Yamaha YZF R3 as a Sport Tourer

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by steve gs, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Hero of Moka

Hero of Moka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if its possible to use a magnetic tank bag on the R3 (2nd gen)? I'm guessing unpossible or need to somehow mount some magnets/metal on the inside of the plastic tank covers.

Also, I scrounged up some more pics of the new Electric Teal color.
    20201217_001.jpg
    EpbT4hKUYAEthlz.jpg
    Chillis and T-34 like this.
  2. LOUFY034

LOUFY034 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was surprised how good the new teal color scheme looks in person.
    it's actually pretty cool. A dealer near philly had a few when i was in a couple weeks ago.
    Definitely different.
    Chillis likes this.
  3. slowrider71

slowrider71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I doubt the magnets would work. The plastic tank covers are two far from the metal tank benieth. I have a Coretech strap on bag that works well.

IMG_20200719_095746622_HDR.jpg
    Matt-J2 likes this.
  5. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did 850 miles over 3 days on the R3. Met up with 3 Guys in Somerset PA then rode south. We did RT 33 to Harrisonburg VA where we stayed 2 nights. Saturday we rode. Skyline drive to the BRP. We got off the BRP on RT 56 which turned out to be a real gem of a road. Crabtree falls is a nice scenic stop. We headed north on 151 then back up Skyline Drive to 33. Sunday we headed to RT 250 back north then through Seneca Rocks WV. Came back into PA in on RT 72/26/281. Great ride. Still enjoying the R3 as my sport touring bike.
    I am approaching 14000 miles on it now. I bought it with 600 miles on it. My mods are, heated grips, a USB power port, and GPS mount. A Zero gravity touring screen is installed. I had been running Bridgestone Battlax tires but the millage sucks. I am trying Dunlap sportmax tires now. I had no issues with them on this trip. We had rain and i did not notice any problems.
    Touring gear consists of a Coretech tank bag and a Wolfman small expedition dey duffle. I works well.
    View attachment 2913548 View attachment 2913550 View attachment 2913549 IMG_20210410_181247262_HDR.jpg View attachment 2913551
    dtysdalx2 and old1959 like this.
  6. Hero of Moka

Hero of Moka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @theimer2 - Sounds like a great trip! How do you attach your drybag to the back - straps under the pillion seat? Are there any hidden hooks under there for strapping to?

Still patiently waiting the Electric Teal to show up at my dealer. Hope it wasn't on one of the boats lined up for the canal....
  7. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use the straps that came with the bag. Two I hook to the helmet holders then the other straps I loop together. Those go just behind the latch. It works out well.
  8. steve gs

steve gs Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So how do you rate the Zero vs the stock windscreen.

Great write up, thanks for sharing.
  9. theimer2

theimer2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's some buffering with it. It doesn't bother me too much. I like the height as you do have something to tuck behind unlike the stock one.
  10. Hero of Moka

Hero of Moka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally! Picked up last night and have got 70 miles on so far. My memory of the demo ride a couple years ago was correct - fit, weight, power, suspension all feel like it was made tailored to me. This color is so beautiful too - kinda changes depending on the time of day. So glad I waited patiently for it to deliver.
    20210616_143831.jpg
    Pumpkins will be coming off tonight and slip-on soon so Stacey and I can hear it.
    Chillis, dtysdalx2, Year1911 and 2 others like this.
  11. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw one like that at the dealership yesterday.
    I could definitely ride that bike!
  12. Hero of Moka

Hero of Moka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finished up the break-in on a ~300 mile ride yesterday. Bike feels great on the country roads, and sounds great with the Akrapovic slip-on.

Thinking about the taller windscreen for more to tuck behind when passing - anyone have experience with either the Yamaha endurance screen or others on the 2019+ R3?

Attached Files:

13. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    handsome bike.
  14. Snizz

Snizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just turned 3k on my 2019, and am still amazed with how fun and comfortable it is!
    Any recommendations on a small, good fitting tail pack? Wallet, keys and phone size, not a fan of tank bags..

Attached Files:

proeliator likes this.
  15. Hero of Moka

Hero of Moka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an old hand-me-down MotoFizz tailbag that fits just right, but I don't think the brand exists anymore. When Revzilla selection is dismal, check out Webike. The HenlyBegins stuff is good quality. Tanax is also another good brand we don't get in the states that they sell. If you get the DHL shipping, its usually really quick, even the way things are these days.
    https://japan.webike.net/bm/brd/Tail+Bags/HenlyBegins/3125/289/

I did my first oil change last night and lord almighty they had that oil filter on there tight!
    Snizz likes this.
  16. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a cycleguys Fastpack on my GSX-R750 and it works great!
    And they make one for an R3.
    https://www.wamdistributors.com.au/collections/example-product-title-25-99
    Snizz likes this.
  17. LuvPop

LuvPop adv poser

Oddometer:
    If anyone asked me, my recommendation would be to not keep valuables anywhere other than on my person, given the consequences of loosing such things. A good jacket or small backpack works for me.
  18. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only time I've lost my wallet riding is when it flew out of my jacket pocket heading down the highway. I hit an off ramp soon after and a pickup that was behind me pulled off to tell me about my wallet! Found it on the side of the ride though had to walk around a bit to find all the stuff that was in it.

Now I drop it all into a tank bag so I can see it's there, and zip it up. I'm always paranoid I haven't zipped my backpack when I use it so I don't like to keep those types of things there.