Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks flei :-) and I think I have about 30 bucks worth of material invested.
  2. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
  3. Bobbyh83

Bobbyh83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rack looks great. Puts my cobbled together basic platform to shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cyclepath likes this.
  4. GrumpyStuart

GrumpyStuart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nicely done on the racks. I bought a rear rack, but am doing the sides myself. Probably finish over the winter.
    Cyclepath likes this.
  5. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    But if they work that's all that counts. :-)
  6. scary fish

scary fish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    G'Day all,
    Just picked up a bargain 2017 model for my partner.
    My first impression of the XT was wow, I'm really impressed with the build quality on these little bikes, but and here the big BUT.
    WTF were they thinking when they put a disposable paper air filter on a dual sport machine ???
    A quick internet search has not yielded much in the way of alternative filters, only K&N and a similar cotton pleated copy/design . Has anyone found anything better or modified the air box to house a more conventional oiled foam element ?

Cheers
  7. GrumpyStuart

GrumpyStuart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They wanted the engine to last a lot longer than a pure offroad machine. Some people like that.
  8. scary fish

scary fish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is no reason why an engine breathing through an appropriate oiled foam filter should have a shorter life span .
  9. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paper or K&N?

Test results from a K&N fan that took the time to conduct a thorough test comparison of air flow and filtration:

Well there is a clear pattern on filtration ability compared to both flow and the type of filtration media used. The “high performance” cotton gauze and foam filters do not filter as well as some have claimed. I actually received an e-mail from K&N stating their filters filter within 99% of the OEM filters. This may be true, and 1% may not sound like much. I contend that 1% over many miles, may be important. Really, it is up to each individual to decide. The poorer flowing filters remove more particles, and the better flowing filters remove less particles. If you think about it, that conclusion passes any and all common sense tests, so it is not surprising. There are many that will be shocked by the results, though that should not be. I’ve used high performance filters in the past, and I might again in the future. At the same time, I know that the stock OEM type filters perform very well in filtration and don’t inhibit flow nearly as much as some think.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/air-filtration-test/

Or, https://forums.tccoa.com/1074256-post15.html
    Xiola_Blue likes this.
  10. Xiola_Blue

Xiola_Blue You Can Build Your Muscles Picking Strawberries...

Oddometer:
    They staved this thing of both air and fuel. They already run lean and hot. If you add any more airflow to the mix you'll have to add a fuel tuner to compensate. I'd add a tuner regardless but I heard that DynoJet discontinued the Power Commander for the XT.
    As far as the AirBox goes I just picked up a K&N and flipped the lid upside down with a rubber washer/spacer added to one side. It opened up a tad more airflow. I also threw an FMF pipe on mine but it was too darn loud (IMO). In hindsight I should have just uncorked the stock exhaust a bit. I increased the fuel across the throttle range with the Power Commander. Probable added 2 or 3 hp with a tad better throttle response.

My 17' XT is now gone. I spent almost a year and a ton of $$$ trying to make it something it could never be. Had a lot of fun and learned a lot along the way though.
  11. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    So often my point too.

Money is far better spent getting the right motorcycle for your intended use.

A jigsaw is a lousy choice for framing. Trying to make a jigsaw into a framing saw is silly and a waste of money.
    Xiola_Blue likes this.
  12. scary fish

scary fish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My issue is not performance, its more usability. I live in Western Australia and do a lot of KM's in really remote areas, lots of long dusty dirt roads and tracks. This requires air filters to be cleaned and re oiled daily as a min. I wasn't planning on getting my partner to carry a pannier full of replacement air filter elements :imaposer

On a separate note. Is there enough clearance between the rear wheel and swinging arm to fit 130/80 tyres ?
  13. Xiola_Blue

Oddometer:
    Ahh... understood. Well then, I think you are in uncharted territory with that one. I'd find the cheapest filter out there and order them by the gross. They are small so you could easily carry a couple with you.
    Try to find a replacement air box. I see them on eBay for around $80 bucks. Then just play around with modding it for a foam insert.
    RL Lemke likes this.
  14. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    I agree with the purchase of additional paper filters because they are inexpensive ($9 USD) and more effective at capturing dirt. You can knock them to free the loose dirt and use them again.

Foam filters allow more dirt to pass into the engine. Probably why Yamaha switched from foam to paper for the XT back in about 2007.
  15. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    New shock arrived.

[​IMG]

Rebuilt forks too, along with the old springs and spacers.

[​IMG]
  16. Xiola_Blue

Oddometer:
    Very very nice man! My XT was much improved when I installed stiffer progressive springs but it was still a bit of a pogo stick. I'd love to have experienced what Cogent does to her.
  17. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    What did they do with your front forks? Any changes to the valving.
  18. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    See post 74.
  19. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It looks like they did nothing to your forks except install different springs and fork oil.
  20. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer: