Yamaha XT500

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by TimberlineAdventure, Mar 29, 2008.

1. g®eg

g®eg Canadian living in exile

Oddometer:
    Checked the valves today.... so tight :baldy
    Couldn’t get a feeler in there.

So I went thru the steps and adjusted for the middle of the range.

It started after I was done so I didn’t mess it up too much

I had the carb out again since I found over at XT500.co carb settings for the TT carb I think it has to put my clip on spot 4 (instead of 3 where I had it)

While I had that apart I had a close look at the slide.... looks like someone previously ground the opening. I think it’s supposed to be 4mm but to my eye on bench with a small ruler I’d say it’s closer to 6mm now.

Not sure of the impact that has on tuning, and I suppose I may have to get a new slide.

Always something.

then
    Took it for a spin today
    Sort of popping and farting after warmed up at part throttle opening.
    Pulled the plug after the ride and it’s essentially clean, so maybe a bit lean?

Seems to pull ok off the start and if I go WTO, it seems fine.

I’m thinking the filed, larger opening on the slide has the effect of making the bike leaner?

I read a page about mods on the pumper carb that talks about filing 0.05” off the flat part of the slide to make the opening a bit narrower. I’m thinking of maybe doing that simply to get back to around stock (4mm)?

this bit: Vonderhey: I am not aware of any richer slides (with smaller cut-aways) available for the stock SR carbs, so a modification is in order.... File .050" off the bottom of the slide, making sure that the bottom edges are square with the slide and that all sharp edges are slightly bevelled and smooth. Don't file the cut-away area, just file the bottom of the slide where it contacts the carb-body. The mixture should now be improved from idle to 1/4 throttle and the spitting-back and hesitating should disappear.

Of course the other option would just be to get the carb it is supposed to have (pretty sure this 1T1-60 is actually a TT carb)

So, if money wasn’t an issue, what carb would you say would be the most / easiest plug and play?

Most of the round slide ones I see online have a single throttle cable, and of course I have a push / pull setup. I’d like to stick with that if possible.

Anyway, seems to be going ok
    Ordered the gasket for the flywheel side cover.... when I pulled the cover off to get ready to do the valve check, my flywheel was so rusty I had to clean it up just to see the marks... sheesh
    plugeye likes this.
  2. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    eg">
    TM36-68 is on my xt and has been very easy to jet. It came pre jetted and was almost perfect. It’s a flat slide with a pumper so it ups the fun factor. Not cheap though.
  3. g®eg

Oddometer:

this one?
    https://www.thevintagespoke.com/sho...mper-Flat-Slide-Carburetor-1-093-x4522368.htm

geez... almost 400 notes.. ouch

although cheaper ones on eBay I guess... https://www.ebay.com/p/171189984

I did figure out that the "4" on the slide means 4/16" not 4mm
    so even tho the gap looks filed, it isn't.

I figure I'll get there in the end
    more bits and pieces arriving this week
  4. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's the one

However I bought it directly from Mikuni Australia. They gave the cheapest price but on top of that, the Australian dollar is very weak. I'm in Canada and am used to always getting burned by currency exchange, so it was a very unusual experience to actually save a ton of money from exchange. If you're in the US you would save a ton more than I did. Worth checking it out at least... It came with a throttle tube, cables, carb and intake manifold, and I ordered a couple extra pilot and main jets in leaner and richer variants just incase. I ended up needing them when I changed from an open pipe to Supertrapp.
  5. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    the VM36 is said to be a good all-arounder for the 500. takes a different throttle & cable though
  6. g®eg

Oddometer:

my brother lives in BC (and I'm ex-pat) so I hear the pain of the CDN peso...
    I'll check out Mikuni Oz. They do seem pretty switched on

thx.
  7. g®eg

Oddometer:
    different push-pull cable than I already have for the 1T1-60?
    interesting... I figured it was the same setup. I believe I have the Kedo replica set of open / close on there (PO bought them and handed to me w/ the bike)
  8. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    this is basically it:
    [​IMG]
    a single cable through the top cap
  9. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
  10. g®eg

Oddometer:

ah OK

says: Applications: YAMAHA *Does not fit w/ OEM AIR BOX; replace with K&N Clamp On; see bottom of page for matching Turbo Throttle Kit, K&N Clamp On Air Filter, and Intake Manifold

so since I have a pristine airbox, that I'd like to stay with, that's out
    I am going to keep working on dialing in the 1T1-60

[​IMG]
    plugeye likes this.
  11. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    yep, its what i did with my XT500D stamped 1T2-60. yours is a TT500D or TT500E
    g®eg likes this.
  12. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    if you have interest, i have a new unused K&N YA-1100 filter for the stock box at a decent price
    https://www.knfilters.com/ya-1100-replacement-air-filter
    g®eg likes this.
  13. g®eg

Oddometer:
    let me get back to you on that
    the PO put a new foam one in there, along with doing a new (or possibly replica) stock airbox
  14. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    20201102_133951.jpg
    breather improvement
    g®eg likes this.