Yamaha YZ 250 2018 Two Smoke!

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by WildAnCrazymtl, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    nacho squatcho likes this.
  2. nacho squatcho

nacho squatcho Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Yard Sale If you don’t mind me asking, how much $ did you have into the bike for parts for that rebuild? Did you do the crank yourself?
  3. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    I don't recall how much I spent, it wasn't cheap, but it wasn't as much as a 4 stroke. I had my original crank rebuilt by a local shop. That shop labor for crank and cylinder replating was the most expensive aspect of the rebuild, besides the parts.
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Might be getting carried away just a little bit here.
    The PDS on KTM's was improved hugely starting in 2008,and has gotten better every year since. There's a reason they tend to win just about every off road series out there,because they work. Newer the better. I like Yamaha's and have had quite a few,the 250X is a nice bike no doubt.
    Once you ride a modern bike with 6 speed,etc, and button start,it's "really" hard to go back to the kickety kick routine. Especially on tight trail.
    Ive tried it.
  5. bkoz

bkoz test

Oddometer:
    I have a '17 KTM and an '06 YZ250 that I have converted into an X.

The KTM has hundreds of dollars invested into the shock including aftermarket pistons. The YZ has a $10 worth of shims and $20 worth of oil. The YZ rear end blows the KTM out of the water in every situation. It works better in slow speed situations and is MUCH better in rough high speed sections. Add in the fact that the XPLOR shock needs more frequent servicing and is harder to service and the YZ is a winner by a long shot.

I routinely swap between my KTM and YZ for PNW single track. It is not hard all to go back and forth between the two. The YZ/YZX is a very, very capable platform. Especially when you add in the $1000's in savings over the Gastoomskies.
    nacho squatcho and turbo_bird like this.
  6. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    It varies according to taste,good suspension for one guy might suck for another. KTM builds a linkage bike,and a PDS bike. If neither could be made to work great they wouldnt have dominated at off road races for so many years.
    Really the kickstarter is a deal breaker. Bikes dont have those anymore,kickstarting a bike on the side of the cliff of doom,is just asking for it.

Yamaha should have stepped up to the 10 plate years ago. Why would you have both bikes if the old Yamaha is SO much better at everything?
  7. nacho squatcho

nacho squatcho Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a ‘14 KTM 350 EXC-F and I would take the X over it in any off road situation, every time. The only thing I missed about the KTM was having a license plate. My pumpkin had the open chamber forks which are well liked by many, and I eventually found compromise settings on the forks and shock that worked ok (but not great) for me...but the X just honestly just works so much better for me in every way (suspension, engine, gearing, weight...). The X can pull its taller gearing due to more power, but my KTM had to be geared low just to be able to use 2nd and that basically made 1st useless.

Now, don’t get me wrong...I’d happily try a new 2021 350 or even an orange 2T and maybe it would be a totally different experience for me as I hear they make more power and have better suspension, but just comparing what I’ve owned here.

Also, kickstarting the X is a non issue for me.
  8. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Kickstarters..............much like hand cranks on cars,are a thing of the past.
    They are not an advantage or any fun. Reaching down,and flipping one out,maybe having to find neutral,and kicking the bike to start it in who knows what sort of condition on trail.

It's great Yamaha kept producing 2 strokes but dang,progress marches on. My last new KTM was a 2014 300 XCW,it worked pretty good right out of the box for the tight trails around here,just a JD jet kit. I rode a 350 about the same vintage,and yeah I wouldnt pick one of those for a bike for me.
    I couldnt see any advantage to it.
    Like all 4 strokes there's a rebuild bill coming sooner than later. Bicycles have taken over spare time for the time being.
  9. bkoz

bkoz test

Oddometer:
    The KTM has a plate. And it came first.

In my opinion the PDS only has 1 advantage over the linkage, and that is ground clearance. As far as suspension action the linkage will win every time. That's why every other manufacture including Husky, KTM and Gas Gas run linkages.

The PDS can be made to work very well but the window will be limited compared to a linkage.

And personally, e start is a luxury, not mandatory. There was technical trail riding before e starts became a thing. Kicker's are also reliable and lightweight.

It is too bad that Yamaha did not offer e start on the YZX. They missed the boat on that one.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  10. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Sure enough,I hear guys all the time wishing they still were kicking their bike to start it.

The trick with PDS is it's made for tight trailriding,it's the XCW model. The XC model has linkage for other pursuits.
    Different horse for courses. Late model PDS does indeed work very well for trailriding,most really like it. No rebuilding linkage,more ground clearance in a crucial area,5lb lighter weight. The whole XCW bike is built from the ground up as a trailbike. Yamaha needs work,and will never have a 6 speed,or a button start,or a balancer in the engine,or a steel clutch basket,hydraulic actuated clutch,top quality gears,or euro quality engine parts.

I see,maybe 1 Yamaha 250 for every 15 KTM's out on trails or at enduros. Around here I dont see any Yamaha's,they dont seem to sell.
    It seems like the YZ 250's I see for sale always have "total engine rebuild" as a selling pitch. In general they dont seem to last as long as a euro bike engine.
    Ive seen a trailridden KTM 300 crank go 800 hours with proper care.
    Im not really sure the aftermarket cranks that end up in used bikes are such a great thing.

No doubt the YZ250 is light and has good suspension,its a MX bike set up for trail somewhat. If Honda had kept making 2 strokes they would still probably sell about as good as a YZ250 does. Yamaha was smart to keep building the things. Guys must really like em or they wouldnt buy em.
  11. bkoz

bkoz test

Oddometer:
    Despite all this the YZ is a great bike. I know this because I OWN both a YZ and KTM...