1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mspenc45

mspenc45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Installed the Delkevic Stubby 14" Carbon Fiber Oval Muffler to fit XT250 https://delkevic.com/stubby-14-carbon-fiber-oval-muffler-to-fit-xt250-2008-2019/ and absolutely love its look and sound! We chose the oval cross section. The note of this is very deep and actually soothing to hear. I don't know about any improvement in performance, but the sound and look is incredible IMO. Oh, and no it does not melt the light or plat Delvic 1.jpg Delvic 2.jpg e holder like the FMC does.
    randypower and JB44 like this.
  2. mspenc45

mspenc45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Installed the Tubless system front and rear and love it! This system allows you to run insanely low pressure off road, and no more tire removal on the trail for puncture flats. Also went with the new Tusk Adventure rear from Rocky Mountain and the non DOT M59 for the front. Man, what a difference over the Death Wings!!
    CaseyJones and JB44 like this.
  3. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :eekers:eekers:eekers
    It looked like a 30 minute job.....three hours later the air injection system was removed.... :eekers

Cloudsplitter's idea of blocking the cylinder head port, and leaving everything in place is the way to go.....smart beats stubborn...

I wasn't going to let it beat me....had to remove: seat, side panels, tank panels, plastic hose protector, and eventually......unbolt and raise the the gas tank.

The biggest stumbling block was the bracket holding the "metal pipe" on. it is held in place by a cylinder head bolt... 8 3/4" long.....the reason for having to lift the tank.....then had to re-torque to spec when replacing.

Will post a few pictures when I get time to upload them.

jb
  4. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That makes sense. I had the recall done about a year ago and glad I did. This year, I've done a fair number of highway miles in long days (long by my standard). The fix might have saved wires.

Are you not concerned about losing the function of expulsion of gases and heat, since you have yours blocked? I wonder if it makes a meaningful difference in heat expulsion.
  5. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Don't have a pic; but I wanted a lower front fender. After some comparisons, I figured the front half-fender, the low mudguard on the tire...a second one, reversed and bolted forward, might work.

Work it does. Could only get the forward bolt, in one hole; but the two jammed together well. The rear mudguard remains as intended. The second one, reversed, shoved up against the other one...the back of two mounting holes, to the forward mount bolt on the fork...bear down, you have two layers of plastic fender holders...and there's enough friction they just stay there. Set the new forward piece with the edge OVER, not UNDER, the original one, so that spray that's thrown doesn't work between and then on top of the fender to blow off and up.

Reason for this: I dislike the beak; the front tire throws road spray around and the beak doesn't catch it; and since the rear half-fender is there ANYWAY, I don't lose much if I find myself in mud. I don't ride in mud, intentionally, anyway. To my taste it's visually an improvement; and the beak probably caught a lot of air at speed.

Cost to me, nothing. My mechanic had that fender off another XT, just laying around.
    randypower likes this.
  6. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Like that. Typically I don't like to go with aftermarket exhaust changes; but that blatty XT muffler...sounds like a lawn mower. I should hope someone could do better.
  7. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my Delkevik also. But I got a second mounting loop from the company which I installed toward the rear of the can (by the passenger handles) to make it much more stable.
  8. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few photos of the air injection:
    (sorry, most of the closeups came out too blurry to be useful)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jb
  9. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few more additions while I was at it:

Replaced front and rear turn signal bulbs with LED bulbs.

Replaced headlight with JNS LED headlight:

[​IMG]

New wheels and tires:

[​IMG]

jb
    NicKel78 and JNS Engineering like this.
  10. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that’s a complete answer.
    And you did nothing on the right side?
    Did you notice a difference in the running after that?
    Where did you find the caps?
  11. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This morning I mounted a plastic skid plate from Ali. Not very nice finished. It’s painted not mass tinted so guess it will not be nice for a long time. But... it’s much less noisy then the metal one. Not a bad choice at all.
    Best would be the original Yamaha one but can’t find it.
    I will post a pic soon.
    randypower likes this.
  12. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So here it is
    [​IMG]
  13. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took off the side panels and tank panels on the right side to help see how everything was connected (also to raise the gas tank), but did all the removal from the left side.

The bike started up on the first push of the starter button. Took it for a one hour ride on pavement and forest service roads. Bike ran great as usual.

The rubber vacuum caps are available at any auto parts store or on Amazon.
    However, the port into the airbox is 1/2", and there was not a 1/2" cap in the assortment.
    I used the short stock hose with a short 1/2" bolt in the end to seal the airbox until I could order a 1/2" cap.

[​IMG]

jb
  14. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot.
  15. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, looking into it, I see that the tubing attached to the top of the clutch cover (on the right side), is the oil delivery pipe, not the third hose from the AIS. From the parts list for the air intake, I see that the third hose from the AIS goes to the top of the connection between the throttle and the engine, called the manifold.

Sorry
    JB44 likes this.
  16. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the second pic a kit you ordered completely?
    I’ll be interested.
  17. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    That is actually a very-nice setup.

Maybe you covered it further up, but...did you do anything besides pull the plastic side trim off, and paint it? And the skidplate, of course...
  18. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a kit. Purchased items separately.
    You can re-use the bolts and metal gasket. I ordered new ones but were not necessary.
    Just the metal plate and vacuum caps are necessary.

I have 2 more photos to post of the plastic hose protector removal and the headbolt that need s to be lifted.
    (my photo host is currently off line)

Plastic hose protector needs to be removed for access to head bolt:

[​IMG]

Here is the cylinder head bolt that is such a pain to remove to detach the metal pipe bracket.

With the gas tank lifted and tilted to the right, there is just enough room to lift the head bolt up a bit at a time with needle nose pliers, until the bracket can be removed
    (re-torque head bolt to 16 foot-pounds according to manual).

[​IMG]

jb
  19. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did nothing except the skid plate and the little tail bag.
    It’s a Tricker, not an XT.
    16 “ rim rear, 19” front.
  20. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a clear answer. Thanks. First I have to find where to order the parts.