1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    ok. I just picked up an xt250 but no tank .
    is there a plastic tank with fuel pump option?
  2. biker

biker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dont think so
  3. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    We've all been wishing for an aftermarket, larger, tank since the beginning. There are none for the fuel injected XT250s (2013 and later), which are the only ones that have fuel pumps. Not so sure about the earlier, carbed, bikes.
    swamp likes this.
  4. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Carbed ones don’t need a pump and all this stuff.
  5. DIRTLIFE757

DIRTLIFE757 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might be reinventing the wheel here but im trying to see if anyone else has needed a spacer on the exhaust mounts to keep an FMF pipe from melting the rear fender.
    Thanks in advance.
  6. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    do you know where I can buy a tank with the fuel pump already installed in it? I've searched around but it's kind of hard to find
  7. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    I think all OEM parts suppliers just use the manufacturers' parts lists, so it looks like you'll need to buy each item, separately, or find a parts bike, or someone parting out one.

Sorry
  8. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
  9. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Wow. That place is definitely worth remembering. That pump kit is less than a third of the reduced price from a discount OEM parts seller, and they have other things, like the seal and pressure regulator. I wonder if they're the company which makes them for the manufacturers.
  10. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Wow, if this site is legit (and it looks legit) it's a god-send! For my BMW, the fuel pump, which is noted to fail, is $418 for the BMW part and only $70 here. Someone who has done business with this site please post up about your experience.
  11. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. Looking into their ratings, I found them spotty on Yelp, but that site mostly gets only complaints, so not really clear.

To see their ratings on Amazon, search for: quantum HFP-390-UR

That gets a better price, but without the tank seal. Looks like you can't be sure the pressure regulator will really fit, so I'd give Quantum a call, first.
  12. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    well, the kit is cheap. I'll just order it.
    let me know if anyone finds a plastic tank that the pump etc. will fit in... probably just better to order yamaha tank .
  13. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went down with a mate today to pick up an XT250, a 2008 model, with only 1600km on the clock in all those 12 years. It has spent most of it's life in a shed unused after being taken to a cattle station for mustering, but got sidelined due to them using Ag bikes instead. It even has a UHF radio and whip aerial fitted!
    Anyway, when new and before it left the dealership, the previous owner had them remove the indicators and the mirrors, which got put in a box and subsequently got left behind at the cattle station.
    So we need a set of indicators, and looking on ebay I can see plenty of front pairs but not rear pairs. Looking at photos, they appear to be the same - is this the case? I'm assuming that Mr Yamaha did the standard practice of having connectors not far from each indicator so that new ones can be plugged in?

As for mirrors, any ebay recommendations? (for Australian Ebay I should add)
    XT250-2.jpeg
    mspenc45 likes this.
  14. Jolly Roger 250

Jolly Roger 250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the mirrors, highly recommend the Doubletake mirrors. For the turn indicators, plenty of aftermarket that are very inexpensive. For those, recommend LED and change the flasher relay to an LED flasher relay (also very inexpensive) instead of putting resistors on.
  15. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    But are the rear indicators the same as the front?
  16. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    No. The front turn signals have three wires, one for an always-on light to increase visibility, one for the blinker, and one ground. The rear turn signals only have two wires, but could use the same unit, and ignore the extra wire. In the US, it's much harder to find the front ones.

I've only replaced the rear ones, but there were no connectors near their location, so you have to cut the wires and connect them with your favorite connector (I used wire nuts).

I highly recommend LED lights, and don't feel a need for a new timer relay, with only the rear signals using LEDs, but it would be needed if both front and rear use LEDs.

When getting mirrors, note that the right mirror uses left-hand threads (10 mm). This allows it to rotate and un-screw a bit when hitting brush. Some ads list the XT250, but actually give you two mirrors with right-hand threads.
    TwoUpTourer likes this.
  17. Marxx

Marxx n00b

Oddometer:
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The Kemso eBay pump also works great.

Same pump on the XT as the WR and probably most all Yamaha's.

Quantum is quality for sure but probably rebranded Kemso.

WR250R owners have been using the Kemso pump for years with no issues.
    Those who need to spend more $ buy the Quantum pump instead.

Either way your OEM pump unit is made in China as is all the aftermarket ones...just don't buy the cheap eBay ones.
    swamp likes this.
  19. mspenc45

mspenc45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a 2013 XT250 for the wife/grandson. Seat height was number one, everything else after this. My 5'6" wife can easily flat foot on the XT250 with its 31.9" seat. We'll find out how my 5'2" grandson does this weekend on it. Anyway, 3400 miles on it and looks show room. This thinkg has amazing low end pull. I ride an XR350 and it is not much less than it! She already has a 45 tooth rear sprocket, this is the same as using a 16 tooth up front, a popular mod for better road riding I believe? Her chain is pretty rusted, so ordered the Primary Drive replacement chain from Rocky Mountain. The Trail Wings are terrible in the dirt, where 90% of our riding will be, so ordered the new Tusk D-Sport for the rear and going to try, what may be overly aggressive, the Bridgestone M59 on the front. Also ordered the Tubliss system for both wheels. Future mods will be the Cyclone LED headlamp bulb, possibley a Li battery to help shed weight, possibly a seat concepts seat, Double take mirrors, and would love to find some sort of pad for the handlebar bolts. If we find more of a straight dirt bike for the grandson, we might ad a wind screen to her as well. Any additional ideas or opinions welcomed! Right Side View New.jpg
    randypower likes this.
  20. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike, and it looks like you have great plans for it. If your grandson isn't planning to ride motocross, or something, I think you'd be smart to get another dual sport, unless your own bike is dirt only. Then you could all ride to the dirt together.

Don't know about that brand of chain, but my experience with non-O-ring chain was very disappointing. I only had to adjust the chain tension about three times with the OEM O-ring chain, but when I replaced it when the countershaft sprocket wore out, the new non-O-ring chain had to be adjusted after every ride of a few hours. Finally replaced it with an X-ring chain, after only a few thousand miles, I am now very happy. I don't remember having such problems with my old Honda CL200, so maybe some non-O-ring chains will out-perform others?