Yamhammer TW200 Trail Hack

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by mikepa, Jan 1, 2009.

1. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    While delivering some parts for my new hack project to Jay at Dauntless Motors (www.dauntlessmotors.com) yesterday, I spied this very capable looking trail rig based on a Yamaha TW200, mated to a chassis/"tub" of Jay's design:

[​IMG]

Straight-on view.

[​IMG]

Profile showing the "tub".

[​IMG]

Rear view. The Hella lamp assemblies are a nice touch!

[​IMG]

Close-up of the leading link front-end, a full-up custom design by Jay and his crew. As many much more knowledgeable than I have noted, designing a full-on/straight-up hack is the right way to go. Thinking that you'll want to ride the tub "naked" at times only makes for a foul-handling sidecar. A leading link front-end is, as Martha S. noted before her incarceration, ". . . a very good thing".

[​IMG]

A close-up of the tub's rear wheel. On my BMW rigs, I've used the tug's rear wheel on the tub. On this design, the tub's front wheel has been used instead. Very clever, and this makes for a nice disc brake set-up as well. There's an infinity of design possibilities when you embark on the unnatural mating of a prone-to-falling-over motorbike to a vehicle with only one wheel, and that one on the side.

This rig looks like The Little Engine that Could. I think it could go most anywhere except the superslab. Apparently, the owner lives in a very remote part of WA State, and will use it around his property.

Jay said it's geared for a top speed of 42MPH. He said he hit 3rd gear just getting out of the parking lot for a test ride.

Looks like a ton of fun!
  2. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:
    That`s just too cool for its own good!

Oi loikes that. :evil
  3. kliff

kliff Retired Ole Phart

Oddometer:
    :thumb Outstanding.... I like the idea of hacking smaller bikes, Should make an excellent in town "errand machine."
  4. Caddy82rats

Caddy82rats Long timer

Oddometer:
    great stuf
  5. johno

johno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mount Gambier, South Australia, Australia.
    Very neet:clap Dauntless looks like a great place to hang around:tb :tb
  6. Richard-NL

Richard-NL Sidecar Fan

Oddometer:
    Looks nice, but:

Maximum Torque 1.54kg-m (11.1ft-lb)@ 6,500 rpm

and the front brake holder, should not have been made this way.

This effort for such a bike is overdone. It's just over the top, for such a tiny city-bike. If it's just a statement, they should have made it completely right...... not like this....

But yeah, I agree, it "looks nice".

What do I know......

Richard-NL :bmwrider
  7. bman

bman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    City bike? That's the last thing I would have described the TW as.
    Maybe in Holland.:dunno
  8. Paradox Pete

Paradox Pete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'me the guy with the T-Dub hack that Jay did such a beautiful job of work on...
    It will be ridden on 95%+ dirt roads around the old goldrush area we have lived in for near 20 years now.
    I sold my last bike 30 years ago and got into trail horses 20 years ago. (Guess what? You can hurt yourself just as easy if not more so with equines instead of bikes :-(
    No cow work to do anymore and I didn't enjoy riding "for it's own sake" anymore either, nor dealing with wire cuts, colic, mtn.lion wounds on my "ride" so I got back into bikes again.
    I got the T-Dub with the $'s I would normally have burnt-up on hay for my string of ponies that I sold and swapped-off.
    T-Dub has heavier spokes/rims and fatter tires than really neccessary for a bike this displacement.
    Gearing was "close ratio" and too high.
    Once I went to 55 then 58 tooth rear sprocket and new DID chain from "stock 50 tooth and cheesey chain the bike got interesting.
    2nd gear was now where 1st had been and I didn't get those awful gearlash/chain snatch noises that sound like you are going to knock the bottom end out of the motor when climbing steep, rocky places.
    I really don't like telescopic front ends and had been packing a leading link from a scrapped Greeves Griffon aroudn for the last 40 years waiting for something worthwhile enough to graft it onto, but it was too narrow for the T-Dub's fat front tire, and I was finding it really unpleasant to have my front end get "loose" on the flour-like dust milled by log truck traffic. (Never did master front wheel drifts.)
    I have loved the look of the old WW2 BMWs and Zundapps, and the Ural in mil. form (especially with PKM in pintle mount :-) is my ideer of the ultimate machine, but is too much for me in weight, cost, lower mpg for what I do and want to do.
    I started having a look at my speedometer and found I rarely went over 25 or 30 mph,(40 mph feels REALLY fast on rutted dirt roads to ME...So, I'me a wuss, so what?), so why not use the less than desireable traits of the T-Dub the best way I could?(Overly strong wheels & spokes, close ratio box....)
    Losing the telescopic front end was a "given" if I wasn't going to get rid of the bike & start over, and a hack makes sense when you have two repaired knees and a bum hip from bike, car & horse wrecks and getting hit while trying to walk across a city street on my yearly "visit" to the "smoke".
    Haven't ridden the machine yet, but plan to chain up the rear wheel and have a go as soon as I get it home.
    IF it works out for me I plan on an old-fashioned leather double-spring saddle and larger gas tank, and losing the "George Jetson" styling.

All that "city bike" talk kind of hurt my feelings...:DLOL!
    ! mile in 40 or 50 might be on pavement, and I see deer and occassionaly blackbear, and once in a very great while, moose. (By the way, bear excretia is EXTREMELY slippery....No traction at ALL, and piles of re-cycled berries and roadkill about as big as you could load with a grain scoop.)
    (What's your "city" like? :huh :-)
    Nearest town is 13 miles of badly maintained, partially paved road away and is pop. 900. (10x that a century ago during the goldrush...)

Oh, Richard..How SHOULD the front brake have been done? (Seriously...)

Paradox Pete (the artist formerly known as "Old N' Tyred" over on the TW200 forum)
  9. MNRon

MNRon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that this is one of the sweetest things I've ever seen. Ride the crap out of it and let us know how it works out.
  10. LoCat

LoCat Time it's a bitch

Oddometer:
    I have a TW200 and a Ural. I don't want to sell the TW becuase it was the go to bike for short runs but after getting the Ural I love it and with the weather we have had of late it's a stable platform and fun.

Wish I had a place (off-road) to ride such a rig!

I have to go see those guys or at least their shop.

Enjoy it.

LoCat
  11. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    WOW ! ! ! I was at Dauntless with a friend the first part of Dec. and saw the bike at that time. I'm a fan a smaller bikes so I took an interest in it, as did my friend.

I hope to see some ride reports featuring that TW200.:clap
  12. AceRph

AceRph Affluenza Free!

Oddometer:
    Where the stupidest people on earth run things
    Looks like a great deal of fun, Pete.

I'll be waiting for a ride report.
  13. Richard-NL

Richard-NL Sidecar Fan

Oddometer:
    Now I’ve said something…… :evil :D :huh :lol3

Honoustly, overhere, bikes like this TW are only used in the "urban jungle". No-one seriously rides these off-road.

In my opinion, the front brake holder should not have been welded together with the swingarm, but should be able to run free on the axle with a connection backwards to the legs.

Enjoy your bike. :wink:

14. Paradox Pete

Paradox Pete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Richard, (or anyone else),
    WOuldn't that free-floating set-up be the ideal for a ROAD bike?
    I'me self-limited to 40mph so mebbe different rules apply?

I'me happy if the front end rises under brakeing to full suspension travel, usually just before I hit one of those potholes you could bury a hog in....:eek1It's "one of the (many) BEST THINGS" I can recall about leading link front ends.
    As I recall you could power deeper into a banked corner and when you hit the holes & ruts you didn't "top-out" and blow hydrolic oil over youself with a resounding, wrist-jarring "CLANK!"
    Also, instead of developing oversteer with less fork angle on compressed telescopics, your steering slowed down and got LESS twitchy if the front end ROSE.
    But I am seriously behind the times....Last of my bikes I sold 30 years ago was a 1942 WLA Army Harley, and "most fun" was hill-climbing with big singles and running the desert sandwashes 35 to 45 years ago. ("What do I know?" in spades for ME!:lol3)
    My Sachs125cc w/leading link was the best handling/most forgiving machine I ever rode even if the gearbox was easy to knock out of adjustment.

Paradox Pete
  15. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    Well, There's your problem. This isn't intended for a "serious" off-road bike- it's a "back 40" bike!

When I was a kid, my Great Uncle had some mini-bikes he used to run the fenceline and such. No body over here seriously dirtbikes on mini's(well somebody probably does- it takes all kinds :-)

Serious wasn't in the vocabulary when my cousins and I were tearing up the Montana wheat fields on those things!

I think this little hack looks like a blast and should fit the owner's needs to a T

:clap
  16. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    sweet! :thumb
  17. XR200

XR200 n00b

Oddometer:
    Paradox Pete,

That Tractor Wheel 200 hack is the greatest use of creativity and imagination I have seen for a very long time.
    I hope you enjoy it.:clap
  18. Richard-NL

Richard-NL Sidecar Fan

Oddometer:
    Hey, discussion is good, but don't make it seem as I have a problem. That's not correct. :deal

Yes, my kids used to have a PW 50 Yamaha with sidecar. Great bike and we all loved it and had fun with it, but that was a cheap 750 buck sidecar. No LL and no plans ever to put one on it. (Money-wise). Technically speaking, it should have had one. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    This TW has one and has more (expensive) parts. Than you’re talking serious money. And I still think the same about it. Looks good, I agree, but the (same) money could have been invested better on a (little more expensive) bike with just a little (a lot) more power.
    My opinion. Your problem? :wink: Or just missing and overreading my point? OK. It's all relative.
    Richard-NL :bmwrider <o:p></o:p>
  19. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:

You have nice bikes & lots of cool info and photos, but you do come off kinda bristly. That a Dutch thing or just you?:smooch

Sure you could put the money into more power, but that doesn't seem to be what the owner wanted. He wants a solid rig that does rough roads around where he lives with low fuel consumption at under 40mph. My guess is he has that.I suspect that the brake mounts might be better as you suggested but at the same time it probably makes no practical difference inside his design parameters. I'd love to take that bike for a romp- it looks like fun!:ricky
  20. Richard-NL

Richard-NL Sidecar Fan

Oddometer:
    Both. :D Sorry. It's just me or maybe a translation thing. (had to look in the on-line dictionary, what "bristly" means). Know what I'm talking about, but never want(ed) to be "the man who knows everything." OK now?

Back to topic: What the owner wanted, was stated a lot later. I respect that, but that doesn't change my opinion.