Yamaha XT660R - Swap for a more comfortable seat?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by momo034, Sep 30, 2020.

1. momo034

momo034 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, I am planning a trip through East Africa, I had my heart set on a DR650 but they are just too hard to find where I live (Spain), so I am now considering an XT660R.

But I will be traveling two-up and I know the girl sitting behind me will loathe the seat. Does anyone know of an easy solution to change out the seat for something more comfortable?

And in general any thoughts on this bike for such a trip? (We will of course be doing some off-road but we do not "seek it out" so to speak....I am guessing we will be 75% on asphalt 25% off-road).

I know I will need a bigger gas tank but seems that is not hard to arrange.
  2. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Airhawk.
  3. momo034

momo034 n00b

Oddometer:
    The problem I have with the Airhawk cushions for the kind of travel I want to do is that it is just one more thing that I have to remove from the motorcycle everytiem I walk away from it so as not to have it stolen. Otherwise they seem like a great product.
  4. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    That being the case, your only other true option is to get the seat re-made. Probably needs a wider base in the back part of each position as well as different foam. Think Russell Day-Long - very expensive and not sure about shipment to your location. Another option: re-make just the foam/cover. You might be able to get a local auto upholstery shop to work with you or you can go with a ready-made solution (https://seatconcepts.com/collections/yamaha/products/yamaha-2008-14-xtz660z-tenere). It will not be as comfortable as the RDL (because of the same seat base) but might work and be less expensive. Or you can try to graft-on an old proven seat design (like the old BMW seats that look like large cruiser bicycle seats, or seats made for law enforcement use) which may be comfortable but will probably look unsightly - but maybe that's OK if it's just for the trip.