Yamaha YZ 250 2018 Two Smoke!

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by WildAnCrazymtl, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Hipower90

Hipower90 I’ve breathed the mtn air, man

Oddometer:
    I took the Rekluse Core 3 out of the 05 (on left just above) yesterday, after a few months of trying to like it. Absolutely hated it. Lost too much low rpm control in the hard rocky tech.
  2. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    I've had a Z Start Pro for a while. I like it at low RPM in the hard, rocky tech, especially late in the day after I'm beat. I think the Rekluse are all about setup (adjustment). Maybe it helps that my bike is set up to be a low-mid tractor.
  3. Hipower90

Oddometer:
    I dont think I ever had it dialed maybe. Found out I sometimes want total engagement even at idle. I couldn’t feel the traction on wet green rocks, etc so to speak.
  4. WildAnCrazymtl

WildAnCrazymtl Political Prisoner

Oddometer:
    People's Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
    That's cool! The newer ones now are still based on that model year... You must have done the top end once in those ten years?
  5. Hipower90

Oddometer:
    Bucho likes this.
  6. Yard Sale

Oddometer:
    Yes I've done top ends a few times. My schedule is rings every 50 hours, complete top end every 100, but after my last two ring gap measurements, I decided not to bother with rings at 50. My piston clearance doesn't open up much at 100 either, I just change it in case of metal fatigue.
    WildAnCrazymtl likes this.
  7. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I was wondering that. Yamaha has never stopped building 250 and 125 2 strokes,and KTM even builds their modern versions with electric start and continually updated bikes and engines. 2 strokes never went away.
  8. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    2 strokes arent thumpers. 4 strokes are thumpers.
  9. Yard Sale

Oddometer:
    That doesn't prevent the existence of mega threads for two stroke single dirt bikes like the KTM 300 thread, for lack of a better home.
  10. Yard Sale

Oddometer:
    I'm back from a week in Moab, where I rode my 2006 YZ250 for 6 of 7 days. More or less the same bike as the 2018, and very close to the X model, it worked fantastically at Moab, again. This is its second trip to Moab. Utterly reliable, able to lug down to idle RPMs, gobs of torque, instant power available any time, able to find traction, light and maneuverable, great suspension.

[​IMG]

In a week of riding, its only issues were an axle adjuster came loose, an aftermarket graphic peeled off an aftermarket shroud, and some spooge seeped from the aftermarket silencer and pipe. Set up for climbing rock ledges, it ran out of gearing on the roads. I will correct that with a wide ratio 5th gear when the crank finally needs replacing, whenever that may be.

If this were stolen or lost in a fire today, I would have a hard time choosing its replacement, a YZ250X or a Gasser EC250.
  11. Hipower90

Oddometer:
    Last week racing open 60+ at the Zombie hare scrambles at Highland Park in west Ga. First dirt bike race after a 34yr hiatus. Ended up 4th/8. Had an absolute blast.

Oh, and the YZ ripped!
    2A0491E0-B1B6-4C1E-A501-01309A65CC3E.jpeg A8ACC05B-DE54-45C6-B33F-114F22EC3230.jpeg
  12. WildAnCrazymtl

Oddometer:
    @Hipower90

Too friggen cool! Congrats on the race! Did you feel 16 again? That is the rush I will be chasing next year when I get mine. I have secured financing and approval from the CEO and board of directors (the wife) so it’s a done deal. Now I must chose between the X model or the straight YZ....
    Hipower90 likes this.
  13. Hipower90

Oddometer:
    If you’ve racing MX, get the YZ. For everything else get the X. I love my X. Plusher suspension, smoother easier to use power delivery, reserve fuel position on petcock, kick stand, 18” wheel, o-ring chain, and that sweet WR gearbox.
    BBB7D042-DECC-4316-ABAD-B1E11D03026F.jpeg
    jimmy da fish, slideways and Bucho like this.
  14. Hipower90

Oddometer:
    WildAnCrazymtl and Bucho like this.
  15. WildAnCrazymtl

Oddometer:
    I may do a bit of track, however the convience of a kick stand, a reserve and a WR gearbox are big selling points. I will also do a lot of logging roads. One dealer close by has a true MX for $1500 off cause it’s last year’s bike. So I hope he sells it so I can justify the X model... lolll
  16. Hipower90

Oddometer:
    It’ll do mx duty just fine if called upon. It still rips, as it’s still very much a race bike. Just go up the clickers a bit and you’d be gtg.

Main other thing would be the big ish jump from the lower 3rd to the taller 4th. Especially with the tall showroom gearing. Again, a very small price to pay for all the dividends when riding offroad.
  17. WildAnCrazymtl

Oddometer:
    That big jump jump will be no big deal, if I am that good, I will buy and modify another MX bike. I want to have fun fucking around logging roads and all the sand pits and wood trails. I want to feel 16 again riding almost the exact bike I had way back then. Just listening to your video gives me goosebumps. It takes me back to that time when I was an indestructible kid. :lol3
    Hipower90 likes this.
  18. Yard Sale

Oddometer:
    Rode my 2006 Sat. and Sun., the former in mostly hero dirt and the latter in mostly snow and very loose soil. The weather was forecast to be cold and I was thinking of fattening up the jetting, but I'm glad I didn't, because it ran perfect. I didn't even adjust the air screw from Moab.

[​IMG]
  19. WildAnCrazymtl

Oddometer:
  20. WildAnCrazymtl

Oddometer:
    Here’s the deal. I was expecting the dealer to have sold the straight MX bike by now. It is still there for $6600 brand spanking new. It is a 2017, a 2019 is $8200. Is there any way I can justify paying $8400 for a 2019 250X. Has anyone riden a true MX bile enduro style in trails and shit. Will it overheat after a while. I plan to ride it in sand pits and logging roads and everything in between. I really wanted to order an X model but an 1800$ deal is really tuff to pass up. Any and all advice welcome...