1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    XT photos, as promised.

Seems my digital camera chose today to start dying. Unfortunate, because over the summer, the geeks at Cupertino chose to do an "update" that renders iPhone photos unreadable online - only if they're first stored in their "cloud." I've always been able to force the iPhone to puke up photos on my Linux computer - and I don't trust clouds, file repositories, or any third-party holder. Remember Photobucket? Fortunately I had saved copies of those photos locally. I won't repeat that and I don't want all my photos, of whatever, going through third-party hands.

Anyway...sorry about the damaged images and poor quality.

xt 1.JPG
    Adventure front fender!

xt 2.JPG

xt 3.JPG

xt 4.JPG
    NicKel78 likes this.
  2. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me where the turn signal flasher is located.

There is a diagram in the manual, but it doesn't show the exact location.

Thanks.

jb
  3. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's to the rear of the battery.
  4. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    I thought I looked there, but will check again.

jb
  5. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow that looks surprisingly different with the low fender. Thanks for sharing. And yeah, it's always Cupertino's way or the highway.
  6. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. I'm looking at a 2014 XT250 this weekend for my partner. It will be her first bike. It has 17,000km on it and has been used off-road for at least the last 3000km.

Is there any issue that I should be looking for that is specific to the XT?
    I've heard that these bikes are bulletproof but want to make sure I don't miss some known issue.
  7. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Mike, I think that should be a great choice for your riding partner. I have about twice that mileage on my 2014 XT, and am very happy with it.

You should be aware that at that mileage, some things may need replacing, if not done already:
    1. Tires
    2, Countershaft sprocket. It's cheap, but can be difficult to get off, because the nut needs a lot of torque. When mine wore out, I also replaced the chain and rear sprocket, but have since decided that those should outlast two countershaft sprockets.
    3. Front brake pads (I'm still carrying the rear pads I bought at the same time, but some riders use the rear much more than I do).
    4. Battery, maybe, but if it starts reliably, then the battery is good for now.

That's about it. If the owner can't assure you that valve clearances have been checked, you should do that soon, but I see no reason they should be bad, even if never checked.

I had a clutch wear out, but few others seem to have had that problem. However when mine went, I couldn't get the bike out of the hills (uphill both ways), so you should read what to do here:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/where-are-your-xt250s-lets-see-them.403156/page-113#post-25569555
    JB44 and randypower like this.
  8. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    These are very reliable bikes, so if it has been reasonably well taken care of, it is quite unlikely that there are any problems. Routine maintenance items (e.g., tires, chain, sprockets, etc.) may need replacement at 17K if this hasn't been done already, but these are relatively inexpensive and easy to do. Don't let Cloudsplitter's clutch episode scare you off; clutch problems are not frequently reported.
  9. JohnBoyNC

JohnBoyNC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Newbie question on a recently purchased 2021....do only the front turn signals turn on as running lights?

TIA
  10. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome! And Yes.
  11. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Well, yes and no. Of the turn signals, only the front ones turn on, but the tail/brake light also turns on, less bright than the brake light.
  12. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! Tires, chain, sprockets, brakes, clutch plates, battery etc. are no problem.
    I just wanted to make sure there isn't some issue like the Africa Twin forks or KLR doohickey type issue to watch out for.
    It looks like a fun bike and should be perfect for her. It's already got pannier racks, barkbusters and a skid plate so I think all I need to do is add on some heated grips and she's ready for camping trips on backroads.
    flei and randypower like this.
  13. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, one challenge special to the XT, is that the pivot bolt supporting the foot operated gearshift backs out. I was lucky that it stayed with the gearshift when mine came loose, but a couple of riders lost it, and had to "make shift" until they could get a new one. Take it out, put grease on the pivot part, and blue locktite on the threads, and Bob's your uncle.
  14. JohnBoyNC

JohnBoyNC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First two add-on/upgrades today. Moose Racing Expedition rack and DMO footpegs. Two great solid products.

Attached Files:

BarryB, JB44 and randypower like this.
  15. Realmswalker

Realmswalker n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I have some questions. Quick back story, my son, for reasons unknown to man, has been obsessed with dirtbikes for the last two years, or anything that goes fast on two wheels. No one in my family has ever shown an interest in motorcycles. Since he is an exceptional kid and I can't ask for a better son, I bought him a KTM Pro Senior LC 50. He is almost nine and the bike fits him well. Got him some dirt bike lessons and took him out for the first time to a huge flat dry lake bed. After sitting there for 3 hours and watching him ride, I decided this sucks, I'm getting a bike. I have never ridden a dirt bike, or a motorcycle for that fact, in my life. Sooo, I find a used 2019 Yamaha xt250 for a decent price and I buy it. I am 6'2, 200 pounds, this bike is too small for me, and I knew that going in, but I wanted a bike to hand down to my son when he gets big enough to upgrade and I'm a better rider for a bigger better bike, and I figured a smaller lighter bike will help me learn the basics. I will not be racing, jumping, or doing anything crazy on this bike, this will be a strictly flat ground/trail riding bike.

What I want to do is do something....anything to make this bike fit me better. Here is my list of upgrades I want to do

Taller seat
    Bar risers
    High bend bars
    Adjust the bars forward
    pegs that can be moved lower and further back

If anyone has done any of these mods and can recommend brands to go with or brands to avoid, any help would be awesome, I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want to go cheap either. Or any advice in general on my list of things I shouldn't do.

And lastly but most importantly, a longer shift lever. I wear a size 11 boot. I've had a bit of trouble finding a longer shift lever for this bike, so if anyone has a suggestion I would highly appreciate it. If not I've heard people who have cut and welded length onto the shift lever. I have a friend who is an amazing welder and can do this easily, but it's my last resort.

Thank you for your time!

Adam.
  16. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    where did you find those pegs?
  17. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Taller seat- Seat Concepts now has a tall one. Info here https://advrider.com/f/threads/where-are-your-xt250s-lets-see-them.403156/page-486

Bar risers- the Rox risers will work for this and allows many rotational angles. Don’t get the cheap chinese knockoffs . I had a set and the first fall was at slow speed and one broke. It was interesting getting to an auto parts store to get a wrench.

High bend bars - you might try the rox first. There’s not a whole lot of room to go high without rerouting the cables.

Not sure on the shifter. Best might be to cut and weld in a spacer.
  18. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    A couple things you can do while waiting for new parts:

1. Adjust the rear shock spring pre-load: allowable length of the spring, with the rear wheel off the ground, is 197 to 207 mm. The easy way to do this is to remove the right rear plastic panel, and use a punch or long bolt to loosen the lock-nut, adjust the spring preload length to the minimum, and re-tighten the lock-nut. The only tricky part is measuring spring length.

2. Loosen the handlebars in the triple clamps, and rotate them up and forward, then loosen and rotate the brake and clutch clamps back. Go farther than you think you should, as I've rotated mine a second time, and will probably go even farther on a third attempt.

I'm not sure you need that longer gear shift lever, as you may get used to the original, though I have seen where one guy did weld an extension on his. My riding boots are size 15, and I've never felt a need for a longer lever, but I don't have the wider pegs that some riders get.

I'm also not convinced you should move the pegs back and down. We tall riders already have our weight farther back on the seat than shorter riders, due to our long femurs, and when standing, the original location may be where you want your weight. Also, dropping the pegs down might put your feet in danger of catching a rock or branch.

Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll enjoy that bike.
    NicKel78 likes this.
  19. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    swamp likes this.
  20. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    I think you made an excellent choice, your first bike, and your son's first big bike.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that you're too big for the bike. I'm heavier, at 225 pounds; taller, at six-two; and have size 13 gunboats. And I fit the XT fine - I'd like to install risers, but I've done that once before, and the cost and hassle of longer cables makes me not want to jump into it.

I've been on all sizes of bikes, from a Honda ST1300 to a little Yamaha R5C. My take is, unless you're going to aggressively tour long distances, big bikes are overrated. Light makes right, unless you're drafting semis on the Interslabs.

As time goes on, you may want the added refinement of something like the WR250 or an Adventure-style bike...or you may not. I got off a Versys X-300 for this, and the longer spring travel is a blessing and a joy. As good in urban settings as on the trail.

I favor the XT over the WR because of the simplicity - even with lower power. Having had radiators spring on the road and trail, I'd rather not play.
    JB44 and randypower like this.