1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NicKel78

NicKel78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Call and talk to Todd to get lined out. Then order online. The rear has a full worksheet worth of information to submit that Todd can help get you settled on.
  2. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used a cheap plastic rifle case to send my forks into Cogent.

[​IMG]
  3. Bruce1

Bruce1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m in Canada. I don’t know anything about free shipping but I will say it again. Do NOT just order a standard setup over the internet. The whole idea of ordering this suspension set up is to chat with a magician who will take that information from you and build you magic that relates very specifically to how you use your ride. Pay the shipping. It’s not THAT much more in the scheme of things. Just my opinion. I’m sorry if I come across a bit tough on this but I have experienced the process and I know it works.
  4. Bruce1

Bruce1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One other thing. I got my own fork oil and did not have to pay for a fork service as I did the work myself. If you buy both ends of the bike I bet he might just throw in the tool gratis. (Don’t quote me on that though)
  5. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bruce and RL. I am considering ordering the rear shock for now to see how much that helps. On a ride yesterday over some rough dirt/rock roads the rear was most punishing and had me considering upgrading the shock. I'll be tied up tomorrow through Monday watching grandchildren but I'll call Tuesday and be sure to request Todd.
  6. NicKel78

Oddometer:
    To clear some things up...

Whether you order over the phone or online, you get the exact same product. No difference. There is no "standard setup over the internet". But DO call and talk to Todd. That is a must in my opinion.

If you order front, you have two spring options based on weight. The rest of your adjustments are made on installation. Oil level and spacer height are the two primary. Oil weight can be changed as well BUT that is stuff Todd will discuss with you.

On the rear, they are completely custom made. Internet order or not. Online you must enter ALL the same parameters they would take on a phone order to make the shock and spring rate match your riding type and weight. Again, Todd can help you over the phone with questions you may have on those items.
    Bruce1 likes this.
  7. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got it NicKel thanks. For the front I may ask about fork springs to see how the stock ones compare to what he recommends for my weight.
  8. Aguaski

Aguaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like following this thread even though my bike is a XT225. About a year ago I worked with Todd at Cogent to redo the suspension on my XT225. I agree with all the positive comments before mine. Both the service from Todd and his products are awesome. The full Cogent treatment massively changed my bike for the better.
    randypower likes this.
  9. NicKel78

Oddometer:
    Milo,

I went with the 0.40 kg/mm at Todd's recommendation. I am 165 so pretty much in the middle of the working range on those (140 -200 lb rider). Very noticeable difference. No matter how you slice it, unless you are tiny, the stock are under sprung. If you only do the DDC, you still need the 5W oil and probably want the install tool. The labor is the same except you will have to cut the factory spacers which are very thin wall steel tubing so make sure you have access to good equipment for that. For the $150 or so the springs add to the total package price, I wasn't about to even attempt staying with my factory ones. Even with the huge improvement, I know I will have to very conscious of not abusing the bike so I want all the improvement possible for myself.

Just a note on the spacers, when getting the entire kit, there are new spacers provided. They may or may not be drop in on length. You will just have to dry fit and work your measurements from there. They are a very heavy walled gray plastic (PVC?) material so they will be easier to shorten with minimal tools.

Just pull the plug man! If you like the XT, you'll not regret it.
  10. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Just be conscious that these must be cut absolutely square. Otherwise when the fork compresses they will bend the fork spring into the fork tube wall, which is not a good thing.
  11. Bruce1

Bruce1 Adventurer

Oddometer:

You are correct. My bad. I am quite paranoid of ordering things on the web (especially custom tailored stuff) without talking to a real human. I feel there are things that come up when you talk to an expert that might not have been considered otherwise.
  12. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    I communicated my riding style, loaded weights, typical riding conditions and typical luggage in writing and with photos of my usual trails. That way there can't be any miscommunication. Everyone envisions what a Jeep trail is, or a technical trail, differently. I found this out when talking to people at Cogent. East coast trails are very different from Rocky Mountain and western mountain trails. So, my point is, just talking isn't as effective communication as writing and photos. That is unless you ride paved roads and super easy graded backroads.

Rocks require dampening characteristics than dirt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Easy graded backroads are easier to valve dampening for:

[​IMG]
  14. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Hahaha :rofl

So funny when the most "knowledgeable" internet peeps get it sooo wrong. (happens across the 'net, not just in motorcycledom) Just because 2020 is apparently the Serrow's final year in other parts of the world, folks have automatically assumed 2020 is XT's final year in the US. I've doubted it because I've seen no evidence. Surely I'm not the only one to get the email this morning. :clap IMG_8662.jpg
  15. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Yep. As Mark Twain put it, “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.” I suspected that might be only in Asia, and it will soon be replaced by something else, there, which will get to us in a few years.

Don't know about that grey motif, though. My hair and beard have enough of THAT.
  16. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I do anything at all to the front it'll be springs at the minimum. At 185 I am closer to the upper end of the range but they should help a lot. And it's not like I'm jumping or racing the bike it's just slow trail riding. Thanks!
  17. TCBronson

TCBronson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed this bike has tubeless rear wheel that is NOT gold, I wonder where you can get this wheel. I also wonder why there is not a 21" front wheel available with tubeless feature?
  18. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Appears that different markets get different wheel colors.

No tubeless 21" wheel is offered on the Japanese site I purchased my tubeless rear wheel. Interesting that over my decades of riding, I've had a lot of rear flats but never a front flat.
  19. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Front tyre rolls over something spiky laying flat on the road, flicking it up into the rear tyre end-on.

Most of my front flats have been pinch flats off-road. Slamming into rocks at high speed with low pressures. One of the areas we race is all loose glacial till... mud and rocks.
  20. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Yet another reason why I ordered the tubeless rear wheel from Japan.
    bikemoto likes this.