1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take the bike to a dealer? Still under warranty? With countless XTs around the world, riding in the rain is common, there should never be an issue.
  2. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    $12 to $24 on Amazon with free shipping seems reasonable.

Wash a paper filter? No way.

$12.60 for Yamaha filter seems very reasonable.
    https://www.yamahapartspro.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/5xt-14451-00-00/element-air-cleaner

Get two to be prepared for the next time.
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I’ve bought filters and many other items from Procycle and have been very pleased with them. OEM air filter: https://procycle.us/product/705-air-filter-oem-element
  4. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does the FI pump run audibly for a couple of seconds to build up pressure when you turn the key on during the failure times?

I found out about code 30 on my recent CDR+COBDR. When the bike takes a good nap, the dash shows "30". It will crank but not fire up with this code displayed. Turning the key off and on resets it.
  5. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Pump runs when I turn it on and no code that I saw.
    randypower likes this.
  6. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately in Australia you have to mortgage your house to the dealers to get Yamaha filters, with A$50 the starting point.
    Do foam filters exist for the XT250?
    The available slot looks too small to me for that to be possible, but I don't know.
  7. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back to the indicator wiring.
    Having obtained the manual which has some very detailed cabling diagrams, which has revealed something to me.
    RearTurnSignalLeads.jpg
    This tells me that the 4 leads I found are item 12 here, and are only for the REAR turn signals.
    So, that implies there are some as yet unfound connectors up front somewhere.
    All I have is this front and ambiguous cable diagram:-
    FrontTurnSignalLeads.jpg
    So the tails coming out of the turn signals are 5 and 7.
    But the instructions say install the leads to the "Cap"? So what is the cap???
    If any of you could shine a torch into your headlight area and can see what the turn signal leads plug into it would be a great help, as this unidentified cap does not match up to anything I can see. This is a 2008 model I am working on btw.

Overall this is saying that the main loom has 2 pairs of connectors in the rear, and 2 pairs in the front, but damned if I can find them!
  8. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. randypower

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that. What does "latch up" mean in this context? What is latching, and why "up?"
  10. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Latch-up
    A latch-up is a type of short circuit which can occur in an integrated circuit.
  11. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Here are the Error Codes:

[​IMG]
    randypower likes this.
  12. randypower

Oddometer:
    Thanks, RL
  13. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Mine did not post any codes on the dash. i assume that is where the codes would be?

I am going to see if it will start again and, hopefully?, fail again, so i can try to diagnose this further. I'll be afraid to ride it anywhere if i can't find and fix this issue.

If i can't straighten it ought while i am here in Georgia, I will take it to the dealer when I get back to MA in September.

Thanks everyone for your help!!
  14. dpep1

dpep1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here’s a quick and ugly taillight mod using the DRC Edge, did it with what I had on hand. I may fab something a little prettier at work but this is working for now and hopefully simple enough to inspire others.

Before:

63FE5208-F0DA-4255-AA7D-504D9FF8B2BB.jpeg
    Once I had everything off I cut the small part of the old headlight bracket off with a grinder. I cut and drilled 2 pieces of metal strapping to fit the taillight mounting bolts as shown. The plan was to sandwich the bracket piece with the 2 strapping pieces but only one ended up fitting, so that’s all I used. Painted black:
    71CC7956-3CE7-4926-B480-04A60DD36667.jpeg
    I used electrical tape as a grommet on the strapping where you feed the wires through to prevent chafing and installed:
    2B750E2F-6D41-479C-AA17-F35C1E6601F3.jpeg
    Next re-attached the bracket piece with the original hardware through the same holes under the fender:
    0FBEF54C-5B24-448F-AA2C-7DA9681B3551.jpeg
    Next do your wiring, don’t forget to add the weather proofing to your connections before attaching. Test brakes and signals, careful not to short anything and blow a fuse like I did, thankfully there are extras in the fuse box. Then feed the taillight bolts through the strapping and tighten with the provided hardware and bam...a much cleaner rear: 305BAA4E-1B1A-4F5A-B70F-D5D7F94EB482.jpeg
    When I added my permanent plate I drilled holes in the fender so it sits up higher under the plate light.
    AZ Air Hd likes this.
  15. randypower

Oddometer:
    Nice work. I like the look but I dislike making the trail/brake light most likely less visible. Thanks for sharing.
  16. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Note how auto LED lights are far smaller too. Often the LEDs are far brighter.
  17. randypower

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and I put an LED bulb into the stock taillight for more visibility.

But I'm not wanting to be critical here. I really do like the custom look of that light and how it cleans up the look of the back end. I wish I had the skills and patience to do stuff like that!
  18. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Follow-up on the problem I had yesterday with my XT.

The good news- the bike started and ran normally today and i ran it up and down the block for 45" without any issues. :-)
    The bad news- " " " " " " " " " " " ..... :(

So now I am somewhat confident the issue was due to the heavy rain i was riding in at the time. However, I have ridden several other times previously in even heavier rain with no problem, and nothing has been changed on the bike since then. So now I am left with no confidence that if i am caught in the rain (or maybe after a water crossing) I won't again be stranded. Bummer.

I'm pretty sure the bike did not throw a code when the incidents occurred, but I might have been to wet, cold and flustered to notice. Does anyone know if it did code, would the code be stored and could it still be retrieved by me or a dealer?
  19. Milano.B

Milano.B Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right now the OEM coil just has a rubber cover/booth to protect the top of the coil. Crossing deep creek, that rubber cover probably won't do much.
    I have never seen a 'sealed coil'. Are you referring to some type of cover to make the coil 'waterproof' or dielectric grease on all electrical connectors? Thanks
  20. dpep1

dpep1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I feel ya randy, I was a bit concerned how small it actually was when it showed up. I like how the shape contours with the lines of the bike. But I also didn’t mind the old school look of the big square taillight, which is the same reason I will probably keep the large directionals.

As Lemke said, this LED taillight is quite a bit brighter than the stock bulb and I find it to catch the eye better. If there were a same sized/shaped LED version of the stock light I would put it in the same spot. The entire rear fender assembly is a visible abomination in my opinion haha!

Here’s an unedited picture of the taillight with the bike at idle/running mode:
    D6FCD00C-1DAC-4515-966B-5989EC5A930D.jpeg

But once again your point is valid and I think appropriate for someone to contemplate before doing a similar mod.