Yamaha YZF R3 as a Sport Tourer

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by steve gs, Nov 7, 2017.

1. steve gs

steve gs Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have generally completed the install, just a few details to finish off.

Panniers have quick release feature and the turn signals were relocated. In my humble opinion it looks clean and well conceived. The mini Beta looks great in place, however, the medium Moto-Fizz bag does fit though it is big.

Here's a pic showing the license plate/turn signal set up utilizing the Graves fender eliminator and a polymer adapter/extension plate.

102_1940.JPG
    Matt-J2 likes this.
  2. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quick turn throttle tube or assembly is a big improvement on the R3 before you add a CC or throttle lock.
  3. steve gs

Oddometer:
    Here are some pics in better light so the final result is visible.

I left off the tail bag to have a better look at the panniers. Details as to the components involved are in the previous posts

102_1947.JPG 102_1949.JPG 102_1950.JPG
    Raf, Matt-J2 and Vegas800XC like this.
  4. steve gs

Oddometer:
    Here are updated pics with the Wolfman mini beta. I also use a tankbag but not pictured.

102_1952.JPG 102_1953.JPG
    Raf likes this.
  5. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did a 2050 mile trip last Sept through 8 states on a 2017 R3. My touring setup was a Cortech Super 2.0 12L tank bag and a Wolfman small Expedition dry duffle. I used the straps that came with the bag to looped through the helmet hooks under the seat. I hooked the other two straps together and looped them under the front portion of the back seat. I had plenty of room for 7 days travel. This trip was all hotel stays so there was no camp gear. The other comfort item I use is a cramp buster on the throttle. My GPS is hard wired and I have a USB charger mounted for my phone etc. The R3 is stock otherwise.

I was very happy with this setup and will be doing the same in a few weeks. I rode with a variety of other bikes and found the R3 just as capable for touring as the bigger sport bikes in the group.

The AVG MPG indicated trip total was 69.8 with a mix of riding. IMG_20180911_113446.jpg IMG_20180911_113457.jpg
    MCGMB and Matt-J2 like this.
  6. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good for you. A mate has ridden one and raves about it.
  7. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did another trip on the R3. Over 2100 miles in 7 days. Went with 6 other guys for 4 days then solo for two. As last year the R3 performance was awesome. This year I had the addition of a taller screen and heated grips. Both came in handy. I rode with Bridgestone Battlax S20 Evo tires this year. I had no complaints. The days were warm but the mornings were chilly. The Oxford Grips were really nice. I did more interstate than last year. Not my favorite thing but the R3 is capable. 65 MPH sets you at about 7K RPM where you have plenty of passing power if you need to. It brought the millage down a bit to 67.4 indicated. Great trip and I still find the R3 exhilarating to ride through the Appalachian mountain roads.

IMG_20190918_100837.jpg IMG_20190920_081413.jpg IMG_20190919_134840.jpg IMG_20190917_102309.jpg IMG_20190917_111914.jpg IMG_20190916_175855.jpg IMG_20190915_180439.jpg IMG_20190915_112210.jpg
    oic, Matt-J2, BoilerRealm and 2 others like this.
  8. steve gs

Oddometer:
    Thought I would give this thread a bump....

I am primarily a VF/VFR guy.... love my 86 and gen 5. But given posted speed limits there is significant extra capacity.

The R3 shines, as do other equivalents, in everyday backroads sport touring at 45-70 mph. Forget the superslab unless you are just out there to burn miles.

Wrist technique is significantly different between V4's and R3. The soft response of the R3 engine and the corresponding wrist action if applied to the torquey V4 will result a rather wild ride. With the V4's, smooth throttle application is key. You can hammer the R3. Each powerplant type is a great teacher.

Updated rear panniers to the Wolfman Rocky Mtn and will marry them to my Hepco Becker C Bow racks. Will post pics soon.
  9. steve gs

Oddometer:
  10. steve gs

Oddometer:
    Time for a bump and update.

Newly fitted Wolfman Rocky Mtn panniers which are married to the H-B C Bow rack system.

Turn of a key and they are on or off.

IMG_0607.JPG IMG_0606.JPG
  11. wolfmanluggage

wolfmanluggage Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you've got a sweet touring setup there! We are really stoked to see you like our gear, and that it is working out well for you! Ride on!

Wolfman Luggage
    wolfmanluggage.com

Supporting adventures 28 years and counting
    Woof!e
  12. steve gs

Oddometer:
    Not to overload you with pride but what is missing from the pics is the Mini Beta I toss on the tail.

The tankbag is a Denali that I purchased from you for my 03 F650GSD back about that time.

As I have bought and sold bikes the luggage has been retained. The Denali and Mini Beta have been on several bikes over the years from dualsport to sport tourers. Currently this kit (including the Rocky Mtn panniers) can be found on the R3, a 650 Strom, VFR, and a DR250SE.

My compliments to your designers for the R M pannier mounting system.
    wolfmanluggage likes this.
  13. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice configuration. I am still running my Coretech tank bag and Wolfman small expedition duffle touring set-up. Will be heading out for 6 days of riding soon.
    wolfmanluggage likes this.
  14. steve gs

Oddometer:
    Saw your earlier post pics, very nice.

IMO the R3 offers a great foundation for a small sport touring rig. It has adequate power, is modest in weight, is fun to ride, offers excellent fuel economy, and there are luggage/rack options out there that allow the assemblage of a decent kit.

It has become my do it all bike. Though I get very little vacation time I'll be heading out in Sept for somewhere.

Do you have a planned destination yet?
  15. wolfmanluggage

wolfmanluggage Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey--thanks for that reply! We've got a whole team of designer/staff/riders who all put our gear to use and test it out. We're super happy to hear our customers get the same hard work out of their kit that we do ours!

Wolfman Luggage
    wolfmanluggage.com

Supporting adventures 28 years and counting
    Woof!e
  16. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be headed through PA,NY,VT,NH with a group. My friend is working on the route. It should be around 1500 miles or so. There are 5 of us in so far.
  17. steve gs

Oddometer:
    Wanted to shift the panniers a little further fwd but the racks wouldn't permit it. They are as far as possible and fine as they are.

Based on you last set of pics hope you will post some of this trip as well. Certainly some great riding to be found in those states.

I also have a race prepped/tuned R3, which I call my R3r and we are scheduled for a track weekend at the end of the month. Just put the wraps on the mechanical preps/maintenance yesterday. Some paint on the bodywork and it is ready.
  18. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you done any front brake upgrades?
  19. steve gs

Oddometer:
    No.

At my level of riding and only doing trackdays they seem adequate. Actually, they are not as important as good throttle control

At my "home" track there are only 2 heavy braking zones and 1 moderate. Coming off the main straight it's only at about 100 or so and I roll into the first turn at about 70 with a slight roll off for the next couple of turns. All the rest is flow and momentum like on a 125 GP bike, but the R3 is much heavier and slower. It's not like the bigger bikes running 140-150mph+ coming down to 70 or so. That's where you need brakes.
  20. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no brake mods either. I flush the DOT4 every season though. I can tell a slight improvement in pressure when I make the change.
    I would recommend to anyone with a concern or complaint about their bikes brake performance to flush/bleed with fresh fluid then test. As noted above I can tell a difference with fluid only a year old.