Yamaha YZ 250 2018 Two Smoke!

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by WildAnCrazymtl, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    I keep trying to figure out a LHRB and can't come up with a solution.
  2. WildAnCrazymtl

WildAnCrazymtl Political Prisoner

Oddometer:
    People's Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
    Excuse my naivety, but what is that black part in the center of the bars?
  3. Yard Sale

Oddometer:
    That's a hard foam protective cover over the Scotts steering damper. I often bump my chest into it. I don't think they are available any longer.
  4. WildAnCrazymtl

Oddometer:
    Thanks! By the way cool video, the scenery there is gorgeous. Next time in the area I would like to ride from Vegas to Reno...
  5. Yard Sale

Oddometer:
    I rode both days this past weekend and traded bikes a couple times, another 06 YZ250 and a 09 KTM 300. My YZ makes more low end power (milled head with Gnarly pipe) with a smoother power band and is comparable to the 300 power band. The 300 immediately felt like a tank, just heavy and slow handling. It also had a fatty front tire. I think the other YZ did too, though.

6. A_Vasiliev

A_Vasiliev Red, white and blue.

Oddometer:
    Looks like a steering damper to me.
    WildAnCrazymtl likes this.
  7. WildAnCrazymtl

Oddometer:
    Finally got mine last weekend, got to ride it for about an hour. It’s fast, surprised me fast...
    I just got through the break-in tank. The suspension felt nice, I had it sprung to my weight. I am still getting used to it. My only complaint is it would not idle. I had to screw in the idle screw about five turns so it would not stall. My dealer says this clears up after a few tanks of gas.
    nacho squatcho likes this.
  8. nacho squatcho

nacho squatcho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joined the YZ250X camp a few weeks ago. The only things I’ve had the chance to do so far are some much needed maintenance and wash it. Obligatory trail pics to follow.

3EA6737A-5C64-4641-B4B0-15ECBE0E4DB6.jpeg
    Hipower90 and WildAnCrazymtl like this.
  9. turbo_bird

turbo_bird I'd rather be riding.

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a yz250 too, first 2 stroke for me. I've ridden a few over the years, but never enough to really get used to them and not one I could call my own. Mine is a 2007, so not an x. It was cheap enough I can afford to throw a few bucks at it, and rough enough I won't feel bad about dropping it. The first couple days with it were teardown, cleaning, and maintenance. It seems solid, and I've probably run a tank of fuel through it now, in about 4.5 hours of riding. It's got a Clarke tank, so that was a nice bonus. I dropped my pilot jet to a 45 so it doesn't load up so bad when I'm just putting around, still working on getting the idle speed and air screw where they need to be. It's a lot of fun to ride though, wish I'd bought one a long time ago.
    IMG_20190903_140752-1600x1200.jpg
    IMG_20190905_111752-1600x1200.jpg
    I'm definitely going to need rads and a pipe, probably this winter I'm thinking. The pipe is wrapped around the frame and about half squished, but it seems to run not too bad still.
    IMG_20190903_123946-1200x1600.jpg
    Kristian
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I've got one of those! One day I'll actually fix it so I can ride the damn thing...I've only had it for 6 years:D

yz2502.JPG
  11. nacho squatcho

Oddometer:
    Finally got the YZ out for a ride yesterday. I instantly felt more confident on this bike than my previous KTM 350 EXC-F. Still trying to figure out the carburetor tuning but it wasn’t bad at all, and I’m still fighting with a grabby clutch (I’ve changed out everything except the clutch shaft and linkage) that will sometimes cause a stall or a flame out. So far, kick starting hasn’t been an issue and this is considering that I had to kick it in some pretty crappy spots yesterday. I love this bike!

66A9B7AC-1D45-428E-A4CF-9744E1CE6A24.jpeg E178268C-CD9E-40C7-A15C-842DB54694D5.jpeg 5D18B326-7044-4D32-BD86-3C50806365C3.jpeg
  12. turbo_bird

Oddometer:
    I've been farting around on mine, lots of fun. So much easier to throw around in the bush than my XR650R. Guys I used to work with built a little enduro park at work, as well as a nasty single track loop. Unfortunately I just started a new job and don't get to do cool stuff like that anymore, but I do have some pretty cool trails right behind my house. In the first video I was having issues getting the idle dialed in, kept stalling it when I backed off too much and pulled the clutch in. Much better now though, and with a smaller pilot jet it doesn't seem to load up as much in the slow stuff. Ordered a set of Chinese eBay rads for $100 and an FMF Gnarly for it, a couple steps closer to getting it back into shape. I still need to replace the linkage bearings too. I out a Tubliss in the rear and a Shinko 505, so nice having actual traction.

Kristian
  13. nacho squatcho

Oddometer:
    Man, how nice it must be to ride right by your house. I have to drive at least 1.5 hours to get somewhere decent. Here's a video of our ride Saturday. I didn't get most of the ride since my camera battery died early on. I have to adjust my helmet mount too as it was pointing down.
    mf13368 likes this.
  14. turbo_bird

Oddometer:
    I do have about the coolest back yard ever. Sometimes I think I should drive to the popular riding spots around my area and see what I'm missing, but I've got it pretty good. Lots of places I can make more trails too, and open enough country that new trails pretty much just means riding the same line through the brush a bunch of times. Handy for the kids too, my son is too young to really want to ride for hours on end, so I can go out for a quick lap or 2 of some easy trails with him, then go ride some tougher stuff on my own without worrying about him.
    Kristian
  15. turbo_bird

Oddometer:
    Was out again today on my own, and had a blast. Put a shiny new FMF Gnarly pipe on it today, seems to run good. Feels maybe a bit more 4 stroke ish on the power spread than before, but it's still definitely a two stroke and will never have the same torque off idle as my XR650R. I also bought a complete bolt kit from Spec Bolts, because I hate working on bikes with random hardware everywhere.
    I definitely need to work on hillclimber, I wiped out a few times today. I uploaded a video of one of the better ones, I'm glad I managed to grab the log beside the trail and stop tumbling down the hill. The other video here is mostly single track heading up the mountain right behind my house. I can even see my house from the top. This thing is such a fun bike for riding like this, I wish I'd bought one years ago. Could use a kick stand though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kristian
    bkoz and nacho squatcho like this.
  16. Yard Sale

Oddometer:
    The 2006 continues to impress after I brought it out of storage for the upcoming Fall and Winter riding season.

Rock garden at walking speed:

Six Days of Moab (5 days on YZ250):
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/six-days-of-moab-fall-2019.1411095/

The Shinko 505 rear was stellar once again. The Rekluse was awesome as always. The bike started first kick when warm, except after being upside down. The forks could be plusher on the small, slow chop. There's an overabundance of power for trolling along gnarly trails, but the low end power is accessible and usable without spinning up the tire. When I got out on dry dirt roads, the tire would spin easily.

I am going to have to take a serious look at the YZ125X, after the Beta 200RR missed the mark.
  17. nacho squatcho

Oddometer:
    Bowling ball trail would be a good name for that one.
    That YZ makes a lot of noises! :-)
  18. Hipower90

Hipower90 I’ve breathed the mtn air, man

Oddometer:
    Today. 18x. NC mtns.

7699A8FA-8E6D-4594-BE57-2E105BF7EF1C.jpeg
    Yard Sale, aptbldr and snarlyjohn like this.
  19. sbk750

sbk750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello , maybe its not the right topic but maybe someone help me a little , i wanna change the piston kit on my yz 250 2001 and i see this , i have a little axial movement on the crank inside the case , its little but its there , have any idea if its normal ? Tx for any info.
  20. Hipower90

Hipower90 I’ve breathed the mtn air, man

Oddometer:
    Last Thursday on my 18 YZ x.

Same climb. Just a different ride.

FF6FD208-45D2-4003-B502-5500C844447F.jpeg