Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Milano.B

Milano.B Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If your pocket is Deep, try the Mitas E-07+
    I will try the Bridgestone Battlax AX41
    The Kenda K761 (on sales at Rocky Mountain $52) is more like 80/20
    JB44 likes this.
  2. matt-moto

matt-moto n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for the replies. My rims are due to arrive from Japan on Tuesday. I don't plan to air the tires down that much so it shouldn't be a problem. I do like the idea of have the second set. One geared for pavement and the other for dirt riding. So far, this little bike is better than I ever thought it would be. Having a great time reading through this thread and customizing it for my needs.
    Milano B. either the Bridgstone Battlax AX41 or the Shinko 700's will be my choice, but I'll check out the Mitas tires.
    JB44 very nice tutorial on how to seal the spokes. I might go the route of Outex Tubeless Kit from Woodies. Anybody have experience with the Outex kit?
  3. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No experience with the Outex kit, but watched dozens of videos and read every article I could find before attempting the spoke sealing myself.

Perhaps the advantage of only using tape would be that it could be "undone" without much trouble, and that you still may be able to adjust the spokes if necessary.

If you decide on a larger than stock tire, there is one more caution if there is a chance you will encounter mud:

[​IMG]

Mud will cake up in the fender.

I have had some bad falls in the mud, and do everything I can to avoid it....sometimes you can't.

I plan to make some brackets to raise the fender.

jb
  4. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My plan also:

To put street oriented tires on the stock rims.

The older I get, the less I enjoy being continually bounced around by off road riding. .:nod

jb
    Jeathrow Bowdean likes this.
  5. Houstrom46

Houstrom46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to write the same thing. The decal delete really makes the bike look clean. I was on the fence about the tan color when it cam out in 2018 (?), but seeing this bike without the clutter of graphics really looks crisp to my eyes.
  6. NicKel78

NicKel78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. matt-moto

matt-moto n00b

Oddometer:
    Pulled the stickers off mine too. All except the XT250. I might take it off too, but if it was black I'd leave it on. It looks so much better in my opinion.
    Wheels from Japan arrived in record time! Confirmed my order Tuesday October 20 and they arrived via DHL on Thursday October 22. Unbelievable but true.

Attached Files:

JB44, washout800 and NicKel78 like this.
  8. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would you mind linking to the product pages for both the front and rear wheels from webike?

I'm struggling navigating the site with live Japanese->English translation in the browser.
  9. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    JB44 likes this.
  10. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. matt-moto

matt-moto n00b

Oddometer:
    My cost was $672 shipped to my door in California in 3 days. I probably should have gone with the sea freight option, but didn't trust waiting to 2 or 3 months.
    randypower likes this.
  12. Milano.B

Oddometer:
    I ordered mine when they recently had the 'anniversary sales' (Free Airship).
    Received the goodies in 4 days. It was like Xmas in Oct :clap :clap :clap
    Considering that the Tubeless wheel comes with Sprocket and Brake Rotor Included, the price is reasonable.
    With Free Airship I decided to splurge and got the Zeta Adjustable Preload Shock Cap (a jewel).

On my XT225, a 1/2" aluminum shim was used to firm up the front shock and it was Great.
    The Preload Shock Cap allows the rider to do the same and it is adjustable.
    The top is an air pressure relief valve.
    Installation was straightforward.

IMG_7042 3 mini.JPG
    JB44, NicKel78 and randypower like this.
  13. Milano.B

Oddometer:
    Just waiting for the trail to open after the Extreme Weather we have in California

Top View

IMG_7033 3 Mini.JPG
  14. washout800

washout800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh my,,,,,,, that is a sweet looking dash.
    I've been following this thread for a couple of weeks now. I have a 2003 XT 225 which I really like but I am also very curious about the XT 250. For those of you that have both, is there a big enough difference in the two, a 2003 XT 225 and say a 2016-2021 XT 250, that would warrant owning both? Thanks in advance.
  15. Milano.B

Oddometer:
    The XT225 is a good bike with 6 speed trans.
    Yes I can feel a slight power difference (butt dyno) between the XT250 vs XT225
    XT250 does 70 mpg (spirited riding, factory claimed 76mpg) while the XT225 can do no more than 50mpg (Adventure Prepped).
    XT225 has aftermarket ADV gas tank.
    XT250, one has to carry a 2 liter gas container (FuelFriend) for 'just in case' on a long excursion.

If you have deep pocket and want to own both, go for it! :thumb
    If you do not have a bike, I suggest the XT250 (no more clogged pilot jet, but there is a fix).
    Carb can be fixed in the field. It is not exactly the same when one has complex FI system.
    Already owned an XT225 and really like it? Keep it as it is already paid off!

XT250 Ready to Roll for an expedition

IMG_7036 2 Mini.JPG

XT225 Dancing in the Clouds.
    For all those years I have been carrying that white fuel cell pod, not a single time it was ever needed.

P9233561A Mini.jpg
    Loadtoad101, randypower, JB44 and 3 others like this.
  16. Knobby Bob

Knobby Bob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What brand skid plate is on the xt 250 ?
  17. Milano.B

Oddometer:
    Technically it is designed by Yamaha.
    An OEM Bash Plate made for the Tricker (not imported to the US).
    But mine is a 'clone' so price is reasonable.

Since my days of Black Diamond trail is over, I just need a simple and elegant skid plate.
    It is a Robust Alu plate, 5mm/0.19685" thick and weighting 998g/2lbs.
    Holes are drilled to lighten up a little, improve cooling and make it looks like a 'Dakar' wannabe :D
    Despite all those holes, weight reduction was only by 143g/5.04oz

It is a Very Stout plate.
    I guaranty if you hit a boulder with that plate, the boulder will literally 'vaporize' :jack
    Seriously, it is an excellent plate, using OEM mounting holes and the price is right (USD50 shipped).

IMG_5102 Mini.JPG
    Knobby Bob and JB44 like this.
  18. gseur

gseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made for the Tricker. That’s interesting. Did you noticed an elevation of the noise?
    I have now the second different on my Tricker and still not so happy with the noise even with some foam between plate and engine.
  19. Knobby Bob

Knobby Bob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would like to get this skid plate can I get information on where to purchase one
  20. NicKel78

NicKel78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can’t speak for the design with the holes in it but I have the moose racing skid plate. Absolutely fantastic protection with the side wings but holy crap is that thing a amphitheater for the engine noise. I ordered some of this spray on material to coat the engine side with. Hoping it will make a difference. Will update once I receive it and try it out.
    https://www.designengineering.com/boom-mat-spray-on/