Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mspenc45

mspenc45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input! Yeah, my XR350 and XR400 are both converted for dual sport, although heavy towards the trail. I would have ordered an O-ring chain, but did not see one at Rocky Mountain ATV. Maybe I'll call them on Monday and ask to change my order if they have one. Pair.jpg
  2. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installed a rear rack (Precision Motorcycle Racks) on the XT250 recently. Went well, fairly easy, I’m pleased.

Notes: 1. You will lose the rear passenger/grab bars. There may be a way to retain them, but the instructions didn’t show it and I couldn’t do it. 2. Their installation video is nicely done and makes the job that much easier. 3. For the life of me, I couldn’t figure out why the tail light bolts had to come out? 4. I used (blue) LocTite on all bolts and screws I reinstalled, including the exhaust heat shield, seat and side panel.

63FEBDA6-1600-4C68-96B7-D3E033EC7B23.jpeg 541968D7-FA70-4067-BBB7-A22967D9A759.jpeg ACC6A0B5-833C-406B-AEB7-DB9E54F5DF83.jpeg A23A1654-D518-41C3-B314-2A6326A16DFC.jpeg
    nvklr and randypower like this.
  3. mspenc45

mspenc45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like that rack! Mine is more square and larger, with the handles, but I always like the idea that I can step off the back of the bike before going over with it on a hill climb. The narrower the rack, the better chance of the successful exit from the bike.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  4. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Looks like that rack will work well for grab bars for a passenger and/or picking up the bike.

Blue loctite is a good idea. I've never been sorry I used it, and HAVE been sorry I didn't.
    randypower and Dan Diego like this.
  5. changemystrings

changemystrings n00b

Oddometer:
    New XT250 owner (and dual sporter) in North Carolina - glad to have found this thread - lots of good info. Anyone have a good recommendation on breakaway levers?
  6. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why break the levers? Why not protect them with good hand guards?
  7. changemystrings

changemystrings n00b

Oddometer:
    Dropped it in my buddy’s driveway the first time I rode it :lol3
  8. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe buy a replacement and then relief saw them yourself?
  9. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I loosen the screw, so the lever can rotate in case of falling. Works good.
  10. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Get two of the lever you broke, and one of the other. They aren't very expensive. Also get guards, if you don't have them.
  11. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    RL Lemke likes this.
  12. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SC Tall is perfect for Cloudsplitter!
    randypower likes this.
  13. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Yep. Just ordered one.
    randypower and OHjim like this.
  14. NoBs.

NoBs. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gotta tell you, those were great pics and exactly the terrain the XT250 is best at. Even the occasional gnarly woods riding. You hit a home run..
  15. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Started today to fit a set of indicators after the originals got removed by the dealership on request by the previous owner.
    Took me 20 minutes or more before finding what I think are the connectors. Given that each of the indicators has a shortish lead, I expected to find the connectors nearby, 2 in the headlight area, and 2 in the rear. Perhaps there were at one time, but all I have found are these above the battery, which I'm hoping the brains trust here can identify.
    IMG_20200813_164032.jpg

If they are what I think they are, then the two black wires with the yellow bands will be earth, and the green/yellow and the brown/yellow will be one of left and right.
  16. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Rear Signals per manual wiring diagram.

Chocolate is left.

Dark green is right.

Black is ground.

Easy to test with meter.
    TwoUpTourer likes this.
  17. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for that. I'm actually helping out a mate, which is why I don't have a manual.
    So am I correct in assuming that there were a set of long wires that ran from the battery area fore and aft to join up with the indicator tails?
  18. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    The Shop Manual wiring diagram is a bear to decipher for me. The best way to be sure is to use a meter.

With bundled wires, it is hard to tell where they originate.
  19. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    It may be difficult to tell what's happening with the blinker wires, using a meter, since the blinker relay may interfere, or may be missing. Just connect one of the lights to a ground and another wire, turn on the ignition and a turn signal switch, and see what happens. One light should be able to work with the OEM relay, but will flash fast (that is, if it isn't an LED )

You are right that the original wiring has no connector near the turn signal lights. With original wiring, we have to cut the long wire, and connect into it.
  20. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you able to point me at where I can download a wiring diagram for a 2008?
    Started doing some testing last night, and it is bizarre! The indicator switch actually makes the headlight change to hi-beam!
    How the hell can this happen? I measure no voltage at all on the 4 wire connectors above the battery, so I'm going to have to look at a wiring diagram to nut out what has been done.
    It's clear that some part of the loom is missing. I have 4 connectors above the battery, but something must have gone from there to the headlight area to connect to the indicator tails, assuming the indicators didn't come with a metre of wire hanging off the front ones.

There must also have been some kind of connector that ensures that left and right side indicators are powered at the same time.