Yamaha XT250 Thread - All things related to the XT from riding to modifications.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RL Lemke, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is well stated and pretty much describes what an XT250 is best at. For trail riding and going through, over, or around most any obstacle, what I find important is light weight, low gearing, good knobby tires, and good ground clearance. For those who wish to do this at higher speeds they'll want for more suspension and more power.

2. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My rear tires. Having two sets of wheels allows easy change for the days ride.

IRC Tubeless where there is pavement included.

Mountain Gummy with Mousse for all trails.

[​IMG]
    JB44 likes this.
  3. NicKel78

NicKel78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well put and nothing I can disagree with. Having been off bikes for 7-8 years when I purchase the XT, all of the above were solids reasons for picking it. Actually purchased a pair, one for me and one for the lady. Do not regret getting this bike for her first bike. It's a great bike to start with and she'll have many years of enjoyable riding on it. But now after several thousand miles and finding my groove I am in a different place than where I started and not at all where I expected. For me, that is my personal reason for probably having to switch to something else now.
  4. Milano.B

Milano.B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is part of Human Nature, Nickel78. Everyone has a different need.

As a comparison some people like to change mate very often.
    Others stick to the same spouse for the rest of their life.
    A couple friends like to take the same route. I get :snore
    Others like myself, enjoy exploring 'different bushes'. Yes variety is healthy! :nod

Car manufacturers know this behavior very well and set their marketing strategy by offering different class of vehicles to various type of personality.
    They bait young drivers with a low cost Civic. Then family grow, they need a bigger car (perhaps an Accord?) or maybe a van (Odyssey, room for doggie).
    Hopefully later on with more road experience and deeper pocket, the driver will move into an Acura (firm, sporty & luxurious)

If the XT250 no longer fits your need, perhaps it is time to cut your loss, sell it asap (< depreciation) and move into your dream bike.
    Just stop by sometime to say hello, Eh? :wave

Personally, it is good to have two bikes.
    One for the trail and a bigger one for the power (instant adrenaline) and long distance expedition.
    RL Lemke and NicKel78 like this.
  5. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    We share that perspective.

One for slow:
    [​IMG]

And one for go:
    [​IMG]
    NicKel78, JB44, Milano.B and 2 others like this.
  6. Milano.B

Oddometer:
    Yes one size does Not fit all.
    Regardless of what the manufacturers claim for their dual sport bikes capability, anything above 300-400cc is too heavy (pig) for the trail.
    Also having two bikes is Good for the economy :thumb (shop until you drop).

In the spirit of Dual Sport riding, I find dirt/trail riding has more 'fun factor' than road.
    But to do long distance, there is nothing better than the black top.

Just ordered the Mosko Moto Reckless 80 liter V3 to better organize the DR650 luggage.
    Waiting for their Reckless 40 liter V3 to come out in Dec for the XT250 (Ultra Light) :ricky

'Ship Rock' Lost Coast, Northern California

IMG_2663 Mini.JPG
  7. RL Lemke

Oddometer:
    Mattole Road has been a delight for me over the decades. BUT, these days it is so very rough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    washout800 and JB44 like this.
  8. Milano.B

Oddometer:
    Awesome group pic! Thanks for sharing.

Yes I would like to revisit . The scenery was so memorable.
    It is an interesting area. Sometime we smell 'unsual scent' that is not common in the forest.
    At the general store, young workers waiting to be bused to a location so they can harvest the 'crop'.

RedWood National Park, entering into the Giant Domain, we are tiny among them

IMG_2687 Mini.JPG
    MYUMPH, NicKel78, washout800 and 2 others like this.
  9. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but do you mean the rough road, or the rough riders?
  10. Logger06

Logger06 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree 100%. In my opinion, none of the 250 dual sports are that good for much more than trail riding. So, for me unless you mostly ride on the road, the XT250 could actually be the best 250 dual sport on the market. There’s better road bikes, but if you were going to get into tough technical terrain, none of the dual sports would fare well. They make bikes for that, and they’re not 300 pounders, and they have much more power.

I have often thought about trading “up” for a CRF250L, WR250R, or KLX250, but I keep coming back to the XT250 (which I have owned for about a year). I do have a KTM 300XC for the tough stuff though.

I am intrigued by the new 300’s coming out, but they’re still too heavy to take on the real tough stuff.
  11. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Woah. With that mean machine, I'm surprised you didn't get a 300 EXC (now 350) to go with it. The older I get, the more I want lighter, almost enough to make me trade up to something like that, and put up with the maintenance (or neglect it). The height isn't a problem for me, but I just can't let go of this little XT
    Logger06 likes this.
  12. Logger06

Logger06 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m torn on that. I’d love to combine my two bikes into one do-it-all bike, which the 350EXC would do. My issue is that the 350 EXC has very stringent maintenance requirements, as it is a high performance bike. I don’t think I’d want to burn up hours on the 350EXC putting around on country roads. Maybe my logic is flawed, but I’ve accepted that a high perf woods bike requires maintenance, but I like my around-town dual sport to be maintenance free as possible. If that makes any sense...
    GonzoDirtso likes this.
  13. GonzoDirtso

GonzoDirtso Lurker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does the KLX300 and/or the 300 Rally sway your thinking at all? XT250 owner here and would like a 6speed, windshield, and just a little more pep for a real lightweight ADV bike
    Logger06 likes this.
  14. Logger06

Logger06 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not as an “only” bike for me. My eye opener was that I’ve got a club i joined a few miles down the road. 400 acres of very challenging single track.

I took my XT250 out there to see if I liked that kind of riding. I lasted about 30 minutes as was completely wore out from the combo of 300 lb bike and not enough power / suspension to get through the rougher parts.

I then rode a friends 300 and it was night and day. That bike instantly made a better rider of me and took FAR less effort to ride in the junk. So I made the decision to buy the 2nd bike (300XC) for the club riding and keep my XT250 for general messing around, light trails, light road.

So, for me, I don’t believe any dual sport bike would be good for the club riding. If the trails were easier, ya for sure. But no 300 lb or heavier bike would do well out there in my opinion (and skill).

If you’ve got kinder trails, I’d say go for it, the 300’s are very appealing for sure.

* ask around for better qualified opinions, I’ve only been back into this for about a year after a 35 year break. *
  15. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    I find that interesting. I don't know the XC - maintenance and reliability, from owners' reports, have me shy away from KTM stuff. But I had a Versys 300X - and while it was fully competent as a grocery-getter, and even serviceable as a day tourer, it was NOT up to snuff on even two-track lightly-challenging stuff.

Trying the XT, as I was drawn by the simplicity, the lack of cladding and no radiator...it was an eye-opener. I'm not a hard-core off-roader. Two-track and forest-service trails are my limits. I've ridden into a few baby-head fields, and, as I was alone, it was not so enjoyable. Too much to go wrong.

But I find the suspension much better; the lighter weight a joy. How about getting to the good stuff? Not so much. But that's the compromises one makes, these days. A 350 single would be great; but a 350 single with air-cooling probably wouldn't comply with emissions standards. Plus, the running gear would have to be beefed up for the extra power, and there goes the weight savings.

With my kind of riding, though, the XT does great both on light off-road use and in town - the potholed, ruined streets that today are the norm.
    Logger06 likes this.
  16. Logger06

Logger06 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no plans to get rid of my XT250, I love the thing. The two bikes are just different tools for different jobs.

Keep in mind on the 300XC, that is a VERY powerful 2-stroke bike. Way more power out of that thing than you’d get from a 300 four stroke.
    CaseyJones likes this.
  17. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    My mistake. As the porcupine said, climbing off the toilet brush.

Like I mentioned...the KTM line is just a little rich for my blood.

Price of admission...and the cost of keeping things up. Nope...I leave them to the committed dirt-bike crowd.
    Logger06 likes this.
  18. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Don't think the Versys 300X bike is anything like their new KLX 300. The KLX is a true dual sport, weighing in at only a little more than our XTs, at 302 lbs, while the new Versys X 300 ABS tips the scales at 386 lbs, and is more of an adventure bike (though I never figured out why these heavier machines are supposed to be better for adventures). The KLX also has a lot more suspension travel, but it'd be nice to know that a gas tank comparable with the one on the Versys would be available.
    Logger06 likes this.
  19. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    I like to think I know a lot about a lot of things...but I try to know what I don't know.

And I don't know a thing about KTMs. They're for the committed riders, of whatever flavor...

Too many questions within that brand, and too high a price on admission. So I leave it to others.

As to why heavier equals "Adventure": Part of it is the cladding, which, ideally, should serve as wind protection. Sometimes it does.

But the Versys, too, had too many compromises. Mostly of the difficulty of maintenance; and then, the unfortunate suspension. Good for paved roads. Good for bottoming out when things get rough.
    Logger06 and GonzoDirtso like this.
  20. Logger06

Logger06 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going full circle - the simplicity of the XT250 is a thing of absolute beauty!
    CaseyJones, Milano.B and NewEnglander like this.