1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha XT500

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by TimberlineAdventure, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow I love that header, what a score to have one!
  2. motocrossross

motocrossross Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember buying a 2" full header and S-bend from Powroll back in the day for $35, and $35 for a SuperTrapp. That pipe cost $200 a few months ago, and seemed cheap to me. The guy had 2 left, message me if you want his info.
  3. Old Smokey

Oddometer:
    Hi yes, please DM me his info! That'd be awesome.
  4. Old fart

Old fart Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer:
    The bigger headers seem to loose torque low range
  5. motocrossross

Oddometer:
    Yes, the 2" pipe I had back in the 80's was softer low end power, and a little stronger above 5000 rpms.
    I went over the rear wheel on my '79, it had a bunch of loose spokes, and one very slight ding. I figured I'd have to buy new spokes, they were pretty rusty. I gave them a 4 day soak in WD40, and was shocked when every spoke nipple turned with ease. So the rear wheel is ready with a new used knobby. I might take it for a little backroadblaze tomorrow if it's not too cold.
  6. Wheelborne

Wheelborne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody have an idea of what a titled '77 frame in good shape should go for?
  7. brg

brg 1977 XT500, 2000 ST1100, 1995 r100r Mystic

Oddometer:
    I think for a good frame with a title and no DMV problems it would be worth what someone would pay for it. I know here in Ca. if i needed one I would pay around $150.00 or so. I gave away a whole good running SR500 because i couldn't get a title for it without massive back fees and never could find a titled frame to swap over to. Just depends on your state and what you're willing to pay. At some price point you might find a ratty like bike with a titled frame and as a bonus have lots of spares.
    plugeye likes this.
  8. motocrossross

Oddometer:
    The TT500 I pieced together last winter doesn't have a title.... I know the guy who it was titled to last, but can't seem to get him to send the paper work in. So it's a limbo bike. (Like limbo tires, too good to throw away, but not good enough to mount).

IMG_20190816_172004773.jpg
  9. Wheelborne

Wheelborne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks man! Actually was wondering because I have a frame and was weighing out whether it was worth the legwork to get a title for it and sell it down the road. Fortunately here in VA it's a pretty painless process. We can claim it as "abandoned" , do a VIN search (almost guaranteed older VIN records have been purged from the system), wait ~30 days and you've got a clean title.
  10. Wheelborne

Wheelborne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you'd like to get a title for it let me know, I may be able to help. I helped my buddy out in Oregon get a title for his TT through the DMV here and signed the title over to him. Pretty dead simple process here.
    plugeye likes this.
  11. tommymerle

tommymerle advwanabee Supporter

Oddometer:
    don't throw it away, I'll give you $30.00 for it
  12. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    very generous of you haha
  13. motocrossross

Oddometer:
    I made a little progress on the '79 XT, new seat cover and foam, painted side panels, and worked the front fender over with my pocket knife! The fender was still covered in plastic oxidation in the pic. IMG_20200215_162135897_HDR.jpg
    nerone and plugeye like this.
  14. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boy that brings back memories. I bought '79 XT in '85 with 400 miles on it. Kept it for about 5 years and sold it like a complete fool. It was totaled within a month in a car vs bike incident. Sad.
  15. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    That's because the gas velocity is slower in a larger diameter pipe.
    But, the larger pipe doesn't constrict gas flow as much as a smaller dia pipe when the RPM's come up past the threshold of what the smaller dia pipe can flow...

It's always a trade-off. Just depends on what you want from your engine. (It also depends on the intake side as well.)
    Nothing is ever easy nor "black & white."
  16. motocrossross

Oddometer:
    I put 30 miles on the '79 XT Sunday afternoon. I was hoping the oil consumption would subside, no such luck. I guess I'll pull the motor out and do the top end, and it needs a cam chain anyway. Probably all of the 41 year old seals need replaced while it's on the work bench. I have a cylinder already bored to fit a wiseco 88mm 10/1 piston, and a head ready to go also, but the head is a '77, smaller intake valve and shorter cooling fins. I guess the '79 should keep it's original head. The dual feed oil line was a piece of cake to install, and cheap insurance at $80.
  17. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    76-79 valves should be the same
  18. motocrossross

Oddometer:
    Some of the '79s got the big intake valve. I'll find out when I get it apart, mine is a late in the production run bike..... I have an '80 model in my hourde that was built 5/'79. My '79 was built 12/78.
  19. Old Smokey

Oddometer:
    I finished up the pipe on my '77 XT500. It's a stainless Flow header (1-3/4" inches) with a Cone Engineering 'big mouth' open core pipe. The engine has the bigger 2J2 valve fitted, and a TM36-68 carb with the stock airbox and UNI air filter. 251-40 cam. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet as it's still snowy outside. I'm curious to see how the low-end will turn out with this combo - bigger header, but also bigger intake with a 'torque' cam. Oh, and the piston is a 89mm 10:1 wiseco. So I hope those mods will more than make up for the looses a bigger pipe would cause on a stock engine. Should thump pretty good I figure.

Attached Files:

20. motocrossross

Oddometer:
    How did you mate your big carb to the stock air box? I have a 36mm, and a 38mm from a trade last weekend. Traded an old high point carbine for a couple parts bikes..... The red frame klunker is a SR500 that was made into some kind pulling tractor, it had a 4 wheeler front end, ... Has a dual feed oil line, hopefully more goodies inside the motor. The one with the yellow tt tank is actually a '76 XT, with 77tt motor... Geez, it's a sickness. My buddy says I need an intervention.
    ]2153837[/ATTACH] IMG_20200222_184603090_HDR.jpg

Attached Files:

Old Smokey likes this.