Yamaha YZ250X 2016 non-review

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by B1, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reviews Greco! Well done and informative.

Question for you about the bike? I'll describe the type of riding I do and would like your opinion on whether it would be suitable at all.

I have a 2000 acre cattle ranch and go out riding every couple of days to check my cows. Tho I'm in Eastern Washington State the area is very East Coast-ish. 1st gear, baby head rocks, roots, tree limbs, steep climbs and decents in and out of rock valleys. Also chasing cattle at walking speed with short bursts to get ahead of one that trys to get away. There are some fire road type transition areas between pastures that I'd like to ride at about 30 mph or so.

I currently have a CRF 230 that I use for that and while the motor is perfect the suspension and stability are beyond horrible. It is valved so stiff that I have never bottomed it and on gravel roads I'm almost afraid to go over 30mph because of headshake and wandering.

Basically I'm looking at the 250x for the great chassis and suspension and hoping that the motor won't be too much for the super tight riding I do. (Maybe even detune it and put more flywheel weight?)
  2. Greco

Greco Braap!

Oddometer:
    I would have your suspension re-freshed on the 230. Sounds like something isn't right. Every 230 I have ridden has been butter soft and rock stable. Yours seems to be the opposite. If the engine character of the 230 is what you are looking for, maybe the suspension can be made to fit you better.

But, onto your 250x question. The 230 and the 250X could not be more different. The chassis and suspension on the X will be a quantum leap from your 230. It weighs way less than the 230 and has what will feel like 3 times the power. Also, the power is immediate, not slow building like the 230. Depending on your weight, you may not need anything on the X except for a flywheel weight to slow it down. For checking cows, you may find that the X may be a bit much powerwise. It is still a race bike at heart and loves to get out and run. There are a few really good threads at ThumperTalk in the Yamaha 2-stroke area that describe how to tone it down, if that's what you find you like.

For me, I went the other way. Need more power! As good as the bike is, I wanted to see what I could do to make it better for me. I was having a jetting issue this summer that I solved with a Lectron carb. So nice! Set it and forget it. I'm still a quarter turn rich, but its so much fun that I haven't tried to adjust it. Besides, its still 75 degrees in Colorado. When it gets cold, I may like it a bit rich. Once it cools off and we actually get fall like weather, I'll see how I like it. I live at 6700' above sea level and ride from 5000' to 12,000'. If you are under 2500' in elevation, you may not need to jet it at all. The Lectron wasn't a performance mod per se, but a way to eliminate the jetting changes depending on where I ride.

Next, I went with an FMF Gnarly pipe. Its odd, but the standard FMF pipes for the YZ (non X) do nothing for the X. In fact, they take power away from the X. Dirt Bike did an exhaust test and found that the stock pipe out performed all of the FMF pipes except for the Gnarly. My findings were the same. Much better low end and mid range. It does not rev out as far on the top, but I rarely ride up there anyway. I can carry a gear higher everywhere and a quick jump out of a corner doesn't take so much clutch work to clear. Besides, the plated pipe is easier to care for and looks badass. As a bonus, its thicker walls help ward off the dents that always pop up on a 2 stroke expansion chamber.

Stock gearing is 14/50 and 1st gear is just a tiny bit tall in the really tight stuff. My next update with be with 13/48 gearing. I don't want to lose the 2nd - 3rd gear magic off road, just drop the gearing just a touch for those crawling trails that have me clutching quite a bit now.
    Proettermann likes this.
  3. Jimmy the Heater

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for that detailed reply. It certainly sounds like way too much motor for me but I'll check out those thumper talk threads and see if it can be toned down enough or if something like that new KTM Freeride or Beta XTrainer might be better.
  4. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    The YZ250X is a race bike. Unless you are an agressive fast rider its probably not the best choice.

It kinda does sound like something is wrong with your 230. The suspension is supposed to be marshmallowly soft.

I now own a Beta Xtrainer and love it. But Ive ridden the Freeride and while I do like it I prefer the Xtrainer. The Xtrainer still feels like an enduro bike. The Freeride feels more like a trials/hybrid. (Not saying thats bad thing... Just different).
  5. Jimmy the Heater

Oddometer:
    Hummm I bought the 230 new and its been like that since day 1. I'm also not exactly a featherweight at 170 geared up. Those are problems for another thread tho. It sounds like the YZ isn't for me sadly. The KTM would fall on its face during some of my sections between pastures (one is 24 miles away on gravel) Off to look at the Beta or try to find one of the last years of the KDX200. I have vowed that I will own a 2 stroke in my biking career at some point.
  6. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    from what you've said the xtrainer would be worth looking at. a great bike to learn on if needed due to its forgiving nature, but definitely capable of ridiculous things too.