Yankee go home.....route advice needed for Kentucky, central Ohio into MI.

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by hardwaregrrl, Mar 17, 2012.

1. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all. Leaving next week from Atlanta to visit family in suburban Detroit. Wondering if you could point me to some nice roads, possibly long stretchs of dirt/gravel roads runing N to S? I'll proably take 2 days to get up there if there is a need to deviate for some interesting off road??? Nice camp spots would be sweet as well. Whatcha all got?TIA
  2. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good adventure.:ricky just hitting "avoid highways" on google maps makes it look pretty interesting and not too bad at just 15 hours. I might try this next time I head down to Road Atlanta, I'd love to take the bike down there but the thought of eleven hours on th slab makes me :arg:puke2 If you have GPS, seems like everyboby has one but me, you can get into all sorts of adventures by hitting "shortest route" but you pro'ly already knew that. Either of these methods will likely route you through western Ohio which is pretty flat and boring but should provide miles of gravel and dirt roads straight through the corn and soy bean fields. Good luck and have fun.
  3. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chip!! Come on guys!!! Your secret road will be safe with me!:D
  4. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Nope, hardly any gravel left in western Ohio, it's pretty much been all paved in the last few years. South central and south eastern Ohio are great bets, I'd personally try for something that ends up crossing the river at Maysville Ky and angling NW from there.
  5. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I take it your route will be not far off I-65, not too much off the Southern end of KY, there are a few short gravel roads near Mammoth Cave, but you'd be disappointed in them. More gravel roads near Greenville KY (Muhlenberg and Ohio Counties), but that's out of your way. When you plan on coming through Bowling Green area???

Try BMW Blake for around Nashville, seems I remember him mentioning some roads out side of the ville.

BTW- since your route will be close I can give you my cell # just in case something happens coming or going. Let me know.
  6. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    Ohio flattens out and gets boring about 20-30 miles to the east of Columbus. If you are not in a hurry, I would come in around Marietta.

I have been using my GPS and just setting a final destination (basically the same as using a compass, but it's easier to get an idea of where you are at). Follow the arrow and explore your way there.
  7. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:
    The last 3 hours or so into Northern OH & Michigan will be pretty boring no matter which way you go. If you enter the state in the southeast corner, you'll at least have a few good hours of riding before getting into the traffic and whatnot.

There are numerous state parks with (generally) decent facilities all over the place in the SE part of Ohio.

For twisties, you could start in marietta and take SR 821. You'll still make decent time to the north until things get flat.

Could also enter at Portsmouth and take the northbound twisty state routes towards Chillicothe and beyond. Things get pretty flat just west of that area but will provide some decent riding until things get boring south of Circleville.

If you decide to cross in on the SE border, drop me a PM. Would make a good stopping point and can direct you to some good eats / camp sites.
  8. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    The floodwall at Portsmouth is drop dead stunning. Where in the Detroit metro are you headed? There is some nice riding west of Detroit that will get you to the north of Detroit and skip the madness of the metro.
  9. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Err...not sure yet. My sister is in southfield and my dad is in warren. Not sure which house I'm hitting first.
  10. exoff-roadgoat

Oddometer:
    Too bad because to get to either you have to ride into the metro mess. Mid day on I 696 isn't too bad, they go like hell in the left lane. My mistress has a place in Warren off of 12 mile.:crash
  11. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    My Dad is at Masonic and Hoover. I got to do a 10k run on 696 when I was in high school before they opened it. It was strange, then 2 years later I was zipping home on it riding my TW200. :D
  12. exoff-roadgoat

Oddometer:
    I just started reading your Broke down in Ontario RR. Nice Vet! Maybe I'll see it at the Woodward Dream Cruise? My wife and I laugh everytime we go by the Big Beaver exit too. Sometimes we do more than laugh.:evil