Yamaha YZF R3 as a Sport Tourer

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by steve gs, Nov 7, 2017.

1. steve gs

steve gs Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did a search and there is already a thread for the R3 emphasizing the performance potential/capabilities/evolution of the R3. That is great, but I am approaching the R3 from another angle; that as a lightweight sport tourer. There is some overlap here depending how much sport one wants to put into the package.

Did considerable posting in Thumpers with the Minimalist Touring thread a few years ago. There we play with sub 250cc machines (not just DS thumpers, but street bikes (twins and singles) too) sharing info on how to get the most out of these bikes.

Enter the 2015+ YZF R3.

Time to play again with a new project! My angle is to push the boundary beyond the commuter stage, to a full fledged tourer. Sure we have to pack and travel lighter than a strato-lounge but that's the fun and challenge. The game plan is the same as in the MT thread; getting the most out of this machine as a touring mount.

Poking around on the net Hepco-Becker (C-Bow) and SW Motech (Blaze System) (there may be others) offer pannier systems. Tank bags look to be easily adaptable.

00P0P_jmElmsgXiXe_1200x900.jpg 49662334_371021_web_1.jpg 49662334_1845262_web.jpg

Looking overall at a touring load in reality it is less than riding 2 up so we know we have the capabilities though a suspension upgrade may be desired.

So.................
  2. YJake

YJake Social Distancing Before It Was Cool

Oddometer:
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    OEM rack from Webike and a 50L top case. Done. Pretty much everything else is personal choice. Seat, brakes, suspension, grips, bla, bla, bla.
  4. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XC-W DR650 T1050SE

Oddometer:
    Cool bike. I am starting to see these a lot in metro ATL.
  5. steve gs

Oddometer:
    Getting serious about saddlebags/panniers.

Went through the instructions (online) for the Hepco Becker C Bow system and they rate their bags at 3kg per bag. That's about the same as a wet sweatshirt. Looks like a neat mounting system but just a little too light in construction to be other than a commuter system. However, following their design path I think a redesigned system that is beefier could handle a bigger bag and payload.

With my dualsports 75lbs would cover everything for an indefinite 3 season tour. Though that might seem excessive it was about half the weight of a pillion. I figure for the R3 I could pare it down to 60 with 20 per bag/pannier, 10-15 in the tail bag and 5 in the tank bag.

Have an email into SW Motech as to their weight rating, still waiting for a reply.

Navin; have monitored your efforts with your R3.
  6. espacef1fan

espacef1fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesnt seem to be many bar risers available to improve comfort.
  7. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Insert cliche about being able to tour on anything.....but....
  8. steve gs

Oddometer:
    Though cautious of the Hepco Becker C Bow saddlebag system, I ordered their mount because I like the concept. I may or may not use their bags as I want to build a system to support the weight distribution already mentioned.

I have the Graves fender eliminator kit which retains the OEM turn signals. The H-B mount shares some of the same mounting points and I wonder if it will clear the width of the turn signals which I want to retain.

12/1/17 Edit; does not share mounting points but can be mounted to or through the Graves unit into a frame gusset. Reinforcement would be prudent. If you are using a fender eliminator kit, innovation will be necessary. With the Graves kit the turn signals will have to be relocated.

I have fitted 4 sets of pannier racks and boxes to my dualsports (BMW and Suzuki) over the years. Some have been straightforward others somewhat more challenging.

So......now it is a matter of what it takes to make this all work.

Once I receive the mount I will post pics as to how this will all go together.

Let the adventure begin
    T-34 and Ginger Beard like this.
  9. Racerrrx

Racerrrx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably cause they're not needed on the R3. I dropped the bars a good 4-5" on mine and it was still roomy compared to a stock 600
    Navin likes this.
  10. steve gs

Oddometer:
    Ok, received the H-B mount and this puppy has some real potential.

It is originally designed to mate with the stock tail configuration but I do not have that. However, the rack will fit up to the Graves unit without much of a fuss if you don't mind drilling a couple of holes, and adding spacers and backing plates.

The best part is that with some minimal fabbing this mount could be rock solid to handle anything. These would be 3 separate pieces (2 additional stays to pillion footpegs and another cross support) that could bolt up to the existing bracket.

Without the additional stays/bracket and by adding a "bearing" plate to the "C" plate one could use any "strap" type saddlebags as long as they weren't just too big to lay out right. Done this way the tail would support the weight and the bracket would eliminate the flopping.

The OEM turn signals will not fit within the bracket width but I have a plan to deal with that.

Onward

102_1930.JPG
  11. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done many tours with just a duffel bag strapped to the passenger seat and a tank bag for incidentals. I don't see luggage as a problem, my only issue would be with the engine. Will it hold up to real miles or be a throwaway after 30 thousand miles like the Ninja 250 was?
    curtis6870 likes this.
  12. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had two ninja 250 with more than that on them. 75000km and 68000km when I sold them

I think the r3 would be good for 100000km/6000mile. Most bikes get economically inadvisable for other things by then when they are so cheap to just upgrade
  13. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Steve gs, keep the articles and pic coming. I too have an R-3 (2017) need ideas , followed your earlier blog on the Suzuki 200, those worked quite well. cms
  14. steve gs

Oddometer:

That is just way too cool. Glad to hear from you. What is your plan for the bike.

Mine is a 2015 that had clocked 2500 miles with the PO. No shortage of performance components and info available via the net if that is your approach. I might trackday mine once in awhile (I have another bike for trackdays) but the main plan is to see how well it will tour against my bigger road bikes and my dualsports. Plus, I needed a new project.
    Jimmy the Heater likes this.
  15. steve gs

Oddometer:
    Update time;

Picked up a set of Nelson Rigg CL890 saddlebags to work into this project. Could have went with larger bags but the 15" length seemed like a good place to start. They are 6" wide but expand to 9", I like them at 9".

Instead of using the "over the seat/tail straps" to hang the bags, I intend to mount the bags to a 1/4" polymer plate and then fit the "C Bow" adapter. This will allow me to direct mount the 890 and be able to use the quick release feature of this mounting system.

I have also ordered the HB top mount plate which replaces the pillion seat. I'll probably add a polymer sheet of some form to the plate once I decide as to what I will use as a tailbag. I have a medium Moto-Fizz that I have used for years but it may be too big for this effort, we'll see.

Have some parts to make this week and would expect all this to come together in about a week.

Onward
  16. LuvPop

LuvPop adv poser

Oddometer:
    This is my preference as well. Much lighter. Are there decent tie down points on the R3? I like the challenge of touring on a small bike, it just seems like more of an adventure. Also, things like mpg and engine rpm at highway speeds matter to this rider. Anyone have any reliable info on these two numbers? On my much missed CBR250R, mpg was outstanding (at less than interstate speeds), and, geared taller, the little single gave 10.5 mph (indicated) per 1k rpm (vs only 9.5 with stock gearing). The new Ninja 400 sounds intriguing, and, at the same price as the Ninja 300 and R3, will probably create bargains in the class. I'm trying to have my ducks in a row in preparation. I'll be following this thread. Thanks. :clap
  17. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same as you, making it a tourer. I would like a rear rack to mount my Givi 30L Top Case and possibly side cases for E-21s (Givi) . Love the bike, small cc bikes rock IMHO. cms
  18. steve gs

Oddometer:
    On my dualsports I have always gone with metal panniers and a soft tail bag. I really like the soft bag pannier look but have always viewed the mounting systems as sloppy and high risk for issues while touring.

With this HB pannier rack and tailplate setup I feel I am in the ballpark for what I want to accomplish. To spell out, I want a rock solid mounted set of soft bags. No flopping around while being easy to mount and remove.

I am posting two pics, one of the HB tailplate which replaces the rear seat. The 2nd pic is with my Wolfman (great products) Mini Beta sitting in place. There are a few details to work through with regards to the fitment. This is the basic look it will have when running with a topbag.

102_1934.JPG 102_1939.JPG

The R3 is a trial run for my next softbag project

Attached Files:

19. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    THis is cool ! I will follow, I do not have an R3 but would love to. Here is my country we get it and also an MT03 same motor as the R3 but without as many plastics and more upright possition. Think it as a CBR vs a CB, some changes.

How much aftermarket stuff is it available for the R3???
  20. steve gs

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard!

Lot's of performance goodies via R3Racing, TST Industries, STG Racing, Woodcraft, Graves, plus many others. A tour around the net will help you. There is also a performance thread here in Road Warriors as I mentioned in a previous post.

For touring the support list is smaller. Many items are adaptable and a few companies make racks for more sophisticated touring setups.
    damasovi likes this.