Yamaha XT500

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by TimberlineAdventure, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn’t have any issues using the stock rubber hose and clamps between the carb and airbox. I used a new manifold on the engine side of course.

IMG_6915.jpg IMG_6930.jpg IMG_6931.jpg
    JohnE65c likes this.
  2. motocrossross

motocrossross Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    norton73 and montesa_vr like this.
  3. Old Smokey

Oddometer:
    XT owners - does anyone have a spare right footpeg bracket? That little post that connects the actual footpeg to the frame? I've got a left, but no right side.
  4. motocrossross

Oddometer:
    I'm sure I have several of them. I'll look and get back to you.
  5. Old Smokey

Oddometer:
    ah no way, that would be excellent!! Let me know and shoot me a PM with details.
  6. Old Smokey

Oddometer:
    Getting very close now. Tomorrow I start hooking up the 12V conversion and Rex ignition. I’ll be installing early TT600 signals as well.

IMG_7362.jpg

The gas tank cap was off eBay and it’s garbage. Almost impossible to screw on. I’m having a hard time finding a proper cap. Anyone know where to find one? Even a billet cap would be ok.
  7. Michel59

Michel59 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cmsnl.com have them in stock, there are for the XT500, guess are suitable for the TT too.
    Can you give me some info on your motorcycle lift? I have searched with 'RED ROCK' name but no success. I have limited space and yours seems not too big.
    Thanks!
  8. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    have you tried mark at thumperstuff?
    looking great, i especially dig the lift its on
  9. Old Smokey

Oddometer:
    XT and TT tanks had two styles of gas caps depending on the year and material of the tank. Either female or male threads. My tank has male threads, and I can only find gas caps with male threads. I need a female cap, which is proving more difficult than expected!

The lift was purchased from Princess Auto two years ago. From what I know, they were being made in small batches by a guy in Quebec I think, somewhere in Canada for sure, for Princess Auto. They stopped selling them sadly, and are focusing on their much cheaper quality conventional moto lifts. I got this one sale for $200, normal $450 or something. They appear to be based on a Kendon lift, which are still available.

This little lift is super strong and sturdy.. I have a '75 naked Goldwing and a XR650L, both are no issue for the lift. It can be raised with a hydraulic foot pump or via compressed air, though my compressor is too small to power it effectively. The deck is quite narrow, making it a little inconvenient as a work surface, so I made a little plywood deck that clamps between the two wheels.

When not in use, it folds up and can be rolled and stowed against the wall. It takes up maybe 1 square foot of floor space that way. Perfect for a little single garage like mine. The lift legs are a big on the skinny side, but I've never felt it was tippy. Plus the legs are hollow pipe - if I was ever concerned that a really heavy bike might make it sway, I can run some bar stock or pipe through the feet, effectively making them as wide as I want.
    plugeye likes this.
  10. motocrossross

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200319_172000532.jpg Old Smokey, have you fired it up yet? How's it run? Mine is ready to go back in.
  11. Old Smokey

Oddometer:
    Nice!

I haven't yet. It's all ready to go, just waiting on some warmer weather. Seems like spring is arriving this week though, so it'll be soon. Last night I reset the valve clearances (I had set them to stock, but it needs different specs for the cam I used, forgot about that), installed my battery, mounted the turn signals, and put a locking gas cap on. The gas cap doesn't look great, but it actually keeps the gas in lol. The reproduction cap I had wouldn't even screw half way down. Just junk.

So maybe next weekend for a break-in run...
  12. motocrossross

Oddometer:
    My '79 is back together, the gas tank sprang a leak, so my '76 tank is on for now. I put 38 miles on it friday. It runs mucho bettero. I still have the fork seals, boots, and steering head bearings to do. And fresh rubber..... Maybe some shocks... IMG_20200326_204145110.jpg
    Mr Puffin, Chevette and plugeye like this.
  13. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    20200319_161225.jpg
    motocrossross and Chevette like this.
  14. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    20200319_161206.jpg
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  15. motocrossross

Oddometer:
    Plugeye, I lived in south Texas from '81-'87, worked for a seismic exploration company, and then on a triple drilling rig out in Brenham/College Station area. I have family in Conroe as well. Cheers!
    plugeye likes this.
  16. ReidCycles

ReidCycles Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. motocrossross

Oddometer:
    Its getting closer, still have the fork seals and steering head bearings to tackle. IMG_20200406_211529641.jpg
    nerone and Old Smokey like this.
  18. Old Smokey

Oddometer:
    Looking great man, almost there!

Snow is melting and looks like I should be able to fire up the bike today if work isn’t too busy

IMG_7795.jpg
  19. motocrossross

Oddometer:
  20. Old Smokey

Oddometer:
    What a beauty @motocrossross I love it! How is that pipe for volume? I took my XT out on its first break-in ride and the open Cone Eng pipe I have sounds absolutely majestic, but it's so loud that kids ran screaming when I rode through my neighbourhood. I'm going to keep it, but since the muffler slips on over the header, I think I should get a second "in town" option. I was going to get the same Trapp you've got. Seems like it would still thump good, but not get me pulled over instantly.