for those models.

Don't have a manual for pre FI so can't say about those but most likely also using excitation current from the regulator.
  12. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heck I thought round headlights were classic and rectangle ones modern?
  13. Bruce1

Bruce1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    03335F65-4205-415F-8376-D52B6C12E7E1.jpeg Hey gents. Just finished pimping out my 2009 XT. Full on Cogent designed suspension, full LED lighting, etc. Any questions, please ask. One thing I would like to say is how profoundly better the Cogent suspension mods have made this bike. 80 kph on gravel is now a snooze. It has yet to encounter anything that has upset it. Honestly, in 5 years of riding and uncountable motorcycles I have yet to ride anything that comes close to this. Todd at Cogent is a freaking genius.
    randypower and RL Lemke like this.
  14. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Until you have experienced well set up suspension, you can't understand. It is similar to reading about riding a rollercoaster and actually riding a rollercoaster. Yes, it does cost money to get suspension right. There is no free lunch.
  15. Bruce1

Bruce1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You hit the nail on the head. To all of those out there on the fence regarding suspension my message is to stop farting around and just do it. Todd is a fantastic merchant and deserves as much business as he can deal with. Suspension and tires first. Everything else can and should follow.
  16. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Timely as I was just looking into replacing the rear shocks. What is involved dealing with Cogent? Buy new shocks and they send new fork springs? Or would I have to take my suspension off and send it to them?

Just went to Cogent's site, was hoping for something less expensive than $1,100.

What specifically did you order? If I did I'd give them my 185# weight, no passenger, and allow for luggage up to 50#. I hate to have them allow for my 125# passenger who seldom rides with me as she sometimes rides it herself and then it'd be too stiff. Unless the shock has a quick change preload adjuster to go back and forth between solo and with passenger.
  17. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish I had seen this a few months ago before a big trip with lots of dirt and highway miles ahead that I'm starting in 10 days. I upgraded my rear spring years ago (I'm 215 lbs) and I'm overall content with the suspension. I gotta stick with what I have this time around.
  18. Bruce1

Bruce1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Randy and Milo.
    There is no doubt these mods are “expensive”. I will say you get what you pay for. Disappointment will not be part of this process so, again, I will suggest you do it. This is what you should do:
    Call Cogent and talk to Todd directly. He will guide you through the process of designing a system for your needs exclusively. He is very approachable and thorough in this. I purchased the “full meal deal” which included custom valved ddc’s and new springs up front and a new rebuildable shock with Ohlins spring out back. Installation took about 1 1/2 hrs in my garage with normal tools. I did get the ddc installation tool. Well worth the few extra bucks. He doesn’t rebuild your existing shock. It’s a budget piece not worth the effort. A different spring on the OEM shock is pretty well useless compared to a proper modern shock and spring setup.
    randypower likes this.
  19. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK LOL another $50 for the tool.

Saw it mentioned shipping included if ordered on the internet, still so if you call them?

If I order I'll mention you sold it for them Bruce. :)
  20. NicKel78

NicKel78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with Bruce. I called and talked to Todd two weeks ago. Started with the forks and got the kit installed this past Saturday. The install is very straightforward. Only problem I had with the whole install was the test ride. The rear (stock) shock is harsh as f@ck. Always was but I didn’t realize it was that bad until the front worked right. I thought half of what I feel in the back now was coming from the front previously. Will get the Cogent rear in a few months, just saving for it.

Todd is incredibly knowledgeable and eager to share that knowledge in a friendly and enlightening way. I learned a lot talking with him. I highly recommend giving him a call. Yes it is expensive but worthwhile and you don’t have to do front and rear at the same time. Space it out if needed. That’s what I am doing and I WILL be doing business with them again.
    Bruce1 likes this.